360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Microsoft Ditches Xbox One DRM!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Haven Donator

Microsoft Ditches Xbox One DRM!

tl;dr version: All forms of DRM for Xbox One have been ditched, including the 24-hour check in timer and all used game restrictions. It is now an offline capable device (Apart from a one-time setup) and you can freely sell/trade your used games..

"Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Genepool For This Useful Post:

Re: Microsoft Ditches Xbox One DRM!

Cool now just make the xbox one $100 cheaper, and also kinect should be optional and include a free game for hurting everyone's feelings lol

★ The Exiled One ★

Twitter: @

Cool, but I'll stick with PS4, Microsoft can't make me like them again.
    Downloads : 70 || Uploads : 4 || Rep Power : 11473 || Posts : 4,685 || Thanks : 1,164 || Thanked 16,590 Times in 1,838 Posts

I agree with Idlehands88, it's too little and too late. I already pre-ordered my PS4 and I still don't want a Kinect. I'll miss you Halo but not that much because I'll be playing Destiny!

Nope, i want their dignity on a plate.
    Admit your fail for my amusement! Grovel, puppets, grovel!
    Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.
    Now when i do finally decide to get one, long after their self respect is sold for crack, i can just import it and it will still be cheaper than buying it here.
    Downloads : 99 || Uploads : 17 || Rep Power : 2900 || Posts : 576 || Thanks : 51 || Thanked 462 Times in 200 Posts

The Immortal God

its good that they are doing this for xbox fans who are getting the xbox one, but i still am not getting a xbox one this year, its just too much money, plus the way ms has been acting has been crap, they could have done this the whole time, and only changed cause they saw how big a backlash they were getting
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 21728 || Posts : 18,759 || Thanks : 4,444 || Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,605 Posts

Retired Staff

Easy said then done they think just cuz they said is off is really off i think they trying this publicity stunt just to get us to preorder there Cablebox One cuz they know the hole they dig is to deep so is to late now my PS4 is already preorder so I'm sticking with Sony why cuz i know they didn't try to screw me form the beginning so nice try Microsoft go screw somebody else cuz i know who u really are now.
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 12759 || Posts : 10,475 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,224 Posts

i heard its also region free now. you can buy a european game and play on the us xbox one. ill import jap games now, so much dating sims i bet

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast