Name:  The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Skyward_Sword_Wallpaper_1_(Standard)_Wallpaper__yvt2.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  63.0 KB

Ever since we first heard rumors of a new Nintendo console in the works, fans of the franchise have been speculating about whether or not The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which is being developed for the Wii, would be moving over to this new platform. This is what happened to the last console Zelda title, Twilight Princess, which was initially developed for the GameCube but at the last minute had motion controls added and was also released as a Wii launch title.

I recently had the opportunity to speak with Eiji Aonuma, who has been overseeing the Legend of Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and I asked him about the possibility of Skyward Sword making the leap to Wii U. In no uncertain terms, he assured me that this would not be happening.

His reasoning is that "this game is really designed around the motion plus as an experience." In other words, the Wii's motion plus technology is so integral to the design of Skyward Sword that to jump systems would be implausible. So while we now know for certain that Skyward Sword will not be making an appearance on the Wii U's launch lineup, it should act as a great swan song for the system's predecessor.

I also asked Aonuma-san about the role that the Master Sword's origin plays in the game. Referring back to the motion plus technology's integral part in the experience, he said that the focus on one-to-one swordplay made expanding on the Master Sword's background seem like a natural fit for Skyward Sword. "If you're going to have a Zelda game that's really focused on the sword, you've got to have the Master Sword in there and it really should be central to what's going on," Aonuma-san said.

Source - IGN.com