360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Microsoft isntít the only company targeting Youtube partners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Haven Donator

Microsoft isntít the only company targeting Youtube partners

A few days it came to light that Microsoft had changed itís Content Usage Policy, basically forbidding anybody to make money using footage of their games including Halo, Forza, Gears of War etc. Basically, if its made by Microsoft, you canít make a penny on it, which is bad news for machinima directors on Youtube, some of which make a living doing what they do.

You see, on Youtube, if you become a partner and create videos and content that attracts a big enough audience, adverts will appear on your pages with your videos, earning you money.

While this did not harm to Microsoft, it can only do them good in my opinion, showcasing their games, Microsoft has seen that money is passing hands and they arenít getting a cut in. While I respect that they own copyrights and such, I canít respect that they are potentially taking food off people tables. That might seem a bit drastic, but in this economy people have had to be creative with the way they make a living, and some have made it by entertaining others on Youtube with videoís of their favorite video games.

Now, the point is, Microsoft got a lot of flak for this, with the online machinima community in uproar and even a petition going around, they arenít the only ones who have pulled this tactic.

EA have gone a step further, whereas Microsoft have forbidden you from making any money on their games, EA is actually taking the earning and putting it in their own pocket.

The story goes that alot of Youtube channels are finding that their adverts alongside their gameplay videos have been replaced with EA adverts. EA, within their rights, have claimed the copyrights to the videoís and are now the ones receiving revenue from the adverts.

And again, they are well within their rights to do so, but that is, in my personal opinion, lower than Microsoft. Instead of taking the food off the table, they are taking and eating it while the hungry people watch.

EA have always been known to be a money hungry powerhouse, but this latest move just shows they hold no love for the community that has made them their fortune, only the fortune that they love.

Downloads : 21 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 2526 || Posts : 892 || Thanks : 148 || Thanked 222 Times in 122 Posts

The Immortal God

Twitter: @

Re: Microsoft isntít the only company targeting Youtube partners

yup microsoft has always been about money lol
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 21727 || Posts : 18,759 || Thanks : 4,444 || Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,605 Posts

This I don't understand, they wheren't really hurting anyone I mean you don't hear sega going mental at sonic for hire. I agree that it's totally out of order :/

i don't see a problem with making machinima type video's, me and my freind were planing on doing the same type of thing for games like halo 4 and minecraft but with thish new user policy it would cost too much to even keep going for the recording equiptment alone we were talking about paying about £150 just for the basics and thats without the editing suite that for a good one wold cost about the same each and there was going to be 4 of us doing the recording so that would be £1,200 startup and thats without webspace (yes we could use youtube or something but we wanted it to look better than mashinima) but with the new user agreement all those plans will have to be scraped because we can't even ask for donations or anything like that to cover cost because that would be considered making money from it.

Haven Donator

That is so dumb. Those poor machinima partners.
    Downloads : 5 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 1921 || Posts : 66 || Thanks : 3 || Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts

I can understand that people have to make a living, but the lengths that some of the Youtube partners go to is sick.
    Misleading thumbnails on videos so people will click, begging for likes/favs. Hell just a couple years ago some directors
    did giveaways (but they shut that down quick). Point is some of these people don't even necessarily like the games
    they play. But they have to do it for the money as it is their only source of income.

Retired Staff

Twitter: @
    EA n Microsoft suck big time they can suck a big lemon those Aholes lol
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 12758 || Posts : 10,475 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,224 Posts

Thumbs up to Microsoft and EA Games.

It's about time they purged youtube of these copyright infringing gaming videos.

Let those youtube partner morons get a real job and make money the proper way instead of recording gameplay of a game they have no rights to. Nobody gives a crap about their glitch tutorials or pointless montages.

Those users should post something original on youtube and not use video games to get views or bring traffic to their channels.

For example, Epic Games creates new playable characters dlc and some loser copies their video and posts it on his channel (and gives some insipid commentary over the video) in order to get some quick cash through undeserved views.

GOOD JOB Microsoft and EA Games!!!! I love this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast