360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
XBOX 360 Data Transfer Cable - Maximum Capability?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

XBOX 360 Data Transfer Cable - Maximum Capability?

I was thinking of purchasing this for making backups of my HDD, that way I won't have to open it up every time, but I was wondering what the max. size it supports, because I'm considering buying a 500GB HDD for my XBOX360 (the current HDD is a 120GB HDD, but it's getting stuffed up from installed games and whatnot), but I'm not sure if that will be recognized by the transfer kit.

Also does this even work on PCs? Because the description I found on this online store was very vague about it. So I'm not even sure if it's worth my time buying this for what I plan to do with it. (Making a backup on PC).

Haven Donator
    Array

Re: XBOX 360 Data Transfer Cable - Maximum Capability?

they dont have a "Maximum Capability", there jut cables to connect the sata cable to usb.
    it all depends on the program you then use to read the drive, there are program(s) available for every official xbox size,
    they will work on all (most) windows PC's, and also some other OS's how ever there are not many FATX classes coded in anything other that .net.
    they are more commonly used to mod(transfer your saves) however they will be able to back up your drive in some programs.

FYI you can get them for £5, not very expensive.

Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Hmmm I see.

And do you happen to know if Xplorer360 will be able to backup and restore a 120GB to 500GB HDD?

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Manually it can but thats some serous drag N drop.
    If you try and do it with an image i imagine that includes the ss.bin of the 120gb and such which you dont want to transfer because it will cripple your 500gb in depressing ways.
    The official transfer disk makes me wonder but that was originally designed to go from <120gb onto a 120gb and it fills it with a lot of crap after it transfers everything including demos and other useless crap, very annoying.
    Big files tend to really enrage the transfer programs, sending dlc annoys the hell out of me because its painfully slugish.

Is this an official 500gb or a standard (read: better & cheaper) non MS branded drive? if its the latter youll get nothing more then 16gb storage from it as a usb drive but i guess you already knew that.

Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

It'd be a Western Digital HDD for the new drive.

The one currently in my XBOX360 is a Hitachi drive.

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Unless i missed the memo, if you try to hook that up to the xboxs hard drive port its going to ignore it completely because it lacks any proper secruity sector information, one of the oldest tricks they implemented was to stop people swapping out their tiny overpriced drives for nice reasonably priced fast ones by making the drives not only use FATX but by making them need all manner of IDs and crap that a format wont provide.

With that in mind i assume youve gotten your hands on a 500gb ss.bin to inject since you do have a WD hardrive afterall (i love that brand), do MS even make 500gb drives? its been so long since i looked...
    If they dont your looking at either using 16gb as a usb drive, 120gb as an imaged drive or nothing at all because it lacks the needed info.

Gfx Artist
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Unless i missed the memo, if you try to hook that up to the xboxs hard drive port its going to ignore it completely because it lacks any proper secruity sector information, one of the oldest tricks they implemented was to stop people swapping out their tiny overpriced drives for nice reasonably priced fast ones by making the drives not only use FATX but by making them need all manner of IDs and crap that a format wont provide.

With that in mind i assume youve gotten your hands on a 500gb ss.bin to inject since you do have a WD hardrive afterall (i love that brand), do MS even make 500gb drives? its been so long since i looked...
    If they dont your looking at either using 16gb as a usb drive, 120gb as an imaged drive or nothing at all because it lacks the needed info.
    Hmmm I think the biggest HDD is 250GB now right?

I thought it would be possible to upgrade to a 500GB :( That's a shame, I didn't know there was so much stuff involved in it.

Hitachi isn't an 'official' MS brand either though, it's probably possible to get bigger HDDs to work, but like you said; security is a problem. :/

[edit]
    Apparently someone did get their 500GB drive to work, but no tutorial was posted on how to do it. Probably JTagged according to people who commented.

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    Hitachi isn't an 'official' MS brand either though
    Actually it kind of is, they have at points in time manufactured both dvd drives and hard disc drives intended for the xbox360 under contract so they are a microsoft sanctioned parts manufacturer, doesnt mean they can pop out some rogue gear for it however. Theres a degree of hilarity in putting your brand name on part of a product that nobody is meant to ever see...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast