360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Why can't i use the items i mod on the Dark Souls save editor?
Register

Array

Why can't i use the items i mod on the Dark Souls save editor?

Recently decided to give Dark Souls a go and purchased the game, wasn't but 17 bucks anyway.. and i was giddy as fuk! downloaded the editor and modded my save, expecting to have a joyous time, well it was all short lived after i loaded the game up, first thing i noticed was none of the spells i placed could be used, the game simply refused to let me select them, i could see they were there but couldn't even cycle thru them, what a tease! didn't matter anyway cause soon as i rested at a bonfire the numbers reset.. next thing i knew my fukin stamina reset! wth man??? only thing that seemed to half ass work was the health i modded.. why can't i use any spell i modded??? why did my stamina revert back to nearly nothing??? i know the editor works cause everyone uses it! what am i doing wrong??? can somebody help me with this??? PLEASE?

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Re: Why can't i use the items i mod on the Dark Souls save editor?

All spells require that you have the proper magical weapon equipped to use them: for sorcery you have to have a catalyst; for miracles you need a charm; for pyromancy you need the pyromancy flame. These are weapons, and so you have to decide between a melee weapon (sword, axe, spear), a ranged weapon (bow, crossbow), shield, or spell weapon (catalyst, charm, flame). If I had to guess as to why you can't use spells, it would be that you might not have known that (seeing as you're a beginning player). If you do indeed know all of this and are doing it correctly and STILL can't use your modded spells, then I wouldn't know, as it always worked for me (I think there was only one spell that I couldn't mod, and it was Logan's Crystal Dragon spell, which is nothing compared to homing crystals anyway). It might also have to do with your skill level. but I really couldn't say.

As for your stats, the game can be picky sometimes about stats. If I remember correctly, you need to mod your level to be high enough for those stats to legitimately exist in the first place, though I could be totally off my mark. One positive way to make absolute sure that your stats stick is to mod your souls instead of the stats themselves, then just level up normally (keep modding souls as needed).

For the best answer on these issues, ask the developer of the editor you used.
    Downloads : 20 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4520 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 628 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald Lance For This Useful Post:

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Lance View Post
    All spells require that you have the proper magical weapon equipped to use them: for sorcery you have to have a catalyst; for miracles you need a charm; for pyromancy you need the pyromancy flame. These are weapons, and so you have to decide between a melee weapon (sword, axe, spear), a ranged weapon (bow, crossbow), shield, or spell weapon (catalyst, charm, flame). If I had to guess as to why you can't use spells, it would be that you might not have known that (seeing as you're a beginning player). If you do indeed know all of this and are doing it correctly and STILL can't use your modded spells, then I wouldn't know, as it always worked for me (I think there was only one spell that I couldn't mod, and it was Logan's Crystal Dragon spell, which is nothing compared to homing crystals anyway). It might also have to do with your skill level. but I really couldn't say.

As for your stats, the game can be picky sometimes about stats. If I remember correctly, you need to mod your level to be high enough for those stats to legitimately exist in the first place, though I could be totally off my mark. One positive way to make absolute sure that your stats stick is to mod your souls instead of the stats themselves, then just level up normally (keep modding souls as needed).

For the best answer on these issues, ask the developer of the editor you used.
    catylist? wth is that? you need an item just to use a spell? wow... i'm way confused now, this game is WAYYY different than Skyrim isn't it? didn't realize it was that deep.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTsung View Post
    catylist? wth is that? you need an item just to use a spell? wow... i'm way confused now, this game is WAYYY different than Skyrim isn't it? didn't realize it was that deep.
    You will get the items to cast spells as you progress. Or just add them using the editor. I used this website http://darksouls.wikidot.com/ when I first started to help me along. Yes the game is nothing like Skyrim. Dark Souls is more about patience and strategy then say brute force and powerful magic. Those things help but if you die doing something and then do it again the exact same way you will continue dying. This game is meant to punish your mistakes and make you correct them.

JENGA MASTER SUPREME
    Emerald Lance

Array

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTsung View Post
    Yeah, it's really different. A catalyst is, for all intents and purposes, a staff. The way it works in-universe is that everybody has soul power, but that power can't be brought out and used as a spell without the proper tools; even if a person knows in their mind how to use a spell, they still need the proper magic tool to act as a conduit between their soul and the world around them. Each school of soul magic uses a different type of magic tool: sorcery (sometimes called "crystal magic") uses a catalyst, which looks like a staff; miracles need charms, which look like rosaries; pyromancies require the pyromancy flame to cast, which is a literal fire that you hold in your hand. Basically, sorceries tend to be blue, miracles white, and pyromancies red; sorceries deal high raw damage, miracles heal, and pyromancies do fire damage.

The need to use magic tools in order to cast spells is in place so that magic is difficult to cast effectively (and thus can't be abused, as there are some really powerful spells in there). The game was made so that players are more or less forced into a specific style of play; unless you're going for an all-out mage build, magic of any kind is more trouble to cast than it's worth (and even then, you can't mix and match different spell schools in combat, so you need to decide before a fight which of the three schools you're going in with). It's the same with any other build (you can forget about using a great sword unless you're going with a strength build, for instance).

Dark Souls is really different from most action games today (for instance Skyrim) in that you can't just whip out your entire arsenal at any given time. You might have some really powerful items or spells at your disposal, but even powerful attack methods can fall short if the situation is stacked against them. It also takes time to move through your inventory and grab a certain item or spell on the fly, since everything happens in real-time and you will be attacked by an enemy while looking through your gear. It's exactly as Morbidone says: most games you can level up and power through an enemy or a group of enemies, but with Dark Souls you can't, you have to figure out how you're going to get through them, and if you fail then you need to try a different method (as the method that failed in the first place will continue to fail every time).

A lot of people don't like it because it's yet another play restriction in a game that's already full of them. Others love it because it forces the player to actually think hard about their strategy instead of just rushing in, allowing for a much deeper experience and a more rewarding victory. From Software is famous for their love-it-or-hate-it development style, and Dark Souls is definitely one of those games.
    Downloads : 20 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4520 || Posts : 1,834 || Thanks : 436 || Thanked 628 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanPrince302, commenting on how to become a Super Saiyan,
    "I know where these guys are going, but in all seriousness, just trying to imagine loved ones being killed almost never works. Be a man and travel into space and shoot at asteroids until you get yourself in an actual life threatening situation."
    --Gamefaqs.com

Array

any good tutorials out there to give me a general idea on how to get started?

Array

Check out the site I linked before. Not a tutorial so to speak but it has alot of good info about quest, items, armors, etc. At least I think it does.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to morbidone76 For This Useful Post: