360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Outrage over ‘Mass Effect 3′ ending reaches the FTC
Register
    Haven Donator
    Array

Outrage over ‘Mass Effect 3′ ending reaches the FTC

Bioware's Mass Effect 3 has earned plenty of praise from gaming critics, but a small, vocal percentage of players aren't thrilled with the game's ending, to put it mildly.

And now they're bringing their issues to the Feds.

A user on the Bioware forums who goes by the name "El_Spiko" says he has complained to the Federal Trade Commission about the resolution of the trilogy -- and he's calling on other disgruntled fans to do the same.

"After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," wrote the poster (who we're assuming didn't file it under the name El_Spiko). "This is not somethign [sic] I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses."

He also encouraged others unhappy with the ending to complain to the Better Business Bureau.

While the FTC will likely do exactly squat in the matter, Bioware is certainly under fire here. It's tricky to get into the specifics without spoiling the ending for those yet to experience it, but the gist is that there are actually three possible endings to Mass Effect 3, which vary based on the player's in-game actions. However, argue fans, the ultimate conclusion of the game isn't one that's based on how people played the game and is too open-ended. For a series defined by the interplay between player choices and subsequent consequences, that has some people seeing red.

Before complaining to the Feds, gamers launched the usual online protests, including a petition and a charity drive (which has already passed $67,000.) A 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Facebook page has amassed some 42,000 supporters, and an associated Twitter account has over 4,000 followers.

Bioware hasn't made any commitments to address the issue, but did take to Facebook early Monday to acknowledge the complaints.

"We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending," the developer said. "We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

"Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive."

Not everyone is hoping for a change, however. A newly formed 'Keep Mass Effect' group has popped up on Facebook to lend support to Bioware's original vision.

Advertiser

Array

Re: Outrage over ‘Mass Effect 3′ ending reaches the FTC

It's Bioware's game and they can do whatever they want with it lol! Get over it.
    Downloads : 111 || Uploads : 7 || Rep Power : 8152 || Posts : 3,225 || Thanks : 1,151 || Thanked 328 Times in 242 Posts

LEGIT HACKERS DON'T ADVERTISE!

aznghostbuster

This issue has gotten so out of hand... I played and beaten Mass Effect 3 And I will admit that the ending was kind of disappointing (Like Borderlands), but under all the negative criticism and bullshit Bioware had to endure, in the end, it's JUST a video game.

Advertiser

Array

Quote Originally Posted by aznghostbuster View Post
    This issue has gotten so out of hand... I played and beaten Mass Effect 3 And I will admit that the ending was kind of disappointing (Like Borderlands), but under all the negative criticism and bullshit Bioware had to endure, in the end, it's JUST a video game.
    You have just hit the nail right on the head.........."it's JUST a video game"
    Downloads : 111 || Uploads : 7 || Rep Power : 8152 || Posts : 3,225 || Thanks : 1,151 || Thanked 328 Times in 242 Posts

LEGIT HACKERS DON'T ADVERTISE!

Shanks

Great first they out in a crap ending on purpose, and now they can sell a new ending for 15$.
    Thats how you rip people off there money.

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

another thing i dont care about lol, but yeah people need to chill its just a game
    Last edited by CloudStrife7x; 03-22-2012 at 02:58 AM.
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24458 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Gfx Artist

Array

Quote Originally Posted by RpGGuY View Post
    It's Bioware's game and they can do whatever they want with it lol! Get over it.
    lol its not bioware its EA doing an yea i know this post old
    Downloads : 83 || Uploads : 1 || Rep Power : 5532 || Posts : 779 || Thanks : 180 || Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts

Come and play Jade Dynasty with me! its really fun F2P game
    In USA-West Doom Bog, my name is voidmage. My Inductor ID is 2181857X052400011008721Z7da1fb

Retired Staff

Array
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudStrife7x View Post
    another thing i dont care about lol, but yeah people need to chill its just a game
    +1 what cloud said lol
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 15493 || Posts : 10,471 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,224 Posts