360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Rumor has it, Final Fantasy is dead.
Register
    Haven Donator

Array

Rumor has it, Final Fantasy is dead.

Okay, now before I get into it; I felt I should notify you guys that I’m only speaking of one. Let’s have a history lesson; back in 2006, Square-Enix showed off a game in its Final Fantasy franchise; which one was it? If you answered Final Fantasy Versus 13; then you win a hug! We haven’t heard anything really new about Versus 13, which leads to a lot of people wondering, what the bloody hell is going on? Well, rumor has it, that according to Kotaku.com, the game has actually just been outright canceled and never going to release.

In the same report, it is said that Square-Enix has made the decision to let the game that has been anticipated by so many, die a very lonely death. Rather then come out and tell us, “the game is canceled, move on”, they want to just have the game fade from our memory and into oblivion. Another report claims that development resources for Final Fantasy 13 have actually been implemented into Final Fantasy 14; but it is unclear if that means actual assets or staff. Now, personally, I think this part of the rumor is a bit suspect but then again, it’s really not the first time a company has done this. But, Final Fantasy Versus 13 was a part of a compilation for Final Fantasy 13; not only that, but it was a heavily hyped game and there was even over 9 minutes of trailer shown for it. For those that missed it, take a look for yourself below;

As a gaming journalist, I find it extremely hard to believe that a game, with this much effort to promote it, would just die quietly without Enix saying anything. Versus 13 definitely deserves respect and as seen in the trailer, the developers have evidently worked very hard to bring us the trailer; they deserve the respect to at least have their title formally cancelled. But then there’s the comment about the assets moving on; could they have indeed taken those assets to use in the Final Fantasy 14, version 2.0? Hear me out, there have been rumors about a Final Fantasy 13-3, so it could mean that they may be canning Versus 13, only to transform the existing concepts to fit the Final Fantasy 13 universe as well. It would certainly prove both rumors correct and we all know, in the gaming industry, rumors can sometimes hold weight.

There is undoubtedly many thoughts on this issue and yes, I don’t buy that Square is letting Versus 13 die without a formal announcement of the cancellation, if it is indeed true. As we all know, Final Fantasy, as a franchise, is celebrating 25 years and Square Enix is hosting an event. Sadly, none of the indicated events that will be present at that same show include Final Fantasy Versus 13 which makes me think that if it is canceled, the formal announcement will come there. While everything does seem to point to Versus 13 being yanked from the line-up, I still have my reservations. Sure, it has been 6 years since the game was announced but Final Fantasy 13 itself took 4 years to be released. If anything, I’m either suspecting that Versus 13 has fallen to the same fate or Final Fantasy 13-3 is indeed true, and will in fact adopt these concepts and alter them to fit the FF13 universe.

But, I am just a gaming journalist with opinions and while they don’t confirm anything, I think they certainly raise some questions and makes you, the reader, think; well, at least I hope so. Anyway gamers, I thank you again for listening to my rant about this issue and my need to try and disprove this rumor. Perhaps it’s the Final Fantasy fan boy in me, trying to speak out and be heard but whatever it is, I stand firmly by my prediction that if anything, that event that Enix is hosting will hold some sort of answer.
    About the Author
    Fernando Da Costa I'm a executive editor here at Hard Reset and I attend a Game Development Program here, in Canada. My favourite genres are JRPG's and Action-Adventure games. Yup, I love me some cutesy Japanese anime girls. Lke all of you, I get giddy and start giggling like a school girl when new games are released from my favourite Developers. My Playstation 3 is my technological baby (mother unknown) and I own a 3DS. I have a weird love for that handheld; I don't think it's normal. Other then that; I also enjoy writing stories, with 3 manuscripts completed. Oh, big Soccer fan as well! FORCA PORTUGAL!
    Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5263 || Posts : 892 || Thanks : 148 || Thanked 223 Times in 122 Posts

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Re: Rumor has it, Final Fantasy is dead.

i will always like Final Fantasy games, i hope Square Enix, will see that cancelling this game is the wrong decision, or that the rumor is not true, or that its changed to Final Fantasy XIV, something to give me hope in XD, also this was a nice read, nice share drizzt
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24457 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Haven Donator

Array

Re: Rumor has it, Final Fantasy is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudStrife7x View Post
    i will always like Final Fantasy games, i hope Square Enix, will see that cancelling this game is the wrong decision, or that the rumor is not true, or that its changed to Final Fantasy XIV, something to give me hope in XD, also this was a nice read, nice share drizzt
    i knew you would like the read cloud
    Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5263 || Posts : 892 || Thanks : 148 || Thanked 223 Times in 122 Posts