360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Mortal Kombat classification appeal rejected in Australia, import companies rejoice
Register
    VIP Member

Array

Mortal Kombat classification appeal rejected in Australia, import companies rejoice

Despite a contested rating by Warner Bros. Interactive, the forthcoming Mortal Kombat reboot has been permanently refused classification in Australia, effectively banning the title from official retail distribution. WB Games issued a statement regarding the ruling, stating that it's "extremely disappointed" that the game has been refused classification on the continent.

The publisher continued, praising "thousands of Mortal Kombat fans in Australia and around the world who have voiced their support during the appeal process." Mortal Kombat's latest iteration will still arrive next month in other territories, also known as "the month when a handful of hardcore Australia-based MK fans are forced to import copies."
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6952 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 568 Times in 319 Posts

Haven Donator

Array
    I fucking called it, the moment it was given an R18+ in NZ I knew we would have it banned here. God it's great living in a country where a backwater system still applies and is run by PC thugs.

on a lighter note though I did see on the news the government is in support for the classification system to be overhauled (Just an excuse to censor the net but whatever) which includes R18 rating in games
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5594 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

Mister Epic
    I'm sorry to hear about that man.

It's a shame our Australian brothers and sisters (I'm in United States) have to suffer due to the imbalance and incompetency of their ratings system and government.

Just put on your coolface (Yes, I know it's really Trollface) and everything will be alright. *points to Paprika's avatar*

Problem, Australian government?

Hoshikage

Array
    Seriously its the 21st Century why are they making ratings a big deal? People will still get their hands on the game if they want. Like the game is going to cut or increase crime rate. What a country!!
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 8242 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,980 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by pureIso View Post
    Seriously its the 21st Century why are they making ratings a big deal? People will still get their hands on the game if they want. Like the game is going to cut or increase crime rate. What a country!!
    Be fair now, crime is in their blood, they need to avoid as many triggers as they can else their instincts kick in and suddenly the queen wants them shipped off to an is- oh wait.

That said I find Australia to have one of the most laughable Governments in the world, you couldn't pay me enough to go and live there with those asshats telling me what i can and can't watch, import, browse, look at lustfully, think of or otherwise do; it's like a white China.

Shame as well because the people who live there and have nothing to do with the politics are decent folk.

Can't resist a good convict joke, good old history.

Mister Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by pureIso View Post
    Actually, from what I am reading and hearing on the GameFAQs Mortal Kombat boards by some Australians, there's a large possibility they won't as apparently, their customs will be checking for imported copies of the game and apparently detain them.

Don't quote me on this as I can't recall if a news source was posted or not. So to play it safe, we'll call it a rumor for now until a confirmed source is found.

Haven Donator

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Epic View Post
    Actually, from what I am reading and hearing on the GameFAQs Mortal Kombat boards by some Australians, there's a large possibility they won't as apparently, their customs will be checking for imported copies of the game and apparently detain them.

Don't quote me on this as I can't recall if a news source was posted or not. So to play it safe, we'll call it a rumor for now until a confirmed source is found.
    yeah that has been a rumor floating around though being realistic they cannot check every single import that comes from overseas, otherwise they would be all year.
    I got my uncle bringing over a copy from NZ when he comes over so,
    Problem Attorney Generals :P
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5594 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

Mister Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    yeah that has been a rumor floating around though being realistic they cannot check every single import that comes from overseas, otherwise they would be all year.
    I got my uncle bringing over a copy from NZ when he comes over so,
    Problem Attorney Generals :P
    Oh, very sneaky, you! *puts on his Trollface* Problem, Australian government and ratings sytem?

Glad you can get the game either ways and I do hope that more are able to sneak some copies in until someone gives the video game rating system over there and the censorship a big kick in the balls. They should upgrade to a Mature or R-18 rating over there for games like these.

See you online when the game comes out!