360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Microsoft defends cross-gen gaming - "we have an obligation" to support Xbox 360
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RETRO
    Gamer

Array
    Twitter: @

Microsoft defends cross-gen gaming - "we have an obligation" to support Xbox 360

And we're "going to sell millions more Xbox 360s before this generation is done"
    If you want to start a punch-up at a geekmeet, consider introducing the topic of games that release on both the new and out-going generations of consoles. One side of the room should leap to its feet, bellowing about how Shooter #124 has been compromised by the existence of a "gimped" version for an older platform. Everybody else should then stand on tables as one, yelling that they can't afford the new consoles and don't want to be "abandoned" by manufacturers. Now might be a good time to step out onto the patio.

Head of Xbox and notorious Twitter diplomat Phil Spencer can see both sides of the argument. "But we have millions and millions of people on 360," he protested, when the Metro proposed that recent and forthcoming cross-gen - or even, whisper it, last-gen-only - projects risk stealing away interest from the new consoles. "If you bought your Xbox 360 a year and a half ago, I think we have an obligation there." Mind your head, Phil! I think that guy at the back is holding a plastic lightsaber.

We're going to sell millions more Xbox 360s before this generation is done and when people make a £100+ commitment to us, they're gonna come in and buy an Xbox 360, I want to make sure that there's content for them," he went on. "It's an investment in the new generation of consoles, not every game is going to go to 360, but I want to make sure the 360 has a healthy line-up of software from us and from third parties.

"And I think that's important," he concluded. "Not everyone bought an Xbox One at launch."

But what about all those third parties, ruining the fun with massively multiplatform games like Watch Dogs? Isn't it Microsoft's responsibility to lead by example? "Most of the third parties will support both generations for a couple of years, right? For a third party this is the nice part of the curve for the last generation, because you've got millions of people out there and they want to sell content that these people will buy.

"They also want to kickstart the new generation successfully, so you'll see a lot of them doing a little bit of both. For us in first party, our primary focus is Xbox One. You saw that on stage [at E3], we tried to show a breadth of content that you could buy in 2014."

According to the developers of Destiny, Xbox 360 "still has a lot of headroom" as a games machine. Here are some monstrously pretty Xbox 360 games to illustrate that.

On which side of the line do you stand? Assuming you aren't out on the patio.
    Source: http://www.totalxbox.com/78380/micro...port-xbox-360/
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-18-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Downloads : 107 || Uploads : 38 || Rep Power : 17053 || Posts : 12,545 || Thanks : 1,039 || Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,322 Posts

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to THUMBS For This Useful Post:

Demon

Array

Re: Microsoft defends cross-gen gaming - "we have an obligation" to support Xbox 360

I'd hope they continue support for the 360 considering how badly they dropped the ball with the xbox one, I know a lot of people who had a 360 and went to a ps4, so if they don't support the 360 they'll lose out on a lot of customers. I decided to wait for a next-gen console, figured I'd give it a year, let them fix some bugs and grab one on boxing day or when there's a good deal.
    Downloads : 66 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5433 || Posts : 547 || Thanks : 95 || Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts

Omega
    Array

Re: Microsoft defends cross-gen gaming - "we have an obligation" to support Xbox 360

I dont think the xbox one will kick off for another few years,who has 500 quid to spend on a console? and with a little bit better graphics.We know its basically a corona with better hardware.Im on the 360 side of the fence.I will give them 150 for the xbox one if anything
    Downloads : 1 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 0 || Posts : 31 || Thanks : 14 || Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Au is my favorite element!:-c

Haven's Warrior lv10
    rghjtagpro

Array

Thanks for the info
    Xbox one way over price to my liking

RETRO
    Gamer

Array

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    Thanks for the info
    Xbox one way over price to my liking
    dont no xbox one is getting there now. just need some modding going on
    Downloads : 107 || Uploads : 38 || Rep Power : 17053 || Posts : 12,545 || Thanks : 1,039 || Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,322 Posts

Demon

Array

I'm still on the fence for the next-gen console since ms actually tried to back away from some of the things that had everyone angry. (forced kinect, always online, no used games etc) I think in the end it may just come down to the exclusives since the specs are very close between the two.
    Downloads : 66 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5433 || Posts : 547 || Thanks : 95 || Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts

RETRO
    Gamer

Array

Quote Originally Posted by 13Dannyboy13 View Post
    I'm still on the fence for the next-gen console since ms actually tried to back away from some of the things that had everyone angry. (forced kinect, always online, no used games etc) I think in the end it may just come down to the exclusives since the specs are very close between the two.
    what i have seen an read i think the xbox one will be the console to have in time but some of you might not agree. even tho i still play on my 360 more

Omega
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by 13Dannyboy13 View Post
    Really,it is down to exclusives or "only on xbox one",which is blackmail & robbery.Like you say there is not much between the 360 & one,so my opinion why pay so much for minor differences?.But thinking back to the xenon 360 (no HD,ready to pop in 15 mins of playing,no internet browser & the chat thing was shit),look how far it has come now! so maybe its a strategy to watch out for? so i will get one in 5 years ..maybe.
    Downloads : 1 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 0 || Posts : 31 || Thanks : 14 || Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Au is my favorite element!:-c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast