360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Linux Operating System And Distribution Recommendations?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mister Epic

Linux Operating System And Distribution Recommendations?

Hey folks!

I'm in a bit of a predicament. Well, not really a predicament, so as much as indecisiveness.

The thing is that generally, I use Ubuntu as my Linux Operating System of choice. But the newest version, 11.04 isn't quite to my liking as I am really not digging or liking the new "Unity" desktop environment and graphical user interface and they seem to have gotten rid of GNOME, which is my favorite one to use.

So as of now, I am looking into other options when it comes to Linux Operating Systems.

I have been Googling and doing mild research and can't seem to pick one out.

So far, my number one choice is Debian, but it looks like a BITCH to install and I could not figure out how to do so when I booted the installation up, as opposed to installing as well as configuring Windows and Ubuntu (Which is easy), for instance.

Does anyone else know how to install it (Debian) and perhaps can give me some easy steps or a tutorial for installing it? This would benefit other people as well.

My second choice is Linux Mint, but I hear there are some issues with version 10 Julia, so I am currently waiting for the release of version 11, supposedly labelled as "Katya".

Which other Linux Operating System would those of you who have used them recommend? Can you provide positive and negative constructive points on them as well? Anything just as good as or as decent as Ubuntu, if not better?

Thanks in advance to those who reply with their knowledge and experience.

Extorris
    Array
    Not sure about the installation of it, as never really tried those ones, always been an Ubuntu as my primary choice, However, why don't you just set yourself up a virtual PC? It's pretty simple to do and you have all of the same features pretty much as you would installing it as an OS. That way you can experiment with each OS, to see which one meets your criteria.

Mister Epic
    Eh, I like running full Operating Systems instead of in a virtual PC. So, don't really feel like bothering with that for now.

I still want to hear from others that have some experience with different Linux Operating Systems to see their takes and opinions on it and then go from there.

Still on 10.10 Ubuntu for now. (Wish I had sound for my headphones, though. Damn kernel update...)

Hoshikage

Array
    Have you tried Suse?
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 8241 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,980 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

Mister Epic
    Which one? I think they have multiple forks.

I know there's OpenSuse, which now owned by Novell, correct? Also, what was your experience with Suse, if you'd like to share?

Hoshikage

Array
    Any of the Suse...
    They are ok and very beautiful GUI :) I only really use it for browseing the web nothing serious.
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 8241 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,980 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pureIso For This Useful Post:

Mister Epic
    Does OpenSuse have VLC Media Player, Pidgin, GIMP Photo Editor and OpenOffice by any chance?

Edit: Also, do they have anything similar to Ubuntu's Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager?

Hoshikage

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Epic View Post
    Does OpenSuse have VLC Media Player, Pidgin, GIMP Photo Editor and OpenOffice by any chance?

Edit: Also, do they have anything similar to Ubuntu's Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager?
    Yes
    Opensuse = YaST or you can apt-get synaptic package

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast