PDA

View Full Version : Report: Next-gen Xbox to launch October/November 2013 with this GPU

jkipp82
01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
The next-gen Xbox's GPU will derive from 2011's AMD 6000 series, similar to the Radeon HD 6670, which supports DirectX11, 1080p HD, multi-display output and 3D, IGN reports, citing sources close to the project.
Mass production of its GPU will begin at the end of 2012, IGN says, with a full-console launch scheduled in October or November 2013.

With these specs, the next Xbox will have six times the processing power of the Xbox 360 and is expected to support performance 20 percent greater than Nintendo's Wii U (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-graphics-chip-outed-as-last-gen-radeon-which-is-still-pre/), which is using the R770, a chip that is competitively stronger than the GPUs of both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Previously uncovered (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/next-generation-xbox-pops-up-in-microsoft-resumes/) Microsoft resumes listed gesture and voice input, which suggests some form of Kinect integration will be present in the coming Xbox model.

Paprika
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
I understand they need to keep production costs down to make it viable over a gaming PC, and the fact they claim it will be 20x more powerful than the current gen, but using a radeon 6000 series as its base just feels, i guess outdated. Granted though what the current console can do with games, it will be interesting to see what the next gen can do.

On that same topic of graphics, I am kinda surprised they haven't thought about "Ultra HD" gaming (excedding 1920x1080) it just seems logical with the next generation of televisions using these upgraded resolutions, one would think that consoles and what not would also follow suit. This kinda brings it back to the whole 6000 series as a base if all it can support is up to 1920x1080 resolutions in contrast to some newer (albeit dearer) graphics cards. You would want your console to last at least for at least half a decade and by not going up to 2k+ resolutions, it would make gaming consoles to an extent obsolete and outdated in such a short time.

Thats my 2 cents and how I see it

Krauser
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
All I want from the Next-Gen is Full-HD 1080p graphics with STABLE, I HAVE SAID STABLE 60 FPS !!! Without dropping... and the better gameplay goddamnit, im tired of playing this copy-n-past games >_<

Noctis Caelum
01-25-2012, 05:52 PM
pretty interesting news

CloudStrife7x
01-25-2012, 06:17 PM
pretty nice information, im really looking forward to the next-gen Xbox, great share jkipp :)

Serious_M
01-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Great share info , can,t wait for the next gen

hello_hello
01-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Hmm, will more processing power comes with more heat? Love to see there will be better ventilation or anything that will avoid the heat issue.

Techno
02-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Why would they use the 6000 Series? the 7000 series was just released...

Also I prefer Nvidia :)

CHROME_305
02-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Why are they even making another system when the 360 is fine.Any way I will wait until all the bugs are fixed and the inflated price goes down.

Noctis Caelum
02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Why are they even making another system when the 360 is fine.Any way I will wait until all the bugs are fixed and the inflated price goes down.
i agree, but we all know its about money...but i know i better not hear shit about no damn RROD on the upcoming console..

CloudStrife7x
02-01-2012, 04:56 PM

knowing myself i will buy when it comes out XD, but that's just the kind of person i am lol

AbDoOdOo
02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
thanks a lot dude

zoom1991
02-26-2012, 05:41 PM
thanks a lot

Bow2DKing
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
All I want from the Next-Gen is Full-HD 1080p graphics with STABLE, I HAVE SAID STABLE 60 FPS !!! Without dropping... and the better gameplay goddamnit, im tired of playing this copy-n-past games >_<

You mean COD and Halo lol...i agree

SH4DOWKIN
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
The next-gen Xbox's GPU will derive from 2011's AMD 6000 series, similar to the Radeon HD 6670, which supports DirectX11, 1080p HD, multi-display output and 3D, IGN reports, citing sources close to the project.

dude i thought it was coming out in like 2015 it said something like that on ign

rrrrr5r
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
The GPU won't be powerful at all by the time next gen released but 360 did a good job with what it has. Look at PS3, GPU doesn't really matter.

dabandit
03-13-2012, 04:54 AM
+1 for nVidia. The GPU should be more current, also should be damn quiet. The reference definition is already on the horizon, (4+) times higher than the 1080p.

ChrisW
03-28-2012, 09:53 AM
If this is true, this will be why console gaming will always keep PC gaming from evolving at the rate that PC GPUs would allow. By the time 'Durango' is released, its GPU will be at least 2 generations, if not 3, behind. How can this be acceptable? It will become even more noticeably obsolete within only a few short years after launch. I, for one, am against Microsoft using such an "already" available GPU, despite it being cheaper to manufacture and easier to program for than an untested, more powerful GPU.

BTW, I also wish they'd go with nVidia.

LilHam33
04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
It seems like there always turning around and releasing stuff that's not that much better than what we have now just because they know people will buy it eventually.

voidmage09
04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
this what i found
Developers see costs double for Durango sequels to Xbox 360 titles
Next-gen consoles mean increased development costs

While it's not necessarily newsworthy to note that cost of making games for next-generation consoles will be higher than that of current-generation hardware, it's interesting to note that some game makers are forecasting that the process could be up to twice as expensive. Things like cross-platform functionality and baked-in social networking features add to the cost of making such a game, as do higher polygon counts and better textures.

"I'm having to double my budget for models," one unnamed developer told GamesIndustry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-03-next-gen-consoles-mean-increased-development-costs). The game he or she is making for Durango (the working title for the next Xbox) is apparently a sequel to a game that came out for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. "If we want to take advantage of Durango's capabilities, it takes a lot more time for each model," the developer said. If true, studios might find themselves working more hours to finish a title, or feel the need to hire more artists.
Development costs for Sony's eventual PlayStation 4--code-named, "Orbis"--are expected to be about the same as Microsoft's new hardware, but Nintendo's Wii-U is in a slightly different situation. Asreported (http://www.shacknews.com/article/73151/wii-u-less-powerful-than-current-gen-say-devs), some developers working on the Wii U claim the system isn't even as powerful as Microsoft or Sony's current-generation hardware. However, the Wii U's new tablet-like controller (see above) will likely cost developers a bit more on the front-end. The price of designing functionality specific to the Wii U tablet controller would carry with it additional costs, and it's still not clear how much multi-platform developers will be interested in expending resources to create extra unique content to take advantage of it.
The upshot is that making games for next-gen hardware will be more expensive across the board. Better, higher-fidelity experiences will undoubtedly be appreciated by gamers, but it's not unreasonable to posit that game publishers will explore ways to transfer some of this new cost burden to the consumer by way of things like online passes and DLC.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-03-next-gen-consoles-mean-increased-development-costs

ice81berg
04-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Im going to wait for the 2nd or 3rd wave of the new gen xbox. I just modded a spare xbox for offline play and I store multiple games on it. While using gamefly , and using my main system for online games . This new sytem for me is a money saver , I can do a whole lot more with the system, I have over 250 games on it and growing . I can wait on next gen bc the games that are being made now are for noobs, and not for us hardcore gamers, so why waste our money on a game that you can beat in a day or two to trade in only to have a $45 dollar loss.