PDA

View Full Version : I got a new computer!!

Emerald Lance
07-28-2012, 04:56 AM
...because my old one had a motherboard and hard drive failure. *sad face*

All my source code was on that sucker! I had a few editors in progress, so now I gotta start over again... *sad face*

But my new computer's pretty cool! Nothing too fancy, but it's the first computer I've ever owned that wasn't either a hand-me-down or bought used. HP P6-2120 with AMD A6-3620 APU with 2.2GHz and 6GB DDR3 RAM. The processing power's kinda low by today's standards, but it being a quad-core and the 6GB RAM totally make up for it. *happy face*

It's running W7 right now, but I got a coupon for W8 at $15. So should I do it? Is W8 any good? Or is it basically the next Vista? I haven't heard anything about it, so I don't know. *thinking face*

Vincent Valentine
07-28-2012, 04:59 AM
always make backups of that :p (learned the hard way) but anyways that sucks that your comp had problems but you are also lucky cause i need a new one (got led leaks on my screen, sometimes when i type it jumps to somewhere else where i'm typing) mouse double clicks stuff when i click it once lol

CloudStrife7x
07-28-2012, 05:28 AM
glad you got a new computer Emerald, as for Windows 8 it doesnt look very impressive to me, but i will wait till it releases then check it out, before upgrading from Windows 7

thegutta
07-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Congrats Lancer on your new computer enjoy bro :D

Serious_M
07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
this is a nice pc , enjoy it all the way Emerald Lance

Renegade
07-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I tried the release preview. I didn't really like what I seen. Then again, I'm not much of a Metro UI fan.

PUR3 RAF3X
07-28-2012, 09:27 AM
You can try the W8 to go before you change from 7 to 8.
http://www.chip.de/artikel/Windows-To-Go-Windows-8-auf-dem-USB-Stick-installieren_54945116.html

Bongmantv
07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Use VMware, you can have multiple OS installed.

technoobie
07-28-2012, 02:54 PM
glad you got a new computer Emerald, as for Windows 8 it doesnt look very impressive to me, but i will wait till it releases then check it out, before upgrading from Windows 7

I haven't seen w8. But I haven't heard any thing impressive about it. I have a few geek friends so I took there words on it. They never let me down. But eventually I want to experience for myself. So I will also wait for it to be release.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S lll

Original Boss
07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
How much did it cost ? i got mine for £300

Specs

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
7.1GB RAM
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
3TB internal hardrive along with a 500GB hardrive

Its not bad its runs most new games some can actually run on maximum settings which i was amazed at plus most of my emulators can run now since they take a lot of power to run i think my case is old its a dell xps 420

lonelyhero
07-28-2012, 03:59 PM
windows 8 betas werent bad when u could tell it to boot directly to the destop but they removed that in the newest build and i dont like metro

CloudStrife7x
07-28-2012, 04:50 PM
I tried the release preview. I didn't really like what I seen. Then again, I'm not much of a Metro UI fan.

yup me either

I haven't seen w8. But I haven't heard any thing impressive about it. I have a few geek friends so I took there words on it. They never let me down. But eventually I want to experience for myself. So I will also wait for it to be release.

the way things look i will probably stick with windows 7, but dont know that for sure yet

Emerald Lance
07-29-2012, 01:13 AM

Specs

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
7.1GB RAM
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
3TB internal hardrive along with a 500GB hardrive

Its not bad its runs most new games some can actually run on maximum settings which i was amazed at plus most of my emulators can run now since they take a lot of power to run i think my case is old its a dell xps 420
I got mine for about the same price, about $470 (which is right around £300 if not exactly). To be honest, I'm a bit jealous of your build now, Boss. XP

It came with an integrated Radeon HD graphics chip (6530D). The chip itself just barely touches above average, but when I eventually do install a dedicated card, it'll be a graphics powerhouse in comparison. Until then, at least it's not an Intel graphics chip. ;)

technoobie
07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
yup me either

the way things look i will probably stick with windows 7, but dont know that for sure yet

Yeah bro. I love 7.

Buddah
07-29-2012, 06:14 PM
7.1GB RAM

since when do they make memory in odd sizes?

Original Boss
07-29-2012, 06:37 PM
since when do they make memory in odd sizes?

Its 8 GB but some computers can display it lower then what it actually is the same with large hardrives it could be anything that makes it show that way bios settings the motherboards ability to process it properly it has a lot of options that make it show up less then it is but i know its 8 GB so i dont really feel like finding out the root cause just so it displays the correct amount lol

Buddah
07-29-2012, 10:04 PM
well the way a computer works it should never show 7.1gb of ram.... it cant allocate a partial stick. so you might be looking at the windows experience score of it. and 7.1 is not a bad score. but as far as the rest...amd ftw