360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Demonoid busted by the police
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Haven Donator
    Array

Demonoid busted by the police

Demonoid, one of the biggest torrent sites, was taken down on July 25 by a massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. Ukrainian officials then made sure the servers remained inaccessible, apparently to show the U.S. it is taking intellectual property rights seriously. News broke today that Demonoid was busted by Ukrainian authorities in the middle of last week. The massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack that brought the site to its knees late last month was apparently just the beginning.
    Last week, the server was turned off completely and the site led to a dead end. Then it came back to life and started redirecting to random sites full of advertisements. Eventually this stopped and both demonoid.me and demonoid.ph went back to not responding. Now we know why.Government officials reportedly arrived at ColoCall, the largest datacenter in Ukraine, to shut Demonoid down. An anonymous ColoCall source gave a statement to Kommersant (via TorrentFreak).

Shortly after this hacker break-in occurred, and even a few days later, came the investigators. Investigators copied all the information from Demonoid's servers, and sealed them. Some equipment was not seized, but now that [the connection] does not work, we were forced to terminate the agreement with the site.

Demonoid's servers may have been closed off, but the site's administrator appears to still be at large. The source noted that the site's management is located in Mexico. In fact, the admin declared late last week that Demonoid would be back, eventually.

The general consensus is that Demonoid did not break Ukranian law. In fact, the site went to extreme measures to avoid the wrath of local authorities: it blocked all Ukranian IP addresses. Nevertheless, it is believed that the U.S. got involved, and suddenly Ukraine started looking into the torrent site.

On Friday, Ukraine's Interior Ministry announced that the site was taken down the night before its First Deputy Prime Minister Valeriy Khoroshkovsky arrived in the U.S. to discuss matters with United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk. One of the issues on the docket was, unsurprisingly, intellectual property rights. In fact, this was the first matter mentioned in their joint statement, which was released by the Office of the United States Trade Representative:

We discussed the importance to each country of greater progress on the 2010 IPR Action Plan for protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (IPR). The United States supported Ukraine's commitment to redouble efforts, especially those identified in the Action Plan, to implement protections that benefit both Ukrainian and American inventors and creators. The United States also hailed Ukraine's planned increase in intellectual property inspectors, as called for in the 2010 IPR Action Plan, as well as its adoption of a new Customs Code intended to improve customs valuation procedures.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stp007 For This Useful Post:

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

Re: Demonoid busted by the police

that sucks for the users who use that site, i was not one though
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 22149 || Posts : 18,760 || Thanks : 4,451 || Thanked 3,095 Times in 2,607 Posts

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

look america i ddos for you! do you love me now america?
    maybe i zuck yo dik?

You can just fuck off Ukraine, no one loves you.
    Downloads : 101 || Uploads : 18 || Rep Power : 3319 || Posts : 575 || Thanks : 51 || Thanked 462 Times in 200 Posts

Haven Martial Arts God

Array

well i couldn't care less about that site...

but i fear that we are "slowly" running towards the next dark ages...
    if people don't start to wake up in masses and we all start a world wide revolution and bring the politicians and bankers to the guillotines...
    we will have a real "dark" future...

(well... i'm actually against revolutions... as they will make things worse for a period of time (though after that it will be better)... but it seems the politicians and those who are manipulating the governments don't want to understand.. so we will need extreme measures in the near future...)
    Downloads : 17 || Uploads : 2 || Rep Power : 5159 || Posts : 1,193 || Thanks : 43 || Thanked 4,043 Times in 398 Posts

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
    and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
    So far, the Universe is winning.

Rich Cook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cybersam For This Useful Post:

Haven Donator
    Array

So i guess this means no more Demonoid right?

Advertiser
    Demon

Array

God Dammit

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Absolutely stellar share, stp007.

Sadly, I'm starting to believe more and more of what Bob Chipman said on the matter: the days where the internet is basically the wild west in concern to law (especially copyright) are coming to an end, and like it or not, we will have to start finding ways to deal with it.

In theory, I agree that this kind of stuff should happen, and that these kinds of groups should be taken down as soon as possible. But in practice, I'm a hypocrite, and the ways things have been unfolding lately have really been putting a damper on my hypocrisy.
    Downloads : 20 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4517 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 628 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Demon

Array

"The general consensus is that Demonoid did not break Ukranian law. In fact, the site went to extreme measures to avoid the wrath of local authorities: it blocked all Ukranian IP addresses. Nevertheless, it is believed that the U.S. got involved, and suddenly Ukraine started looking into the torrent site."
    Typical US government bs, I have nothing against most americans, but I hate politicians; so many politicians are owned by big business. The one thing I liked about demonoid was that there were no fake files, no bullshit password protected rars. It's the entertainment industry that's really pushing these politicians to do things like this, saying that they're "losing money", but can still pay their actors 20M+ for a movie somehow. The freedom of the internet is quickly become a thing of the past, especially when one governemnt can affect sites based in other countries.
    Downloads : 66 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 3139 || Posts : 547 || Thanks : 95 || Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast