VIP Member

Array

Xbox Live Fall Dashboard preview: From 'nonsense' to Metro

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nxe2xmen530.jpg 
Views:	1693 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	2357
    Terry Farrell, senior product manager of Xbox Live entertainment, is pretty excited about the new Fall Dashboard update.
    As the individual who partners with first and third-party video content providers, he's the go-to guy to talk to about Microsoft's future plans for offering video content. Too bad he couldn't get too specific with us.

So why the new Dashboard? "We had a lot of feedback from our users who wanted to see the current Dashboard evolve and had problems discovering content," Farrell said. "We saw the success of Kinect -- 10 million of those sensors had been sold -- and it kinda was the intersection where we started thinking about having a unified design, whether you had a controller and/or a Kinect. That's kind of where we landed with this."

And it really is a union of the two. Using the controller, you can access the different destinations up top like Games or Music or Apps; to highlight different panes in each of the promotional areas and basically get around like you used to. Or, using Kinect's voice recognition, you can simply say a category and have the Xbox take you there -- in English Canada, the US and English UK, the initial launch territories for voice recognition and search. Microsoft will roll out compatibility to other territories when it can.

Name:	windowsphonegameshub.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	2358
    "If you're familiar with Windows Phone, we have a design language within Microsoft called Metro. And so the look and feel is very consistent with what you'd see on the phone." So what you get is a more tiled look, doing away with the vertical stacking and chunky, huge images of NXE. "That nonsense is gone," Farrell said of the Kinect Hub -- at any time, if your Kinect is hooked up you can wave your hand and navigate around the Dashboard that way. It all looked very seamless, though there were a few graphical bugs and no Beacon functionality in this build.

The most exciting part about the new Dashboard update -- aside from the Live TV stuff, which Farrell wasn't budging on -- is the implementation of Bing. Whether using a controller or the cooler Kinect implementation, you can instantly access a variety of content across several different areas of Xbox Live. Farrell started off by saying, "Xbox, Bing Batman," at which point several listings showed up. Underneath each were a rating and an icon, denoting whether it was a TV show, a movie or a game. By saying something like "Xbox, show games," you'll be able to parse the results even further. These results spanned Netflix, Hulu Plus and Zune -- and in the case of that last one, Kinect voice recognition can be used all the way through the point of purchase.

Name:	rangonxe2599.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	2359
    The Quick Launch functionality of NXE is also evolving to encompass more than just a handful of games. Now, you'll have a shortcut into your active history, which will list your recent apps as well as recently played games. If you watched Netflix yesterday, it'll be right there in the Quick Play section of your home area.

Naturally, the question of YouTube came up, but the build I was able to check out didn't have it in there. For Farrell, the priority is really getting Bing where the company wants it and promoting the console's streaming content. "For us, right now, the goal is to focus on more of that long-form content: music, movies, games and TV shows," Farrell said. "Lower down on the list is something like YouTube. YouTube is kinda crazy with the amount of titles people can name and just throw up there. We can't guarantee we'll have all of that stuff day one, but we'll be continually evolving the Dashboard on the back end to get it there."

Although I couldn't see Beacons in use, Farrell did talk about some of the functionality of Facebook sharing. We already knew that, but one thing that really interested me was Achievement sharing for, uh, obvious reasons. At the outset, users can highlight Achievements and share them on Facebook or Twitter with a custom message. Microsoft will also empower developers to add functionality "as an auto-piece" to their games that will Tweet or post to Facebook when you earn an Achievement. Of course, that's cause for concern: Uncharted 2's Twitter functionality was probably the most well-known game to abuse social networking. "You can ignore your friends on Facebook," Farrell joked. "We'll also have an option to disable it."

Sadly, Farrell wouldn't allow me to take any pictures or video of the new Dashboard in use nor would he disclose any information on Live TV partners in the US at launch. He did promise that a beta would be open to us next month. We'll be able to take all of the screens and video we want then, and we'll be sure to throw up some in-depth walkthroughs as soon as possible.

The still-unnamed "new dash" update hasn't been dated, and is currently slated for a tentative "Holiday 2011" release.
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6922 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 568 Times in 319 Posts

Inactive Member
    Array

Re: Xbox Live Fall Dashboard preview: From 'nonsense' to Metro

I don't know about the whole "tile" look, but some of the features that are coming with it sound pretty cool.

stevo9871

I as really excited for the new TV programming they are going to be offering.

Array
    Twitter: @

I'm not really sure I like the Metro / Windows 8 tile look. The current "cards" style works better for me.
    Maybe I'll give it a second opinion once it's out though, can't really say for sure before trying it on my own.

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Guys guys guys, what if, wait for it, what if we got an internet browser like every other device released this decade? There are fridges with more internet features then a xbox.

Tile look practically demands kinect, im not quite at the stage were i will wail about like a fool to navigate, still id do it on a browser.

Hoshikage

Array

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Guys guys guys, what if, wait for it, what if we got an internet browser like every other device released this decade? There are fridges with more internet features then a xbox.

Tile look practically demands kinect, im not quite at the stage were i will wail about like a fool to navigate, still id do it on a browser.
    Internet browser will unlock the gate to Pandora's box which MS won't do. As for the dash, I think I can get used to it :)
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 8211 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,980 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

News Reporter

Array

Dont like the look of it at all, will defo be sticking with FSD.

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

im looking forward to this new dash hoping it will be as good as they r showing it to be but we will see
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24426 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast