Wins $10,000
Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update
A woman sued Microsoft over a Windows 10 upgrade and ended up winning $10,000, according to a new report from The Seattle Times (via Kotaku).

The woman, Teri Goldstein of Sausalito, California, said a few days after Microsoft released Windows 10 publicly in July 2015, the computer at her travel agency business tried to download it without her consent. The update failed and her computer "slowed to a crawl," crashing at times and becoming "unusable for days at a time."
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3087190-win10.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	16983
"I had never heard of Windows 10," Goldstein said. "Nobody ever asked me if I wanted to update
Goldstein attempted to reach Microsoft's customer support department to fix the problem, but that apparently didn't work, so she decided to take Microsoft to court. She sought compensation for lost wages and to cover the cost of a new computer.

As it would happen, Goldstein won the case, earning a $10,000 judgement, after Microsoft decided not to appeal. A Microsoft representative said the company didn't want to take the legal battle any further to "avoid the expense of further litigation," according to The Times.

Microsoft denied any wrongdoing.

In May, Microsoft introduced a new and more aggressive way to get Windows 10 on more machines. From GameSpot sister site CNET's report:

"Instead of simply giving you the option to install its latest operating system (or not), Microsoft now automatically schedules a date and time to update your PC to Windows 10. If you don't want the software update or if you want to change the installation date, you have to take deliberate action: manually click a link in the message, then choose to reschedule it or cancel it altogether."

As of May 2016, Windows 10 had reached 300 million installs across all devices, including PC, Xbox One, and phones.

If you have an eligible device, you can get Windows 10 free right now, but not for much longer--the offer expires on July 29. After that, you will need to buy Windows 10, which starts at $120 for Windows Home.

Looking ahead, Windows 10 will expand with new features and functionality this summer with the major Anniversary Update on Xbox One and PC. According to Microsoft, the update will offer "key gaming features." A full list of features has not been announced, but expected ones include the ability for all Xbox Ones to act as development kits, as well as background music and support for Cortana.

The Xbox One is a Windows 10 device, as November 2015's New Xbox One Experience update introduced it as the underlying operating system for the console. The Anniversary update is also coming to PC, introducing features and tweaks such as improved support for stylus pens and a biometric sign-in option for the Edge browser. It also adds support for Microsoft's Hololens augmented reality headset.