360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
How to find offsets?
Register
    Array

How to find offsets?

I know the basics of hex editing and how it works, and I've done it for simpler things on the PC. For things like gold/credits/xp it's pretty basic. Find the value, edit it, verify it still works.

What I'm wondering about is more complex things such as statistics, level progression, etc. With a PC game you can watch the memory values change, but how do you go about doing that for an xbox game?

What I've been doing is taking a snapshot in time save before and after some values change, but it just seems like too many values are changing, and I don't have a decent program to compare hex values of files.

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Re: How to find offsets?

It's best if the game gives you a tangible number to work with (as opposed to a simple gauge).

First, back up your save, because you'll need it for this process. Take your save and open it in a hex editor. When you Ctrl+F for the value you're looking for, all of the instances of that value will pop up. Edit the first instance. Rehash/resign, transfer it back into your 360, and test it out. If it didn't have the effect you want, delete it, copy a save from your backup, and start over, only this time edit the next instance. Test it. Rinse and repeat, going down the list of instances, until you find what you're looking for. It's archaic and time consuming, but it's the most effective method you could use.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6855 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Haven Donator
    Array

Re: How to find offsets?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Lance View Post
    It's best if the game gives you a tangible number to work with (as opposed to a simple gauge).

First, back up your save, because you'll need it for this process. Take your save and open it in a hex editor. When you Ctrl+F for the value you're looking for, all of the instances of that value will pop up. Edit the first instance. Rehash/resign, transfer it back into your 360, and test it out. If it didn't have the effect you want, delete it, copy a save from your backup, and start over, only this time edit the next instance. Test it. Rinse and repeat, going down the list of instances, until you find what you're looking for. It's archaic and time consuming, but it's the most effective method you could use.
    Should just add it will be alot quicker and easier if your trying to mod the save and not the STFS.