360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
[Tutorial] Fable Anniversary - How to Decompresss Your Save - Page 5
Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    robertpowell

Re: Fable Anniversary - How to Decompresss Your Save

hi, i follow the steps 1 to 8 fine when i get to step 9 an error pops up in the cmd window say wrong command-line (-0)

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Quote Originally Posted by matthewjohn View Post
    Ok thanks I know it's the hero save.bin I gotta mod I looked at the off zip thread and apparently fable 3 use zlib so should work lol also I hate checksums lol
    Careful with that game, while the save editor does work, it eventually corrupts the save, I believe it has something to do with the recompression process, Lionhead has a very intolerant save I/O process that doesn't play nice with artificial changes.

I've observed the same thing happening with fable anniversary but the save system is a lot more flexible, when you notice the save has been corrupted you simply save to a new slot and delete the offending files, of course if you fail to notice before leaving the game, you're screwed.
    Downloads : 101 || Uploads : 18 || Rep Power : 5640 || Posts : 574 || Thanks : 51 || Thanked 463 Times in 200 Posts

Developer
    matthewjohn

Array

Arrrr ok mate thanks for the info :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Array

Then, after using it a few times, save can not longer be modified? Is that so?

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Quote Originally Posted by venomor View Post
    Then, after using it a few times, save can not longer be modified? Is that so?
    Who said anything about that?
    I only noticed it once on FA when I was playing around with stuff that didn't actually change anything, but the point is it did happen and it can in theory happen to any compression using game, providing they lack the tolerance for it (xcom has tolerance out the ass for it, fairchilds toolkit doesn't actually use the right compression level, but the game doesn't mind, his words).

Even if it does happen, when you write to a brand new save slot the corruption is purged, it's a flaw in the file not the game memory so it doesn't pass between files.

You'll notice it's corrupt when it starts saying stupid stuff like the year is 2067 etc, just immediately make a new save slot and delete the dodgy ones when you get around to it, no problem really when you have 2 autosave slots to fall back on, unless you modded those.
    Downloads : 101 || Uploads : 18 || Rep Power : 5640 || Posts : 574 || Thanks : 51 || Thanked 463 Times in 200 Posts

Array

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Who said anything about that?
    I only noticed it once on FA when I was playing around with stuff that didn't actually change anything, but the point is it did happen and it can in theory happen to any compression using game, providing they lack the tolerance for it (xcom has tolerance out the ass for it, fairchilds toolkit doesn't actually use the right compression level, but the game doesn't mind, his words).

Even if it does happen, when you write to a brand new save slot the corruption is purged, it's a flaw in the file not the game memory so it doesn't pass between files.

You'll notice it's corrupt when it starts saying stupid stuff like the year is 2067 etc, just immediately make a new save slot and delete the dodgy ones when you get around to it, no problem really when you have 2 autosave slots to fall back on, unless you modded those.
    It doesn't tell me that the file is corrupt, simply when I try to load the save from USB on xbox, console freez. Maybe I just didn't understand? I should just keep playing, save in a new slot and try to mod this one?

Array

This is a very good explained tut and it works perfect. Thanks alot :)

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Quote Originally Posted by venomor View Post
    It doesn't tell me that the file is corrupt, simply when I try to load the save from USB on xbox, console freez. Maybe I just didn't understand? I should just keep playing, save in a new slot and try to mod this one?
    Yeah it will just freeze, xcom does the same. It's a lack of foresight or simply not caring on the devs part, it's entirely related to reading something unexpected in the save file, which can happen when it's not been compressed in an expected manner, really freaks it out.

You may be able to repair that save through some manner of ritual container transfusion (like dark souls) but frankly I would delete it and work off of your next save, which you will of course backup beforehand.

One thing I recommend doing out of habit is the moment you succesfully load a modified save in the game, make a new slot and discard the old one at your earliest convenience. No chance of corruption. If memory serves, fable 3 only gave you one slot, which is why you were doomed to corruption, here we have loads of slots to play with so we can avoid the problem.