360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Save your Pokmon game files before its too late!
Register
    Banned Noob
    Array
    Twitter: @

Save your Pokmon game files before its too late!

Pokmon fans around the world were devastated to find out that all of their Gameboy cartridges would soon be wiped clean of their save games, but discoveries have shown that its not too late.

The original fear of losing your data came from the way files are saved on various Gameboy cartridges. Inside every game there is a small battery that kept them powered at all times, as this was the easiest way to store files when the GB, GBC and GBA were released (if you have the Pokmon Crystal or other transparent titles, you can see the flat disc-like battery). What is commonly known is that these batteries last for about 15 years and seeing that Pokmon was launched in North America in September 1998, fans believed the clock was ticking.

A new tutorial by Nintendo handyman Adr990 however shows that there is a simple way to replace cartridge batteries without losing your saves. Adr himself claims its so easy that hes actually surprised no one tried this before.

As a game cart with a dead battery still does save your game as long as it is in your console playing, it means that the SRAM is powered. The SRAM keeps your data, and has to be powered all the time to keep the data, the youtuber explains. So, as the console powers the SRAM, you can just get the battery, and replace it while its on! Just make sure the battery is in there securely before you power off the console. Then take the game out for a few seconds, and plug it back in the console.

Depending on what battery you use, the replacement should hold for up to another 10-20 years. Adr recommends a 2032 4v Coin Cell Battery.

Seeing how many cartridge based titles have batteries for storing user data, gamers everywhere should be sure to maintain their collections. Especially when thinking of a series like Pokmon, it cant go unsaid that even in our current generation communities across the globe continue to treasure these old school classics.
    Damn... there goes my Emerald save

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array

Re: Save your Pokmon game files before its too late!

did not expect this when i read the thread title lol, oh well this dont affect me, i dont have a gameboy anymore lol
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 22148 || Posts : 18,760 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,095 Times in 2,607 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudStrife7x For This Useful Post:

Banned Noob
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by CloudStrife7x View Post
    did not expect this when i read the thread title lol, oh well this dont affect me, i dont have a gameboy anymore lol
    lol i have a DS but never play it... although ima play some pokemon on my RGH :D

Bear Hugs

Array

Huh, very interesting I gotta say. Never knew about this even though I never keep up with the games anymore. Well done, gotta tell my Pokemon fan friends about this.
    Downloads : 23 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4221 || Posts : 1,935 || Thanks : 150 || Thanked 216 Times in 189 Posts

I've given you knowledge and wisdom. Different places we come from, but open arms we accept.- My Mentor

6. The Following User Says Thank You to revsix6 For This Useful Post:

Haven Donator
    Chaos
    Array

My friends emerald messed up, so he had to take the battery out of his crystal and put it in emerald. Such a shame he doesn't know about this.
    Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 2 || Rep Power : 2471 || Posts : 182 || Thanks : 148 || Thanked 88 Times in 39 Posts

Alert Warning. If you are reading this, then you wasted your time.

loldongs89

Yeah this works nice. my pokemon red cart still seems to be fine but alot of my SNES games started to forget my saves so i had to replace the battery in them, im somewhat experienced at soldering but even a first timer could do it.