360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Modding help (I'm new to this)
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Snowfalke

Modding help (I'm new to this)

Hey I am getting into modding and I read the intro to modding thread and I still don't understand how to do what i want. It told me how to deal with game security and things like that but I want to know how to find the location of a character in a game and change his hair color and add new transformations and things like that.
    So for example if I wanted to change my custom hero's super saiyan hair color in dbz ultimate tenkaichi. how do I find my character and then
    figure out what code it is and then write the new one? Also could someone also tell me how to figure out if it is encrypted or if it has a
    checksum. I am really struggling.

Thanks for the help

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Re: Modding help (I'm new to this)

Unfortunately, Ultimate Tenkaichi does indeed have a hash, so any attempts to mod the save will be fruitless.

That said, let's pretend it didn't have a hash. If you want to locate something that doesn't have a readily available numeric value that's easily translatable into hex (hair color for instance), the first thing you should do is back up your save as is to your computer. After that, make a slight change, and then move that save to your computer as well. Now compare both files and look for any differences. There will always be more than one (usually timestamps or the like), but at least one of those difference will be what you're looking for.

So, say you have black hair in Save 1 (the original backed up save) and you change it to green hair in Save 2 (the new save). One of the many changes that you find will have to be the hair color, the only problem then is testing each offset to see if it's the one you're looking for (that's where the patience comes in). I recommend only changing one thing at a time when comparing saves; if you change hair color -AND- hair style, you'll have an extra difference between saves that's just gonna throw you off. Only look for one thing at a time.

Still, Ultimate Tenkaichi does have a hash, so (again) any attempts to mod the save will fail. I know Mojo exposed the algorithm, but he released his findings as C++ pseudocode, so it probably won't help you. And no amount of manual hex editing will fix this hash, so somebody just telling you how to do it won't work either. You'll have to find Mojo's pseudocode (wherever it might be), get his permission to use it (which he may or may not give), figure out a way to implement it into an actual full source code, and then create your own program, all of this without the help of PackageIO (unless you decide to convert the C++ to either C# or VB).

(I don't think it's possible to change Super Saiyan hair with hex. As far as I know, the game has a single preset for SSJ hair color, and it isn't recorded in the save. Sorry.)
    Downloads : 20 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4518 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 628 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Snowfalke
    So basically there is no way to do it with hxd hex editor and 2 days worth of modding experience. lol
    i saw this vid on youtube and he claimed it was sooo easy so i thought i might take a crack at it. i think this is the right vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raYqQf-0ZfE

also how do you know if it has a encryption or hash or checksum.
    Last edited by Emerald Lance; 06-04-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: double post

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Unfortunately, that sort of thing isn't possible with save editing, even if you could get past the hash. That's an edit to the game file itself, and you'd need a JTAG/RGH console to play it.

As for how to find out if a game uses a hash/check or encryption/compression. If you can find what you're looking for (and know for certain that it's what you're looking for) and change it and it comes up corrupt no matter what you do, it probably has a hash or check somewhere. If the file looks like gibberish and you can't find anything among the sea of complete trash symbols, then it's likely encrypted or compressed.
    Downloads : 20 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4518 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 628 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Snowfalke

ok so let me get this straight..ultimate tenkaichi has a hash which prevents me from finding what i want. say it didn't say it was completely fine no hash checks or encryption. then all i
    have to do is get the game save then go back into the game and change whatever it is i'm trying to find and then compare the 2 files. right also how would i change the hair color if i did
    find it like say i wanted blue would I just put in blue for for the original hair color?
    also why is most of the game save data blank when i put it in hxd editor. like there will be the occasional FFFF and then its back to 0000000000.....is that because of the hash. What is the difference between a hash and a check? sorry for all the questions.

Snowfalke

What games are out (for the 360) that can be save edited for beginners like me :)

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

I don't think you understand. The game file itself has the hair color for Super Saiyans, and it can't be changed. Save modding doesn't work to that extent. What the guy in the video showed was a full game mod, and that only works if you are using a JTAG or RGH console. What you're asking for can't be done through save editing.

The difference between a check and a hash... Well, put simply, a checksum is a type of hash. Sort of like all chickens are birds but not all birds are chickens, all checksums are hashes but not all hashes are checksums. To be more specific, a hash is any method where the file (or a part of the file) is calculated through an algorithm of some sort, and the result of that calculation is placed somewhere within the file (the game will perform the calculation when loading the save, and if the hash doesn't match up then it will be corrupt); a checksum is a simple hash where the length of the file is added up and the sum is used as the hash. For the most part, "checksum" and "hash" are more or less interchangeable in casual conversation (like dollars and bucks, or pounds and quid), but when you're being more specific then it's good to differentiate. In this case, Ultimate Tenkaichi does have a hash, but it isn't a checksum.

As for which games have protection, there isn't really a conclusive list. I know most DBZ games do (ranging from super simple to high grade, UT being closer to the later than the former). Most games that have an online component have some sort of protection or another. The newer and more expensive a game is (and the greater the pedigree of the developers), the more likely it is to have protection. Arcade games tend to be a little easier to mod (as they are less likely to have protection). One easy example is Sonic Adventure (the first one, not the second one), which doesn't have protection (well technically it has a checksum, but it doesn't check anything except the length of the file, so no amount of editing will cause the save to be read as corrupt).

--Gamefaqs.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald Lance For This Useful Post:

Snowfalke

oh ok. thanks for all the answers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast