360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Sony to unveil PlayStation 4 this month
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Haven Donator
    Chaos
    Array

Sony to unveil PlayStation 4 this month

Rumors about the PlayStation 4 have been floating around for over a year now, but on February 20, we'll finally get a glimpse at the real thing. That's the day Sony will hold an event in New York where it reportedly plans to unveil its long-awaited next-generation console.

The company got the hype machine rolling Thursday evening with a mysterious teaser video. To amp things up further, the company posted a Twitter update reading simply "see the future." Within minutes, news outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, confirmed through sources that this would, in fact, be the company's launch party for the PS4.

The announcement will give Sony a head start over Microsoft, who is expected to reveal its next Xbox in the coming months. Both systems should be available at retail by the end of the year.

So what can we expect from the PS4? According to the WSJ, Sony plans to focus less on massive hardware improvements and more on integrating social gaming aspects into the new machine. User interaction will be a key component.

If you're hoping to be able to play your PS3 games on the new machine, you might want to temper those expectations. The chipset and graphics chip on the new PlayStation are reportedly made by different companies than those that power the PS3, making backward compatibility a less likely feature.

Gamers aren't the only ones ready for new consoles -- publishers are gearing up for the generational shift as well. Earlier this week, Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said the company is investing $80 million dollars in software development for "gen 4" consoles. And, by the sound of things, he's not including the Wii U in that definition.

"We see a pretty sharp distinction, and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that," he said on an earnings conference call.

While a lot of hope is riding on the next generation of consoles, things haven't gotten off to a stellar start. Nintendo lowered its fiscal sales forecast for the Wii U from 5.5 million to 4 million consoles this week.

"The sales of Wii U were smooth at the beginning, but since the turn of the year they have been losing momentum," said Nintendo President Satoru Iwata.

Sony, of course, is hoping the momentum it plans to start building with this month's event will help the PlayStation 4 avoid that fate.

Source
    Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 2 || Rep Power : 4798 || Posts : 182 || Thanks : 148 || Thanked 88 Times in 39 Posts

Alert Warning. If you are reading this, then you wasted your time.

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Re: Sony to unveil PlayStation 4 this month

i look forward to seeing the PS4 :)
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24466 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Deppers

Cant wait to see what the graphics in metal gear solid will look like xD

Retired Staff

Array
    Twitter: @
    My system is here lol :D
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 15501 || Posts : 10,471 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,224 Posts

Array
    Focusing less on massive hardware improvements and more on social gaming? Fuck that, if I want that shit I will save a packet and buy a Wii. Really Sony? I will give you a year before you are belly up in the dirt

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Downloads : 23 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5024 || Posts : 314 || Thanks : 27 || Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts

dante must die

Correct me if I am wrong. But it is not that they are announcing it first that it means it will come before Xbox, which means that there are not really taking the lead.
    Technically they didn't need to announce it at all but we all knew that Sony and Microsoft would bring out new consoles, it was inevitable!
    Whatever comes first I am not bothered as I will get the Xbox, because I have always prefered Xbox.

Advertiser

Array

I wonder if the PS4 will be as ugly as the PS3
    Downloads : 111 || Uploads : 7 || Rep Power : 8160 || Posts : 3,225 || Thanks : 1,151 || Thanked 328 Times in 242 Posts

LEGIT HACKERS DON'T ADVERTISE!

bigbigtree

well, i think ps3 still can fight for another 5 years or even more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast