360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
[WPF] <- tag on thread title for editor releases...
Register
    Haven Martial Arts God

Array

[WPF] <- tag on thread title for editor releases...

uhm...
    ok... here is a question...
    why on earth do some of the devs add "[WPF]" to their release thread title ?!..
    i really don't get it...
    it doesn't make your editor more appealing or something... ^_^'''

i've seen a few of these release thread titles containing a "[WPF]" tag
    and when i looked in to some of them to see the screenshots... i then think... wow... i don't even want to download it... -.-
    even if its the only editor for the game in question...
    then when i see another release thread with that tag i think... naa... don't even think of checking that thread out...

don't get me wrong...
    but you're destroying the feel of the awesome stuff you can do with wpf...
    (!!! WARNING !!! bragging a head)

the next version of my star ocean editor will get the design to a new level... i know bragging... but... i usually don't like to brag

i encourage every dev to work with wpf... (.net devs anyway)
    but if you aren't going for good customization... then don't do it at all...
    you still have the ability to customize the default theme... without having to disable the default window functions
    and please go only for custom controls if you can do them...
    not just putting a background image and putting default design controls over them
    that just doesn't look good... no matter how you loot at it...

having said that...
    anyone interested in a custom dll with some specially designed controls ?!...
    if enough people care i'll make one...though it will be one set for everyone to use...
    as i can't do different design for everyone...

on a side note...
    this is not directed on anyone... its just my opinion on this matter...
    and if i offended someone... i'm sorry it wasn't intended
    Last edited by cybersam; 10-16-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: ups... i posted this in the wrong section ^_^'''
    Downloads : 17 || Uploads : 2 || Rep Power : 5159 || Posts : 1,193 || Thanks : 43 || Thanked 4,043 Times in 398 Posts

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
    and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
    So far, the Universe is winning.

Rich Cook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cybersam For This Useful Post:

Banned Noob
    Array

Re: [WPF] <- tag on thread title for editor releases...

well seeing as im the only one i seen with the WPF in the title and you were in my WPF Velvet Assasins thread i will be honored to answer you.. Also side note not offended one bit
    Anyway i did that cause i already made a tool for that which wasn't wpf, so it made sense to put that their so they would know what it is before they open it.
    Also me personally i dont ever plan on spending 2 hours to make a sexy GUI when i already spend hours coding it.(I dont copy and paste like many).
    I mainly focus on coding and making sure it functions the way it should, gui to me is the bottom of the barrel stuff.
    I only made that cause i wanted to learn wpf and see what was all the buzz, i must admit it is pretty nice if u concentrate on the gui (which again i dont). I see where your coming from when u say,
    we are wasting our time or pretty much wasting using wpf if we are not goin to take full advantage of what it is capable of doing..
    Thats why i made only 2 which again were only for testing, not really for people to download and use.
    Now with that said you really cant sit their and down other people's work seeing as thats their image of what they consider or what they want to do with wpf.
    You like to take full advantage of it, when others might lack the skill and are doing what they can do. Everyone has their own vision of what something should be or whatever but doesnt mean its ugly,
    wrong or etc. Um just asking did it really bother you seeing wpf in the title cause if so thats weird seeing theirs more idiotic annoying things i can point out on any site lol.
    Anyway this is just me answering your questions and no flame intended, of course. Well hope you dont think as this as a comeback reply or anything childish i know im the only one i seen with the wpf in their title so i was obviously one to answer your respect questions. Again much respect to you and your opinions.
    Last edited by cybersam; 10-17-2012 at 02:25 AM. Reason: sorry... but i put some line breaks in there... walls of text aren't really helping when you try to read something ^_^'''

Haven Martial Arts God

Array

Re: [WPF] <- tag on thread title for editor releases...

well i'm not trying to down your work or anything...
    i really do appreciate that you and all the devs are creating these tools (no matter how they look)
    well maybe i was a bit wrong in my previous statement... as this isn't only about the ones that have the "[WPF]" in the title...
    i check almost every tool that is released to see what people come with or what they share with the community...
    and i don't judge any of their skills with just looking at the screenshots...
    it just pains me to see good tools that may have been awesome with a better gui..
    i'm not asking for the perfect thing there is...
    also i'm too still learning and trying to find out all the possibilities of wpf...
    if for example check the wpf editors i made so far... you will notice the quality change from one editor to the other...
    of course it takes time to create a good looking gui...

but take my kingdom of amalur editor... the gui looks good (well at times i'm still not very happy with it... but that's how its always is... ^_^ )
    you know what i did to get that look ?!...
    simple... i went to the official website and checked how the website looked like... (as the ingame gui isn't really an option here...)
    i found out that most of the elements where already perfectly cut out for me...
    i just rearranged a few of them so they fitted my needs...
    took me less then 30mins to create the gui in photoshop...
    the fine tuning in wpf was a bit longer but not that much longer... as there where no animation involved.. (beside the about animaiton... but that was already set from previous work)

so all in all... you can get a good looking gui very quickly... ^_^
    i know it still takes time to create... but surely... if you like your own tool... then you ought to be trying to make it look a bit better (well... that's what i think about my own stuff anyway) ^_^
    and if you don't have the skills to recreate something in a graphics program... well... then ask for help...
    we have a lot of talented people around here and some might be willing to help

also also not asking anyone to use the full capabilities of wpf...
    as that would be nearly impossible to utilize in one tool ^_^

(and don't worry i don't think this is a childish reply or anything... ^_^)

hmmm... maybe i really should try to find the time to create some tutorials on how to create better stuff in wpf...
    Downloads : 17 || Uploads : 2 || Rep Power : 5159 || Posts : 1,193 || Thanks : 43 || Thanked 4,043 Times in 398 Posts

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
    and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
    So far, the Universe is winning.

Rich Cook