360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Volition targets Used buyers like myself.
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

Volition targets Used buyers like myself.

Source: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/voliti...siness-6349861

sorry if its already been mentioned. i didn't find it anywhere. and i just found out today.

The used game business is a contentious issue. For companies like GameStop, sales of used games are big business, but those who actually develop games don't see a dime when people purchase their titles secondhand. One developer recently vocalized his take on the used game market, and it paints a less than lovely image of the business.

In a recent entry on game developer blog AltDevBlog titled "I Feel Used," Volition design director Jameson Durall lambasted the used game market and noted that change is needed or the industry will crumble.

"In the end, I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart," he said. "People often don't understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60. They also don't seem to realize how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing."
    Durall, who is currently working on a secret project at Volition, laid out a plan for combating used game sales. He said supporting games with downloadable content will encourage users to hold on to their games longer. However, Durall warned that this tactic only will work if the DLC in question is "compelling and a good enough value" for consumers.

Durall also pledged his support to the online pass schemes being used by publishers like Electronic Arts, THQ, Sony, and others, whereby parts of a game are available only to those with a new copy of a game.

"Some consumers complain about this method because the precedent has always been that it's included in the price and should come with it," he said. "It did for the person who actually bought it first…so was saving that $5 at GameStop worth it for you?"

Looking ahead, Durall said he also embraced Sony's plan to offer digital copies of PlayStation Vita titles--which cannot become used units--at a discounted rate. He said he expects gamers to be enticed to buy digital copies because of their lower price rate and this will in turn lead to fewer used copies in the wild.

Durall also talked about the rumor that the Next Xbox would prevent gamers from playing used titles. Durall said this kind of mechanism would be "a fantastic change for our business," while admitting gamers would not be excited about it at first.

That said, Durall said he believes gamers will "grow to understand why and that it won't kill him."

As for how Microsoft might go about preventing gamers from playing used titles, Durall said the company already has a system in place. He suggests that Microsoft would need to only use a code to tie a copy of a title to an Xbox Live account and make the game playable only on that account.

Durall admits that a system like this would hurt the game rental business and that there are several "faults that would have to be ironed out," but nevertheless, he contends that it is certainly possible.

Array

Re: Volition targets Used buyers like myself.

wow just wow as a small game shop owner if this guy gets his way my business would cease to exist. small privately owned shops make all or most of their profit from used game sales with dealers selling us new games at 55$were making 5$ a game but on used titles considerably more.

now imagine if he gets his way and the console manufacturers decided they longer wanted us to be able to buy/sell used systems. it would only be a matter of time before we had no rights as a consumer at all.

its a great idea to protect your investments but once you sell your product does it not belong to the buyer to do with as they please? unfortunately more and more companies feel they retain the rights of any hardware we buy . gaming is a huge example of companies controlling what we can and cannot do with our own hardware but what happens if other industries take their example

imagine cars not starting because you dont match the original registered owner, ipod locking or erasing themselves because your fingerprint doesnt match, hell with the right justification of monetary injustice by a company anything could be rendered useless, maybe im old fashioned but i grew up learning how to share WTF happened to that? if it werent for used or borrowed games many of us may not have gotten into gaming when we did.

wow i realise im ranting so ill end it here. What the fuck ever happened to good old fashioned sharing?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lonelyhero For This Useful Post:

Haven Donator
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by hamako View Post
    Source: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/voliti...siness-6349861

sorry if its already been mentioned. i didn't find it anywhere. and i just found out today.

The used game business is a contentious issue. For companies like GameStop, sales of used games are big business, but those who actually develop games don't see a dime when people purchase their titles secondhand. One developer recently vocalized his take on the used game market, and it paints a less than lovely image of the business.

In a recent entry on game developer blog AltDevBlog titled "I Feel Used," Volition design director Jameson Durall lambasted the used game market and noted that change is needed or the industry will crumble.

"In the end, I fully believe that we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart," he said. "People often don't understand the cost that goes into creating these huge experiences that we put on the shelves for only $60. They also don't seem to realize how much they are hurting us when they buy a used game and how pirating a copy is just plain stealing."
    Durall, who is currently working on a secret project at Volition, laid out a plan for combating used game sales. He said supporting games with downloadable content will encourage users to hold on to their games longer. However, Durall warned that this tactic only will work if the DLC in question is "compelling and a good enough value" for consumers.

Durall also pledged his support to the online pass schemes being used by publishers like Electronic Arts, THQ, Sony, and others, whereby parts of a game are available only to those with a new copy of a game.

"Some consumers complain about this method because the precedent has always been that it's included in the price and should come with it," he said. "It did for the person who actually bought it first…so was saving that $5 at GameStop worth it for you?"

Looking ahead, Durall said he also embraced Sony's plan to offer digital copies of PlayStation Vita titles--which cannot become used units--at a discounted rate. He said he expects gamers to be enticed to buy digital copies because of their lower price rate and this will in turn lead to fewer used copies in the wild.

Durall also talked about the rumor that the Next Xbox would prevent gamers from playing used titles. Durall said this kind of mechanism would be "a fantastic change for our business," while admitting gamers would not be excited about it at first.

That said, Durall said he believes gamers will "grow to understand why and that it won't kill him."

As for how Microsoft might go about preventing gamers from playing used titles, Durall said the company already has a system in place. He suggests that Microsoft would need to only use a code to tie a copy of a title to an Xbox Live account and make the game playable only on that account.

Durall admits that a system like this would hurt the game rental business and that there are several "faults that would have to be ironed out," but nevertheless, he contends that it is certainly possible.
    Do that relize that those "60 Dollar games" amass them huge revenue....this is just another example of big again little...and I don't think the Amer will let it happen like he thinks....he just wants a deeper pocket....

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Quote Originally Posted by lonelyhero View Post
    wow just wow as a small game shop owner if this guy gets his way my business would cease to exist. small privately owned shops make all or most of their profit from used game sales with dealers selling us new games at 55$were making 5$ a game but on used titles considerably more.

now imagine if he gets his way and the console manufacturers decided they longer wanted us to be able to buy/sell used systems. it would only be a matter of time before we had no rights as a consumer at all.

its a great idea to protect your investments but once you sell your product does it not belong to the buyer to do with as they please? unfortunately more and more companies feel they retain the rights of any hardware we buy . gaming is a huge example of companies controlling what we can and cannot do with our own hardware but what happens if other industries take their example

imagine cars not starting because you dont match the original registered owner, ipod locking or erasing themselves because your fingerprint doesnt match, hell with the right justification of monetary injustice by a company anything could be rendered useless, maybe im old fashioned but i grew up learning how to share WTF happened to that? if it werent for used or borrowed games many of us may not have gotten into gaming when we did.

wow i realise im ranting so ill end it here. What the fuck ever happened to good old fashioned sharing?
    couldnt have said it better myself XD, i agree 100% with you :)
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 24435 || Posts : 18,751 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,607 Posts

Haven Donator
    Array

They sold 6 million copies of the saints row series and at an even 60 with no tax they made about $360,000,000 without dlc added on ether....and correct me if im wrong but didn't they make a dlc homie for the third based off cheapyD from cheapassgamer.com which sells used games lol sorry that I keep talking about this but it bothers me more then I thought lol

Haven Donator

Array

Worse rebuttal ever for the used game topic. Using his logic (which is my opinion on the matter anyway) The particular title is already purchased therefore the sale on the publishers side is already complete. Therefore the continued sale after the original purchase is none of their business as their say in the transaction ends after the original sale

I worded that extremely badly but thats the jist of what I'm trying to get at
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5573 || Posts : 713 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 79 Times in 53 Posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paprika For This Useful Post:

Haven Donator
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Worse rebuttal ever for the used game topic. Using his logic (which is my opinion on the matter anyway) The particular title is already purchased therefore the sale on the publishers side is already complete. Therefore the continued sale after the original purchase is none of their business as their say in the transaction ends after the original sale

Made complete sense to me lol

Vincent Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post

In simple words are you saying that basically once a new copy is sold and if its returned thus becoming a used copy, the game company gets less money than the company who sold it?

Ex: say a saints row the third is new for $60 plus tax, someone buys it from gamestop and take it back thus becoming a used copy, game stop gets a minimum amount of the money that was from that one game and if it's used does GameStop get more of the money from the game that was used and was bought than the actual game company?

Not really simple explanation so sorry if that's confusing lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast