360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Our gaming industry today.
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

Angry Our gaming industry today.

Hi everyone, this is my first "formal" post in the forums so I wanted to talk about something interesting.

Today we see that the gaming industry is evolving, giving us better games, more powerfull consoles and ways to interact with others, but at the same time it looks like it has started to show great signs of corruptions from 3 years to now.
    What I am talking about is the lame practices that are being used to earn Money on us gamers.
    Examples: 1-Pre-Order incentives that sometimes feel like something needed in the game or just too cool to be left out, forcing us to pre-order it. 2-DLC's: It is true that games like Borderlands or Skyrim do the DLC practice correctly, because they gave us a great and complete game and are trying to expand it to give us more features, BUT at the same time, other companies create tons of small dlcs like armors, weapons, missions to keep taking Money from us, when they could have implemented it in the retail game to start with. Not to mention the DAY 1 DLCs, this is an insult, because if it is released with the game, then it WAS made at the same time and could be on the disc, or even worse like Capcom, that leave the dlc in the disk for us to pay again for it.
    3-Lame consoles updates like PS Move o "Lite" versions, that make them smaller better-looking but add almost nothing to it.
    So, what do you think, do you agree and think the gaming industry really doesnt care about us gamers any more, just being concerned with their wallets? Or do you disagree and think I am being unfair?
    NOTE: I still think there are exeptions.
    Leave your opinion please.

P.S. Excuse my English, it is not my mother lenguage.

Demon

Array

Re: Our gaming industry today.

I definitely agree, the industry as a whole has become much too greedy, the nickle and diming is getting to be a bit much as well. One thing that has always pissed me off is that content is purposely left out of games to be added with a code that you only get if the game is purchased new. (yes, I mean you EA) I mean how many times do they need to cash in on the same game? They are going out of their way to make used games obsolete because once you buy it used, you then have to spend anywhere from $10 and up to get content that should have been there from the start. Many games these days feel rushed as well, it's like it's all about quantity over quality; I can count the games that I actually bough in the last six months on one hand, too many don't live up to the hype, and are completely forgettable after you finish them. I get that it's a business, I have no problem with these companies making money, but there needs to be a point where it's just too much, it's a muli-billion dollar a year industry, yet they take ever opportunity to nickle and dime us to death.
    Downloads : 66 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5452 || Posts : 547 || Thanks : 95 || Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts

Array

I completely agree with both of you. Very rarely do you even buy a game today that is completed or doesn't have some Day 1 DLC. Seems every game has a lot of bugs, felt rushed, or they just ran out of any creativity by the end of the game. These micro-transactions are becoming more and more common. The companies are becoming more and more greedy. Now don't get me wrong there have been some great games released and naturally games will have some bugs but some games are near unplayable day 1. For example I bought Dead Island Riptide for the PS3 when it came out. It felt more like an add on than its own game. But that wasn't the problem. 4 different times I started a game, made it some distance, died, game crashed during reloading, and corrupted my save. I traded it in and got the 360 version and have had 0 problems. I don't think a game should have problems like that day 1 especially when they just copied the old game anyway.

Haven Mangekyo Sharigan Master

Array

Most companies now want to you to pay more for a game.... so they leave things out making the games seem unfinished.... Now to make the game a finish version.. you have to buy DLC... Which later on becomes one game in it self... Which is why the game has sooo many bugs, because they taking the game apart and making it DLC. Its called get me richer.. plan.....lol
    Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5816 || Posts : 1,244 || Thanks : 217 || Thanked 144 Times in 120 Posts

AFX ART: By me

Array

like 13danny mentioned, the nickle and dime bs is getting ridiculous.. buying a game these days has basically become an investment not a purchase and thats sad..
    i've been saying for years now that the 2 worst things to ever happen to gaming is online mp and dlc, damn i miss the ps2 days.. :(

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

It isn't just Capcom that's doing on-disc DLC; when downloading a DLC, look at the file size (if it's 180kb, then it's already on the disc).

I've been saying that we're headed towards another crash for years now, and it's stuff like that. To be perfectly honest, I think the way Microsoft is handling it with how the new Xbox works is probably the best way to handle it, even if it puts me out of a comfort zone I've been in for so many years. The used game model of the past few generations (where developers don't see a dime from used game sales) has to go, no matter how much we consumers really really really like getting cheaper games. The biggest reason developers put such a emphasis on pre-orders is because that's the only way they can make money anymore; nobody will buy a game new when it's available used for $5 off (plus whatever discount they're already getting from having a Gamestop card).

As you mentioned before, releasing largely unfinished games and charging consumers to unlock the rest of the content (and passing it off as DLC) is really popular right now among the big developers, especially Capcom, and ESPECIALLY] EA, which only serves to undermine the value of true DLC (not to mention rub those companies' reputation through the mud). Speaking of EA, buying out smaller companies just to earn a quick buck isn't helping the medium either, and it really hurts us all when the companies that EA buys are only allowed to produce their most famous games. Like buying out Bioware and then only letting them produce Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, or buying Visceral and only letting them produce Dead Space games. And then, when a specific game doesn't meet sales expectations, EA completely disbands the group, never to make any of their games again.

I'm gonna be honest here guys. I really kinda hope we do go through a crash soon. There are still companies out there that care about what we think of them (Nintendo, Ubisoft, FromSoftware, etc). As soon as the industry starts looking grim, the unfaithful companies like EA and Capcom will leave. Then we just let the decent companies build the industry back up again by their own rules. Sure, they'll have more power and will thus be just a bit more corrupt, but I'd be willing to bet one of my kidneys that it won't be anywhere near as bad as EA or Capcom. And then, if companies like EA and Capcom want back in (remember, after they BAILED), they'll have to play by the rules set by the better companies (at least at first).

At least, that's how I hope it turns out. Either way, it's practices by companies like EA and Capcom that are driving the industry into ruination right now.
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6831 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Lance View Post
    It isn't just Capcom that's doing on-disc DLC; when downloading a DLC, look at the file size (if it's 180kb, then it's already on the disc).

I've been saying that we're headed towards another crash for years now, and it's stuff like that. To be perfectly honest, I think the way Microsoft is handling it with how the new Xbox works is probably the best way to handle it, even if it puts me out of a comfort zone I've been in for so many years. The used game model of the past few generations (where developers don't see a dime from used game sales) has to go, no matter how much we consumers really really really like getting cheaper games. The biggest reason developers put such a emphasis on pre-orders is because that's the only way they can make money anymore; nobody will buy a game new when it's available used for $5 off (plus whatever discount they're already getting from having a Gamestop card).

As you mentioned before, releasing largely unfinished games and charging consumers to unlock the rest of the content (and passing it off as DLC) is really popular right now among the big developers, especially Capcom, and ESPECIALLY] EA, which only serves to undermine the value of true DLC (not to mention rub those companies' reputation through the mud). Speaking of EA, buying out smaller companies just to earn a quick buck isn't helping the medium either, and it really hurts us all when the companies that EA buys are only allowed to produce their most famous games. Like buying out Bioware and then only letting them produce Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, or buying Visceral and only letting them produce Dead Space games. And then, when a specific game doesn't meet sales expectations, EA completely disbands the group, never to make any of their games again.

I'm gonna be honest here guys. I really kinda hope we do go through a crash soon. There are still companies out there that care about what we think of them (Nintendo, Ubisoft, FromSoftware, etc). As soon as the industry starts looking grim, the unfaithful companies like EA and Capcom will leave. Then we just let the decent companies build the industry back up again by their own rules. Sure, they'll have more power and will thus be just a bit more corrupt, but I'd be willing to bet one of my kidneys that it won't be anywhere near as bad as EA or Capcom. And then, if companies like EA and Capcom want back in (remember, after they BAILED), they'll have to play by the rules set by the better companies (at least at first).

At least, that's how I hope it turns out. Either way, it's practices by companies like EA and Capcom that are driving the industry into ruination right now.
    actually the whole "no used games" thing turned out to be false, same with the "must be online to play" bs.. and its a good thing too cause microsoft would have destroyed any hopes of them having a future in the gaming industry had they gone that route.. and i think they realized this.

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTsung View Post
    actually the whole "no used games" thing turned out to be false, same with the "must be online to play" bs.. and its a good thing too cause microsoft would have destroyed any hopes of them having a future in the gaming industry had they gone that route.. and i think they realized this.
    Oh, we're still gonna have to be online to use the Xbox, just not online all the time; they're talking about a check once every 24 hours. So if something's wrong with the internet on a certain day (like if there is a storm or you forget to pay the internet bill) then the new Xbox will still lock you out. Used games is the same way. Playing used games will be possible, but each game is disc is tied to a specific gamertag; Microsoft will charge a fee whenever a person tries to install a disc that's already tied to another gamertag.

I'm going to the PS4 for this, guys. I'll still probably get a Xbox One, but it'll probably be towards the end of its life (like my PS3).
    Downloads : 22 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 6831 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 633 Times in 307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast