PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian shops pull Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and other games after tragedy

jkipp82
08-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Following the tragic attacks last month in Norway by Anders Behring Breivik, several retailers have removed games cited by the attacker from their stores.
"In light of Friday's horrific events, and out of respect for those affected, we have chosen to remove selected items from our range," a spokesperson for Coop Norway told Danish site Gamer's Globe. Local Norwegian paper Rogalands Avis reported that while the removals are "temporary," Coop Norway will "think twice" about restocking the games, adding, "Others are better qualified than us to point to the repercussions these games have." UK site Thinq also reports that Norwegian store Platekompaniet has removed "certain games" from sale.

The Coop-removed games include just about anything with the words "Call of Duty" in the title, including Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, and World at War, along with other titles like Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Counter-Strike: Source, and World of Warcraft. This isn't a Coop-wide removal though; the chain in Denmark told Gamer's Globe that it hasn't removed any games and believed "that terrorism has been guided by motives other than computer game universes."

Brevik's 1500+ page manifesto references many of the above games, notably calling Modern Warfare 2 part of his "training-simulation."

Paprika
08-05-2011, 03:22 AM
calling Modern Warfare 2 part of his "training-simulation."

Game out for under 2 years
Planning attack for over 6 years
Say MW2 is what trained him...

Why is it then when I started pistol shooting a month ago, I can't hit high scores, where I have been playing games for years :(

But on another part of this, what the hell is WoW doing on that list, its a RPG set in a fantasy world, didn't realize it had guns to "tain with"