360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Anyone who does Martial Arts, or knows anyone that does? Please read. - Page 2
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Re: Anyone who does Martial Arts, or knows anyone that does? Please read.

Actually had my first Taekwondo class today. It was intense and explosive, and it really wore me out, but I had a lot of fun.

I wonder though, I notice a lot of beginners were obviously at a young age, I myself am 26. There were a few people around my age too, but take tournaments for example, do they pit you against a 12yo as a 26yo for example when fighting in tournaments?
    Downloads : 25 || Uploads : 1 || Rep Power : 5905 || Posts : 925 || Thanks : 86 || Thanked 234 Times in 134 Posts

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Actually had my first Taekwondo class today. It was intense and explosive, and it really wore me out, but I had a lot of fun.

I wonder though, I notice a lot of beginners were obviously at a young age, I myself am 26. There were a few people around my age too, but take tournaments for example, do they pit you against a 12yo as a 26yo for example when fighting in tournaments?
    Nah they wouldn't do that, you'd be fighting other adults
    Downloads : 30 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4902 || Posts : 107 || Thanks : 49 || Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts

"When I feel sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."

Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Quote Originally Posted by lewyp1 View Post
    Nah they wouldn't do that, you'd be fighting other adults
    Ahh ok cool.

Also I totally messed up my glutes in my left leg.... hurts like hell.
    Downloads : 25 || Uploads : 1 || Rep Power : 5905 || Posts : 925 || Thanks : 86 || Thanked 234 Times in 134 Posts

Haven Mangekyo Sharigan Master

Array

Its never to late to start... I started at a young age, but we had some people that was over 20.. They will place you in the right class then you will work you're way up.. I finished MA at age of 28 I was a 9 degree black belt.. I was working on my Red/black belt when I stopped which the highest belt you can get in most MA class.... Sooooo no go try it you will have so much fun and learn new things.
    Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5854 || Posts : 1,244 || Thanks : 217 || Thanked 144 Times in 120 Posts

AFX ART: By me

Array

It is never to late to what you want to do. Patrick Stewart is around 70 and he is skiing, Ed o'neill(Al Bundy) just got his black belt in BJJ a few years back. It all about doing what you love, and if you want to do Martial Arts go for it. You can also try a Mixed Martial arts school, where they teach an assortment of arts, just not say Karate school, Jiu-Jitsu school, they offer a little of everything. I seen people who got into MMA at 28, and they were fighting at age 33(not saying you want to do this). I say go for it, because regret is a potent emotion, that can have a lasting impact on life. Go and have fun while doing it.

Before you join any one school, watch how the students react to each other. Do they gossip about others, do they show a certain disrespect to the teacher when he is not looking, are they friendly, do they encourage each other in times of need. These are all very important, and should be the first thing on your mind before anything else.

If you like the atmosphere, talk to the teacher. Tell him your doubts, and worries, and humbly ask if you can sit in on one of his Novice classes before you sign up. This is the important part. This will give you a chance to evaluate the teacher. Is the teacher Lax in his methods? Does he pay enough attention to each student, and not the top prospects? How does he handle disobedience? Will the teacher resort to shaming first?
    Last edited by smurfsniper; 02-25-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Had my second class now. I'm so out of shape rofl, I'm having trouble keeping up, but I'm not gonna give up.

My left leg is still in pain near the gluteus or whatever, so I'll have to rest it again to be ready for the next class.

Going to officially sign up with the school on thursday, and hopefully get my outfit then as well (Or next week maybe?)

mavymcmavmav

Im a professional MMA fighter and a brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu. It is NEVER too late to start. Dont compare yourself to others. Strive to beat your OWN personal bests, nothing else.

Array
    Twitter: @

I am also thinking about doing MMA or BJJ. One thing that scares me is the dedication to martial arts. I don't want to do something and in the long run I would just quit because I didn't like it or I realized that it wasn't for me. Think about it first and then commit yourself into doing it. But like everybody here I think you should do it.
    Downloads : 6 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4312 || Posts : 55 || Thanks : 47 || Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

You want to know who you are? Huh? You want to know who's son you are? You don't, I do, everybody does... you're the son of a thousand fathers, all bastards like you. -Tuco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12