PDA

View Full Version : Codemasters Hacked

JizzaBeez
06-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I received this Email from Codemasters:

Important information regarding your account

Dear valued Codemasters customer,

On Friday 3rd June, unauthorised entry was gained to our Codemasters.com website. As soon as the intrusion was detected, we immediately took codemasters.com and associated web services offline in order to prevent any further intrusion.

During the days since the attack we have conducted a thorough investigation in order to ascertain the extent and scope of the breach and have regrettably discovered that the intruder was able to gain access to the following:

Codemasters.com website

Access to the Codemasters corporate website and sub-domains.

DiRT 3 VIP code redemption page

Access to the DiRT 3 VIP code redemption page.

The Codemasters EStore

We believe the following have been compromised: Customer names and addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, encrypted passwords and order history. Please note that no personal payment information was stored with Codemasters as we use external payment providers, meaning your payment details were not at risk from this intrusion.

Codemasters CodeM database

Members' names, usernames, screen names, email addresses, date of birth, encrypted passwords, newsletter preferences, any biographies entered by users, details of last site activity, IP addresses and Xbox Live Gamertags are all believed to have been compromised.

Whilst we do not have confirmation that any of this data was actually downloaded onto an external device, we have to assume that, as access was gained, all of these details were compromised and/or stolen.

The Codemasters.com website will remain offline for the foreseeable future with all Codemasters.com traffic re-directed to the Codemasters Facebook page instead. A new website will launch later in the year.

Advice

For your security, in the first instance we advise you to change any passwords you have associated with other Codemasters accounts. If you use the same login information for other sites, you should change that information too. Furthermore, be extra cautious of potential scams, via email, phone, or post that ask you for personal or sensitive information. Please note that Codemasters will never ask you for any payment data such as credit card numbers or bank account details, nor will Codemasters ask you for passwords or other personal identifying data. Be aware too of fraudulent emails that may outwardly appear to be from Codemasters with links inviting you to visit websites. The safest way to visit your favourite websites is always by typing in the address manually into the address bar of your browser.

Unfortunately, Codemasters is the latest victim in on-going targeted attacks against numerous game companies. We assure you that we are doing everything within our legal means to track down the perpetrators and take action to the full extent of the law.

We apologise for this incident and regret any inconvenience caused.

We are contacting all customers who may have been affected directly.

Should you have any concerns or wish to speak to a member of our Customer Services team, please email them at [email protected].

This was posted on PCMAG.COM:

Hackers Hit UK Game Publisher Codemasters
Another day, another hack. This time, the Web site for UK game developer Codemasters has been compromised.
In a Thursday note posted on the company's forums, Codemasters said that hackers gained unauthorized entry to Codemasters.com on Friday, June 3. "As soon as the intrusion was detected, we immediately took codemasters.com and associated web services offline in order to prevent any further intrusion," a spokeswoman said.
Since then, Codemasters said it has conducted a "thorough investigation" into the hack to determine what type of data was accessed. Officials found that the intruders accessed: Codemasters.com; the DiRT 3 VIP code redemption page; the Codemasters estore; and the Codemasters CodeM database.
On the estore, the intrusion means hackers gained access to customers names and addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, encrypted passwords, and order history. On the CodeM database, intruders got member names, usernames, screen names, email addresses, dates of birth, encrypted passwords, newsletter preferences, any biographical information entered by the user, details of last site activity, IP address, and Xbox Live gamertags.
"Please note that no personal payment information was stored with Codemasters as we use external payment providers, meaning your payment details were not at risk from this intrusion," the company said. "Whilst we do not have confirmation that any of this data was actually downloaded onto an external device, we have to assume that, as access was gained, all of these details were compromised and/or stolen."
Codemasters said it will contact affected customers directly.
At this point, Codemasters.com will remain offline and all traffic will be redirected to the company's Facebook page. A new Web site will launch later in the year.
Codemasters suggested that users change their passwords immediately, especially if that password or login is used for other accounts. The hack could also raise your chances of a phishing attack.
"Unfortunately, Codemasters is the latest victim in on-going targeted attacks against numerous game companies," the company said. "We assure you that we are doing everything within our legal means to track down the perpetrators and take action to the full extent of the law."
One of Codemasters' most recent titles is racing game "DiRT 3." It it also prepping first-person shooter "Bodycount," and Formula One racing sequel "F1 2011."
Earlier today, Spanish police announced that they had arrested three people associated with Web group Anonymous for their alleged role in hacking the Sony PlayStation network, as well as various government Web sites.
Yesterday, Citigroup also announced that hackers accessed the records of about 1 percent of its North American customers. read more
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386727,00.asp)

Original Boss
06-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Oh man not codemasters they are excellent fucking hackers are so disrespectful going at everybody when will they stop acting immature and grow up http://www.360haven.com/forums/images/icons/yuush.png

Renegade
06-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Sony I can understand, but Codemasters =/ To my knowledge they haven't been going around big headed and doing wrong have they?

Game Wizard
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
my account got hacked on xbox pending investegation :( 5 days for now

Creeative316
06-10-2011, 09:57 PM
damn thats too bad codemasters had alot of good hacks and codes hope it gets sorted

CloudStrife7x
06-10-2011, 10:01 PM
that does suck, i like codemasters, hopefully they will be able to bounce back quicker than sony

Paprika
06-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Wow first Unreals site gets hacked now Codemasters, who's next?

pureIso
06-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Here is the psychology of any hackers (which includes you game save hackers) , crackers, script kiddies etc is: If someone or you manage to hack something that was/is ment to be hard (sony). It will give you/others the moltivation or thinking about what else could be hacked that might be "Hard to Hack aswell".

I believe this is just the beginning. This is why the Goverment wants to control the web via the ISP. Some people say sony shouldn't have gone after their hackers, my question is if someone break into your house would you go after them? Where are the Police? I say where are the white hats? Hacking is a serious game which helps advance IT security. :P

JizzaBeez
06-11-2011, 09:12 PM
my question is if someone break into your house would you go after them?

If someone breaks into my house I'll have my .45 waiting to put three bullets in them - 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. <-- And I am not the least bit joking...

Creeative316
06-11-2011, 09:28 PM
If someone breaks into my house I'll have my .45 waiting to put three bullets in them - 2 in the chest and 1 in the head. <-- And I am not the least bit joking...

i totally agree jizza i would too ferked up world nowadays

Ravanofdarkness
06-11-2011, 10:26 PM
*sigh* Seriously.... first Sony then Epic Games and now Codemasters.... how about Hacking EA? they deserve it for charging us for every little thing and coming up with the dumb idea of the Online Pass.

beast666
06-12-2011, 05:39 AM
what is the world coming to?

agedragon
06-12-2011, 09:25 AM
not only codemaster, epic too..........

agedragon
06-12-2011, 09:26 AM
btw, i think the psn event really make hackers exciting

brienj
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Here is the psychology of any hackers (which includes you game save hackers) , crackers, script kiddies etc is: If someone or you manage to hack something that was/is ment to be hard (sony). It will give you/others the moltivation or thinking about what else could be hacked that might be "Hard to Hack aswell".

I believe this is just the beginning. This is why the Goverment wants to control the web via the ISP. Some people say sony shouldn't have gone after their hackers, my question is if someone break into your house would you go after them? Where are the Police? I say where are the white hats? Hacking is a serious game which helps advance IT security. :P
Your analogy on Sony going after the "hackers" they were suing is wrong. Sony sold them a house (PS3). The person buying the house wanted to modify the house the way they wanted to modify it. Sony sued them for modifying the house and telling others how to modify it. The hackers never messed with Sony's own house (websites, possessions, etc.) or broke into it, until after they had been sued. Now it's ok to get them in trouble, but before when they were messing with their OWN houses, Sony had NO business interfering in their matters. See the difference?

I do agree that Codemasters shouldn't be the target of anything right now, but I do laugh every time I hear about another Sony site getting hacked though.

I am starting to believe that a lot of these attacks are inside-jobs and government done, so they can start implementing censorship and more monitoring on the internet in general for our "safety" (censoring).

Game Wizard
06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
today bethesda got hacked ... i think i should change my pass every day on xbox i got hacked and i did not even know codemasters existed so how did this happen ? anyway hopefully it is not bioware next