Name:  resident-evil-5-250x250.jpg
Views: 3478
Size:  23.7 KB

The team behind Capcom's upcoming Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City are keeping a close eye on Nintendo's Wii U, and are keen to try an RE game on the system.

Speaking to CVG, Raccoon City producer Masachika Kawata explained that although no company-wide decision had been reached at Capcom, he was very excited by the opportunities awarded by the console.

Nintendo unveiled Wii U at E3 earlier this month, putting most of its focus on the system's new tablet-style controller. As well as dual thumbsticks, touch screens and motion control, the pad contains a screen that allows users to continue playing even when their TV is switched off.

"Whether or not we actually will develop a Resident Evil title for Wii U, we'll put that aside as obviously I don't know yet," said Kawata.

"But for me personally, I'd love to do just that. It's a very, very interesting piece of hardware. Whenever I see new game machines and their new possibilities get into my head, the ideas just start flowing. I'd absolutely love to make a Resident Evil on it. I really love the idea of being able to play the game even if my wife or my kids come and steal the TV. That's great, brilliant."

Raccoon City designer Kenji Matsuura added: "As a game designer, when I see Wii U, my first thoughts are: 'Oh wow, I could do this or that, or what would happen if I try to make a game like X,Y or Z.' My motivation instantly goes through the roof and I want to try a lot of interesting new things. Nothing's been decided specifically for Resident Evil but it certainly would be interesting."

Operation Raccoon City is due for release on 360, PS3 and PC later this year. The third-person shooter takes place during the events of Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

"I think you could say, absolutely, it's one of the titles that's a core part of Capcom trying to make games that are focused on the West and what Western gamers want," added Kawata. "With this title, the way we achieved that was by working with Slant Six in Vancouver''.

"They're very, very creative and very very tuned in to what is popular and relevant. By leveraging their know-how, we've been able to make this game, which is fairly different from some of the other Resident Evils we've had out recently."