360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
[Tutorial] How to 12 volt fan mod a Xbox 360's fan (4pin)
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stealth Mods

How to 12 volt fan mod a Xbox 360's fan (4pin)

How to 12 volt fan mod a xbox 360

This is 100% my video. Don't believe me? Ask me to prove it and I will!

Supplies:
    Torx T-10 screwdriver
    30awg or cat-5 ethernet wire
    wire cutters
    wire strippers
    wire connecters
    common sense

Steps:
    Step 1:
    Acquire a xbox 360 with a fan!

Step 2:
    Then take apart the xbox 360 with a TORX T-10 Screwdriver!

Step 3:
    Take out the DVD drive and the fan and you will also need to take out the SATA cable and other cable to the DVD drive!

Step 4:
    Get you Fan and find the brown and red wires (don't touch the blue and black they are just grounds) and snip the red and brown wires about a inch above the plastic connector and strip both ends of the wires!

Step 5:
    Take the two wires that you just cut(brown and red wires) and twist them together and put a wire connector or solder them together!

Step 6:
    Now take your DVD drives sata cable ( the wire with the white connectors) and cut the bottom right wire and strip it (Look at the picture) and then take the two ends and twist them together just like you did with the fan and add a wire connector or solder them together!

Step 7:
    Then get a peice of 30awg wire or cat-5 ethernet wire and strip the ends and put one end in the wire connectors on the fan and the othe end of the wire into the wire connector on the sata cable!

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Re: How to 12 volt fan mod a Xbox 360's fan (4pin)

You're stealing it from the dvd drive? I trust you're aware it's been suggested on multiple occassions doing so can screw with the dvd drive in unpleasant ways; Or was that dismissed as crap by some boffin and I've failed to check back in on it?
    Theres alternative 12v points considered by many to be 'clean' right under the power connector.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/RDCX...?sort=3&page=1
    Downloads : 101 || Uploads : 18 || Rep Power : 3320 || Posts : 575 || Thanks : 51 || Thanked 462 Times in 200 Posts

Stealth Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    You're stealing it from the dvd drive? I trust you're aware it's been suggested on multiple occassions doing so can screw with the dvd drive in unpleasant ways; Or was that dismissed as crap by some boffin and I've failed to check back in on it?
    Theres alternative 12v points considered by many to be 'clean' right under the power connector.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/RDCX...?sort=3&page=1
    This is the first time I have heard this. My xbox (the one in the video) has been working great for the past two years that this mod has been done to it. I have had no problems with the dvd drive besides the open tray error but that was only due to the Laser Lens being dirty. A little rubbing alcohol and it was back in working order. Ive also done this to many of my Jtags/Rghs and havent had one complaint about my consoles. The alternative way is safer but this is just a little easier than running alot of wires around your console.

ekardeno

This is how I fan mod my 360, I was told the same thing about it stealing power from the drive and messing it up in the long run, I do it anyway for the fact that it's easy for me to do and that the other 12v point that you have to solder can **** up your power if not done correctly and that's pretty much it for your 360 lol. It's happen to me before and boy was I pissed.

Developer

Array

Sure you can use 12V from Drive connector. I doing this with my little light mod. But fakt is when you use an xkey then its better take your 12V from the right side coz under and behind the Drive you have not really many space for cabel etc. Maybe I post later a pic from this 12V drive connector.

Array

safest place is as said under the power supply

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWRConnector.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	12454

the reason people mess this up is due to the soldering iron been to hot and it melts the contacts

here's how I did mine 5 years later its still going

Last edited by Draven_XHP_ST; 06-19-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Stealth Mods

Yes, but you also have added two fans. Therefore requiring more direct power. Id say if you hooked all three of those fans up to the sata cable then I'm 100% sure it would have some type of effect on the Dvd Drive or something else!

ekardeno

I can't solder to save my life lol, this is why I was glad when I first seen the drive fan mod, I should fan mod mine but I'm too lazy -_-.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast