360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Xbox One: pre-owned activation cost
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Haven Donator

Xbox One: pre-owned activation cost

Xbox One: pre-owned activation to cost from $4.99 to $34.99 depending on the game. Xbox One has already caused a deal of confusion surrounding the use of pre-owned games, and on top of having to pay a fee to play used games, it seems that Microsoft and publishers will get a cut of each used sale at retail too. MCV has been told by retail sources that Microsoft has explained the pre-owned issue to stockists, and that while retailers will be free to price used games as they see fit, both Microsoft and the game’s publisher must receive a cut of the sale.The site then explained a potential scenario, where retailers must have agreed to Microsoft’s terms & conditions to sell pre-owned Xbox One games, and it must also have installed Microsoft’s Azure pre-owned framework into their own system. Once an Xbox One game is traded in at the store, it is logged with Microsoft, and the person trading in will then see the game wiped from their Xbox Live account. ConsoleDeals has suggested that retailers may get around 10% from each Xbox One pre-owned sale, which is a huge cut from the current-gen, and that activation of pre-owned Xbox One games on your console will cost around $4.99 to $34.99 – a price which is not in addition to the cost of the used game. It’s the full price, period, according to MCV. An official Microsoft statement to MCV on the matter reads, “We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed. “While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. “Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.” Major Nelson provided a statement on the matter as well: “The ability to trade in and resell games is important to gamers and to Xbox. Xbox One is designed to support the trade in and resale of games.
    “Reports about our policies for trade in and resale are inaccurate and incomplete. We will disclose more information in the near future.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stp007 For This Useful Post:

Re: Xbox One: pre-owned activation cost

Microsoft can go fuck themselves
    Downloads : 30 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 2131 || Posts : 107 || Thanks : 49 || Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts

"When I feel sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lewyp1 For This Useful Post:

Haven Donator

destroyed xbox next gen.. allways have to be about money. totally lost the gamer respect/ fucking office guys= dumb fuckers.. kinda sad..
    Downloads : 150 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 2956 || Posts : 782 || Thanks : 765 || Thanked 226 Times in 89 Posts

A Lover Not A Fighter

Haven Donator

You might want to clarify the source, which is here, and has been updated by statements saying those aforementioned statements were unconfirmed rumors and are inaccurate: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publi...retail/0116137

Also this is speculation, not fact, there are contradictory articles written all over. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...on-checks.aspx , http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/436...cks-used-games

This rumor mill gets old, the article was originally written without concrete information. Seemed like some of the "unconfirmed reports" appeared out of thin air.
    Last edited by Genepool; 05-26-2013 at 01:57 AM.

and like it will remain rumour until near enough the xbox one launch or close to it, but as microsoft are all about the money, so heres what i think, they will likely charge the remainder of the price that you would have paid for it new after paying for the preowned disk in store (like say new cost is £40 and you buy it preowned for $30 the remainder would be charged by microsoft at £10 for the activation key or something like that).

so on top of paying for a pre used or owned game we have to pay to even play it?

Well, they may have taken over the living room with the Xbox One, but they still smack people in the faces when it comes down to games, used games, etc.
    Downloads : 24 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 1888 || Posts : 271 || Thanks : 247 || Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts

Victory costs. Every time, you pay a little more.

Twitter: @

I recommend everyone to read this

3. Used Games
    This is one of the most controversial pieces of the Xbox One puzzle.
    I admit to being perhaps a little too sanguine about this at first, or at least about reports that Microsoft and game publishers might take a piece of the used game pie from GameStop.
    The real issue with used games isn’t GameStop (whose business model I’m not a fan of) but rather the end-user.
    According to statements made by Phil Harrison (both at Kotaku and Eurogamer) the age of used games isn’t quite over, but things will never be the same.
    Basically if you want to lend a game to a friend they can either log into your account to play it for free, or pay for the game (probably at full retail price) if they want to play it on their Xbox Live account. This is because games are no longer really being sold, they’re being licensed. The physical disc is just a delivery system, and the “bits on the disc” are not as important as the code downloaded to your hard drive.
    What Microsoft is doing here is both sensible and a bit ahead of its time. I say “sensible” in that they’re basically emulating the digital distribution model already in place on PC with a platform like Steam. If I own a Steam game I can play it on any computer, but if a friend wants to play it they’ll need to log into my account to do so.

The problem here is that unlike PC, console gamers are used to buying (and then lending or selling or trading in) physical copies of their games. The age of digital distribution and all of its drawbacks and benefits has not arrived for console gamers yet. It will, and Microsoft is sensible enough to anticipate it, but there will be some big bumps along the way.
    For one thing, while many different digital distribution platforms exist on PC in competition with one another, this is not the case on consoles. Currently there is no real pricing competition between Sony and Microsoft, meaning that the lower prices we often see on a platform like Steam and its competitors, haven’t arrived on consoles yet. I believe they will, eventually, when one of these console manufacturers realizes that they can make their system enormously attractive by offering cheaper games than the competition, but we’re not there yet.
    One way Microsoft could really take the sting out of this would be to make digital copies of games cheaper than retail from day one. Another would be to allow for free transfers of game codes, or for a lending system similar to Amazon’s Kindle lending (whereby one book at a time can be loaned out to another device.)
    “The bits that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it,” Harrison told Eurogamer. “That’s no different to how discs operate today.”
    But it is different.
    If I lend you my game today I certainly couldn’t play it at the same time as you, but you could play it to your heart’s content without paying and you could keep playing until you give it back to me (or “lose” it.)
    You can do all of this without logging into my account, which is a huge inconvenience for me, since I’d no longer be able to log into it to play my games, or watch Netflix, etc. One purchase for one game that could be played only by one person at a time is what we have already. What Microsoft is describing is something much more costly to consumers.
    Microsoft could easily implement a system of game sharing that prevented people from playing at the same time but didn’t require separate purchases or account sharing. They could do all of this while still requiring better policies out of used game retailers and still not prevent peer-to-peer transactions.
    If Microsoft wants to change the used game landscape to pave the way toward digital distribution, they can do so without implementing hugely anti-consumer practices at the same time. Indeed, they have an opportunity to do digital distribution right. There’s no reason they can’t make buckets of money while still benefiting the consumer.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-the-xbox-one/

Fuck M$ and Xbox one.
    Downloads : 150 || Uploads : 12 || Rep Power : 6435 || Posts : 3,307 || Thanks : 478 || Thanked 4,158 Times in 1,271 Posts

What i have shown you is reality. What you remember... that is the illusion.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sephiroth For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast