PDA

View Full Version : help me find a pc gaming laptop for skyrim

DonVito1337
02-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey 360 haven I recently took a look at all the mods available for skyrim (pc) and i was blown away so i decided that i want to get a solid gaming laptop
so i could mod like crazy. I am a noob for pc gaming (i have always been a console guy).

My question is can anyone recommend good laptop for gaming? i want to play skyrim on pc and I want it to look good. I got a budget of $1000 so anywhere around that is fine.

CloudStrife7x
02-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Hmm well my laptop i got: Alienware m14x can run skyrim with mods at ultra settings, but costed about $700+ dollars more than your budget XD, this link might help: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375410,00.asp but stay away from HPs they suck XD, also Toshiba and Asus make some awesome laptops, so does Acer, just be sure to go for one with at least 4gbs of ram, Windows 7 64 bit, a 1gb video card(not the integrated one to the motherboard needs to be nvidia or ati card), intel core i7(i5 can work as well) or Amd Processor(not sure on this one since i havent ever used amd processors but they are suppose to be just as good as intel) and either sata hard drive or a solid state drive(these ones are more expensive and not very big but run fast). Its kinda hard for me at least to recommend something im not really good at those things, still hope i helped in someway :).

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 04:38 AM
check out the Dell website they good deals

DonVito1337
02-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Hmm well my laptop i got: Alienware m14x can run skyrim with mods at ultra settings, but costed about $700+ dollars more than your budget XD, this link might help: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375410,00.asp but stay away from HPs they suck XD, also Toshiba and Asus make some awesome laptops, so does Acer, just be sure to go for one with at least 4gbs of ram, Windows 7 64 bit, a 1gb video card(not the integrated one to the motherboard needs to be nvidia or ati card), intel core i7(i5 can work as well) or Amd Processor(not sure on this one since i havent ever used amd processors but they are suppose to be just as good as intel) and either sata hard drive or a solid state drive(these ones are more expensive and not very big but run fast). Its kinda hard for me at least to recommend something im not really good at those things, still hope i helped in someway :).

check out the Dell website they good deals

Thanks guys you actually helped out alot
thank you :)

TheQuagmire
02-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Stay away from Dell & Alienware, there laptops are over priced, and garbage.
If your looking for bang for your dollar, look for Sager laptops, very good for gaming and modest prices.
Hp entertainment laptops are pretty decent aswell.
Also Acer has some very decent laptops aswell.

I used Sager for high end laptop design, and I never had one single issue with them ever. Hp & Acer I purchase constantly and have never failed me once.

Make sure to purchase a laptop with at LEAST two processor cores, 2-4 Gb ram perfurably 800mhz or faster, hard drive is pretty much meaningless, but if you can get a 7200 rpm HDD over the usual 5400 rpm laptop HDD. If you have big denero, a solid state drive isnt a bad idea to really decrease load times, but its expensive.

Your #1 part on the laptop will be the graphics card, It CANNOT be SHARED OR INTEGRATED PERIOD, DEDICATED graphics is what you want in a gaming laptop period. The card will of course be a Mobile version of a desktop card, so do your research. 512mb or higher, the more pipelines the better, and clock speed of at least 533mhz.

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 06:40 AM
If your looking for bang for your dollar, look for Sager laptops, very good for gaming and modest prices.

I used Sager for high end laptop design, and I never had one single issue with them ever. Hp & Acer I purchase constantly and have never failed me once.

Make sure to purchase a laptop with at LEAST two processor cores, 2-4 Gb ram perfurably 800mhz or faster, hard drive is pretty much meaningless, but if you can get a 7200 rpm HDD over the usual 5400 rpm laptop HDD. If you have big denero, a solid state drive isnt a bad idea to really decrease load times, but its expensive.

Your #1 part on the laptop will be the graphics card, It CANNOT be SHARED OR INTEGRATED PERIOD, DEDICATED graphics is what you want in a gaming laptop period. The card will of course be a Mobile version of a desktop card, so do your research. 512mb or higher, the more pipelines the better, and clock speed of at least 533mhz.
Dells garbage wow....ur opinion buddy...i had my dell for years never had any problem at all...runs fast, smooth and quite....Got it for around 1200 but i also added alot of programs like microsoft word,powerpoint and etc....so as i stated before check out dell, but its really wat u like, speed, graphic wise or watever u want...just do ur research....

CloudStrife7x
02-03-2012, 07:02 AM

i disagree with the alienware and dell being garbage if anything HP is garbage greatest piece of crap ive ever worked with, plus my Alienware is a beast and i love it

TheQuagmire
02-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Dell + Alienware are the same company, and their use of hardware has been legendary to hardware developers like me, as in they produce crap motherboards in their systems that fail, and besides Alienwares bios and those awesome issues, an extra grand for the brand name is worthless.

I do agree with HP, they have gone down hill big time, malware and rootkits on recent purchases really saddens me, but for a experienced builder like myself its easy to get around, but for the average user I know how bad it is.

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Dell + Alienware are the same company, and their use of hardware has been legendary to hardware developers like me, as in they produce crap motherboards in their systems that fail, and besides Alienwares bios and those awesome issues, an extra grand for the brand name is worthless.

I do agree with HP, they have gone down hill big time, malware and rootkits on recent purchases really saddens me, but for a experienced builder like myself its easy to get around, but for the average user I know how bad it is.
well guessing by ur statement u know way more then me about computers...lol...but as a average user (meaning log in, go online,download apps and games,burn and play music,upload files,use AIM and skype,make programs) all that and my little o Dell runs fast and never had any issues..guess im the lucky one then..love u dell my dell..lol...but serioulsy u really know ur computers, hope ur using that for good use and go to school for it and if u already did (dont know how old u r) then i hope u work in that field....o yea hp is horrible lol

CloudStrife7x
02-03-2012, 07:39 AM

i know alienware and dell are the same company but regardless i have experience no issues with them(personally) then any other company i have used, dont get me wrong i have had issues with dell customer computers but if i did i could fix it easily since im an experienced tech, and fixing hardware issues is quite easy for me. To me its sometimes more often the customer who doesn't know anything about computers who ends up screwing it up more often than not, at least in my experiences, that how its been. i hate when customers try to fix their computers and have no idea what they are doing and completing screw it up and bring it to me and say can you fix it for cheap lol.

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 07:43 AM
i know alienware and dell are the same company but regardless i have experience less issues with them they any other company i have used, dont get me wrong i have had issues with dell customer computers but i myself havent experienced issues with dell's and even if i did i could fix it easily since im an experianced tech, and fixing hard issues is quite easy for me.
well i know who im callin when i have an issue...keep ur phone cloud might be callin u soon lol

TheQuagmire
02-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Yea I know computers inside and out, everyone calls me for repairs. I also used to work for a company that made high end systems for hospitals so I really got to play with epic tech for awhile.

Customers are idiots, but luckily for me none of them ever opened the hardware to fix them, worst case senario one actually dropped his laptop on the beach or something, but i recovered the disk drives no problem. Doctors I swear... smart people... least they were smarter than real estate agents... now thats a breed of customers you would cringe a newspaper.

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Yea I know computers inside and out, everyone calls me for repairs. I also used to work for a company that made high end systems for hospitals so I really got to play with epic tech for awhile.

Customers are idiots, but luckily for me none of them ever opened the hardware to fix them, worst case senario one actually dropped his laptop on the beach or something, but i recovered the disk drives no problem. Doctors I swear... smart people... least they were smarter than real estate agents... now thats a breed of customers you would cringe a newspaper.
now that i can agree with u on..o look yay i gave u ur first thanked...now im special to u lol.......NO HOMO X2

TheQuagmire
02-03-2012, 08:26 AM
I feel special so special now lol

Yayanotherlogin
02-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Hey 360 haven I recently took a look at all the mods available for skyrim (pc) and i was blown away so i decided that i want to get a solid gaming laptop
so i could mod like crazy. I am a noob for pc gaming (i have always been a console guy).

My question is can anyone recommend good laptop for gaming? i want to play skyrim on pc and I want it to look good. I got a budget of $1000 so anywhere around that is fine.

Just my 2 cents: Unless you plan on doing a lot of your gaming while out and about, it might make more sense to get a budget laptop for school/work, browsing, etc, and an actual PC for gaming. You get a better bang for your buck on desktops, and the upgrade path is way cheaper and easier 2 years down the road, when you want to switch video cards, etc. You can do both for where your budget is at, with a little looking.

If you do need a laptop, a few suggestions:
Don't get punked on the upgrade path: e.g. You get 4GB of RAM; laptop supports 8. When you decide to upgrade you have to buy two 4GB sticks because they gave you two 2GB instead of one 4GB (filling the slots).

If you can pay a little extra to not have the bloatware added (some let you, some don't), it is usually worth it.

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I feel special so special now lol
i knew u would lol

Ryudo
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I honestly wouldn't buy a laptop for gaming purposes. The battery would die out fast anyways, probably 3-5 hours into it, especially playing on high settings or a game like Skyrim.

With a $1000 budget you can buy a beast of a desktop computer that's of much better use to you.

TheQuagmire
02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
ram is really pointless after 4 gb's, most games these days barely hinge 4gigs, anything more is only useful for compiling, or graphics, and rendering of course, but gaming is perfectly fine at 4, 6 gigs is max honestly. Also 64 bit is becoming more used with software and games, its really up to what you'll be doing, but for gaming I would honestly just stay with 32 bit and stay safe.

CloudStrife7x
02-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I honestly wouldn't buy a laptop for gaming purposes. The battery would die out fast anyways, probably 3-5 hours into it, especially playing on high settings or a game like Skyrim.

With a $1000 budget you can buy a beast of a desktop computer that's of much better use to you.

yeah for his budget a desktop would definitely be a better choice.

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
i just wanna add this is why i love this site..this guy asked a simple question and he got like 10 different great responses....nowhere else on the web can u find this much help...keep it up guys....

DonVito1337
02-03-2012, 11:06 PM
@red hulk haha yea 360 havens the best

Hmmm i think i might go with a desktop, that can work for me.

So guys what desktop do yall recommend? dell?

Noctis Caelum
02-03-2012, 11:31 PM

i would say dell...but i do know stay away from hewitt packard HP sucks ass lol

CloudStrife7x
02-03-2012, 11:38 PM

yes this site rules, as for a desktop i would go with anything but HP lol, they just suck XD, acer, dell, or asus make good desktops :), if you want you could also customize your own, there are various sites that let you customize everything in the desktop and even the tower itself, but i would only go that route if you knew want you are doing, otherwise its better to go with one of the companies.

voidmage09
02-04-2012, 04:44 AM
i say ur better off just building ur own gaming pc i say it lot cheaper just to build it

DonVito1337
02-04-2012, 09:35 AM
After a little research I think i might get the Alienware x51 its not a bad price $699
here are the specs:
Intel Core i3 Dual Core (standard) and Intel Core i5 and i7 Quad Core Processor Options
Intel H61 Express Chipset Architecture
Mini-ITX Motherboard
Powerful NVIDIA Graphics Card Options
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 (Standard)
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555
Configure with up to 8GB of DDR3 Memory (4GB Standard); 2x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
Fast 7,200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (Standard) or optional Blu-ray Disc Reader
Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN (standard)
USB 2.0 (6x); USB 3.0 (2x); Microphone In; Headphone/Speaker Out; HDMI 1.4 Output; RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet; Front, Rear and Center Speaker Ports; SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK); SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply (Standard) or optional 330 Watt Power Supply
Dual-orientation tower system dimensions: h: 13.5" (343mm) x w: 3.74" (95mm) x d: 12.52" (318mm)
Starting Weight: 12.1 lbs. (5.49 Kg.)

will this play skyrim on good settings?is this desktop a good choice?

TheQuagmire
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Medium - High settings with the standard hardware options, its actually very decent for the price, very decent.

Noctis Caelum
02-04-2012, 12:47 PM
damn where u find that out..very good price and great specs...didnt know desktops where that cheap..must buy

CloudStrife7x
02-04-2012, 06:01 PM
After a little research I think i might get the Alienware x51 its not a bad price $699
here are the specs:
Intel Core i3 Dual Core (standard) and Intel Core i5 and i7 Quad Core Processor Options
Intel H61 Express Chipset Architecture
Mini-ITX Motherboard
Powerful NVIDIA Graphics Card Options
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 (Standard)
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555
Configure with up to 8GB of DDR3 Memory (4GB Standard); 2x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
Fast 7,200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (Standard) or optional Blu-ray Disc Reader
Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN (standard)
USB 2.0 (6x); USB 3.0 (2x); Microphone In; Headphone/Speaker Out; HDMI 1.4 Output; RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet; Front, Rear and Center Speaker Ports; SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK); SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply (Standard) or optional 330 Watt Power Supply
Dual-orientation tower system dimensions: h: 13.5" (343mm) x w: 3.74" (95mm) x d: 12.52" (318mm)
Starting Weight: 12.1 lbs. (5.49 Kg.)

will this play skyrim on good settings?is this desktop a good choice?

that is a really good price, you might want to got with the i5 intel core and the 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 as long as they dont up the price to much, just so you could play on high/ultra settings but its not necessary :)

DonVito1337
02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
damn where u find that out..very good price and great specs...didnt know desktops where that cheap..must buy

Hey red hulk yeah i found here seems you can customize your computer some more as well

http://www.alienware.com/

Noctis Caelum
02-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Hey red hulk yeah i found here seems you can customize your computer some more as well

http://www.alienware.com/
bout to checkout now..i have a laptop but no desktop...i might soon thinks to u

TheQuagmire
02-05-2012, 06:43 AM
It's a micro case, thus micro mobo. For 700 its very decent, because with bought parts its pretty close to the 700 mark, I just wouldn't go and spend 5k on one of their laptops lol.

DemonBooter
02-08-2012, 03:50 AM
Have you ever looked into barebone kits? I built my laptop and desktop using tigerdirect.com or direct.com if I rem I think they changed there name....you can do research on eveey little part if you really wanted to get hardcore :)

blakehendricks
03-01-2012, 05:43 AM
If youve got the money look into alienware or phoenix computers

Geimi
03-04-2012, 02:15 AM
I hate skyrim D: