Hey guys. After hours of trying, I finally found a way to mod Metro: Last Light currency. Any save can be modded using my tutorial. Now I know there are some saves out there with max currency, but I thought maybe someone wants to mod their own save (in whichever chapter of the game they are) instead of using other people's saves.
1. Modding this game is a bit of a pain in the a$$ and may take 15~20 minutes! That's because you'll have to mod your save several times. You should mod your save, then take it to your Xbox and get a few Mil. bullets in the game, then have some progress in the game to trigger a checkpoint. Then, again take your save to PC and mod it, then back to Xbox and same story. Depending on how much money you already have in your save, you should do this at least 2 times. If less than 255 bullets, then at least 2 times, if higher than that, then I think you can mod your save in one go. If you have anything higher than 511 bullets, then you can definitely mod your save in one go. So all that said, if you're not in the mood for this, just use a modded save instead.
2. This is not 100% guaranteed to work, but I've modded quite a few saves using this method and they all worked.
3. For some reason, you can't mod your money when you are at the start of a level! That means you should trigger a mid-chapter checkpoint to be able to mod your save.
4. This can be done when you first go to the surface with Anna, and after that. Before that, it's a no-go. Because as I said, you should have a mid-chapter save (with money available) for this to work. But that's only the second chapter of the game. So not a big deal I guess.
5. Rehashing and resigning Metro: Last Light saves is a bit different than most other games. You should rehash and resign your Metro: LL saves with your Console and Device ID plus the normal Profile ID. For that, you should copy a save from your Xbox HDD or a recently used save to your flash memory, open it in Modio (I used v3.0) and take all three ID's from that save. I found Modio to be the best for this, but if you know any other software for this, use it. But remember that all three ID's are needed. I used Horizon before Modio, but the game said that my saves are corrupt. So if you get the same error while loading your modded saves, it's probably your save ID's.
First, load your auto-save (which should be mid-chapter) in game by pressing "Continue" in the main menu and take note of how much money you have in your save. Then take your save (auto_save) to your PC and extract it somewhere on your HDD. Make a backup of it just in case.
Open your save in a Hex editor (I prefer WinHex and Hex WorkShop) and search for this Hex value: "05FE000A031240". If nothing is found,then search for this one: "0A031240". After finding one of these values, you should see a "00" in front of it. The byte after "00" is your money value IN HEX format obviously. For example, if you have 170 bullets, it should be "AA". If this is not the case, then take your save back to Xbox, have some more progress in the game and trigger a checkpoint. Then take your save to PC again and check it in your Hex Editor. If the value after "00" is equal to your money in the save (In hex), then go ahead and replace the value with "FF". Save the file after Hex-editing it, and then rehash and resign it, Preferably using Modio. Inject it to your USB drive. Load the save in game using the "Continue" button and you should have 255, or 511 bullets.
Now have some progress in the game, taking at least 2~3 mil. bullets from enemies or loots. You MUST get a few bullets before a checkpoint is saved! When a checkpoint is triggered, quit to main menu and unplug your USB from Xbox and plug it to your PC. Extract "auto_save" from your USB again and make a backup of it. Open the file in hex editor and search for "05FE000A031240" or "0A031240" again. When found, again, there should be a "00" in front of it. The byte after "00" is (this time, part of) your money again. Let's say you have 258 bullets in your save. Then the byte after "00" should be "02". The Hex for 258 is "102" of course, but 4A Games has used the same trick "Assassin's Creed: Revelations" developer used to prevent save-modding. That's right, THE TWO BYTES OF YOUR MONEY VALUE ARE FLIPPED. Meaning, for example 522 bullets will be "0A02" (instead of "20A") in a Metro: LL save. So write "FF" in place of the byte after "00". Save the file and rehash and resign it and then inject it to your USB. Load the save on Xbox and again, progress in the game and get a few bullets along the way, until you reach a checkpoint. When checkpoint is saved, take note of your current money, which MUST be something higher than 511. Quit the game and take your USB to PC again. Extract "auto_save" from your USB and make a backup. Open it in Hex editor, and search for the same values as above. When found, after "00" should be your money value, but FLIPPED. For example, if you have 515 bullets in the save, the two bytes after "00" should be "0302". Now change these two bytes to "E8FD". With this value, you'll have 65000 bullets in game which is more than enough. By changing the two bytes to "FFFF" instead of "E8FD", you can have up to 65535 bullets. But beware, if you pick up a single bullet when you already have 65535 bullets, your bullets will reset to 0! So anything you've done so far has been for nothing! So I'd say you should stick with "E8FD" (65000 bullets). After making your mind up aboutwhat you should write in the two bytes, save the file and rehash and resign it. Inject it to USB and plug it to your Xbox. Hit "Continue" in game and it should load with 65000 in your invertory. Now's the time to enjoy the game with plenty of mil. bullets! So enjoy.
Important note: I've stated this in the guide, but since it's very important, I'll say again: Only mid-chapter saves (auto_save) can be modded using this tutorial.
PS: Sorry about the huge wall of text in front of you, but I'm not that good at writing guides! :D But I did my best to keep it short as I could. RoFL! :D
PS: As I said earlier, I cannot guarantee that this will work 100% of time. But I modded several saves using this method and they worked. So it's worth a shot.
I'll wait for you guys to try it and if it works, I'll keep this thread. But if it doesn't I'll remove it.
Going to try this. Thanks for the tut. By the way does the first searched hex value(05FE000A031240) represent the money or the ammo?
Thanks for the share :)
Sorry if this thread is old and considered dead.
Warning Possible Spoiler!
A thing you can do, is wait until the chapter Bandits instead of saving up. Since you run down the tunnel, and there are bandits, you can just run kill or knockout the bandits, then swap to their weapons that they drop, run back and sell them until you are comfortable with how much you have for modding it. Then you can continue to the point just before arriving at the main bandit camp where they're holding the woman and children, continue down the left-hand tunnel to a carriage with several corpses, this cause an auto save for me, but i'm not sure if it will for everyone.
Thanks for this:)
I know this is an old post, but still... if you are like me and getting back to this game after all that time...
Using Modio v5 to rehas and resign did not work for me. I had to use Modio v3 to get the save working, otherwise game said it was corrupted. Other thing, the values you want to edit are AFTER the string you look for, not in front of it.