360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
[News] Oddworld New n Tasty to cost around $30
    News Reporter

Oddworld New n Tasty to cost around $30

Name:  oddworld.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  66.8 KB

Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has been speaking to Eurogamer about his studio's forthcoming titles, and has stated that the forthcoming remake of the original game Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty will be one of the most expensive download-only releases on the Wii U eShop.

Lanning has said that he expects to charge around $30 (approximately 18 / 21 Euros) for the game, which he says cost around $5 million to develop $2 million of his own cash and around $3 million spent previously on assets which have been touched up.

That might sound like a lot, but Lanning is adamant that it represents value for money:

This game will play better, look better, and you'll have more fun with for more hours of play than games you're paying $60 for. That's a promise. And I can say that with absolute confidence. If this had a publisher, the price would be higher and they'd be calling in triple A.

Lanning also revealed that New 'n' Tasty needs to sell 250,000 units to fund the studio's next project, a remake of Abe's Exoddus. If the game shifts 500,000 units, then an all-new instalment in the franchise The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot will be put into production. The game is currently on hold, as Lanning feels that it's not worth pursuing without the proper budget in place:

I don't think it's anything less than a $5 million title. So to Kickstart it I think would be a little deceptive and a risk. But if we sell half a million copies [of New 'n' Tasty], that's not going to be a problem.

If I'm doing a new Oddworld game, I'm not going to do it for $2 million. I might do it for five or six. People keep asking me, 'Why don't you Kickstart Oddworld? You could get at least $1 or $2 million.' And I'm like 'What would I do with a couple million on Kickstarter? On a new Oddworld title?' Not much. I could redo Exoddus for a couple million. I could do that. But a new title, which means new characters doing new things and controls that are great - that's where the real time and expenses come from.

If you already have the game and you're just doing a conversion, it's easier. From scratch, I don't think we could do an Oddworld title for a couple million dollars.

Hitting his target shouldn't be an issue the digital release of Stranger's Wrath HD (another title in the series which is due to hit the Wii U eShop in the near future) sold more copies than the original retail version on the Xbox.

Is New 'n' Tasty a game you're looking forward to personally? Do you think the price being suggested is too high for a download-only game and a remake at that? Would you like to see more Oddworld games come to the Wii U?

Downloads : 26 || Uploads : 10 || Rep Power : 4582 || Posts : 2,321 || Thanks : 269 || Thanked 614 Times in 419 Posts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to longy999 For This Useful Post:

Retired Staff

Twitter: @

Re: Oddworld New n Tasty to cost around $30

For a remake n download only game that price is to high they better fix it or the only ones who's gonna buy it will be them selfs lol :D
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 12762 || Posts : 10,475 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,224 Posts

The Immortal God

Twitter: @

nice news share longy :)
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 21731 || Posts : 18,759 || Thanks : 4,444 || Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,605 Posts

Saint Warrior

Good shared longy999
    Downloads : 38 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 5300 || Posts : 3,326 || Thanks : 413 || Thanked 437 Times in 390 Posts

Eternal Dragoon

very nice game but indeed the price is high
    Downloads : 57 || Uploads : 1 || Rep Power : 15646 || Posts : 13,032 || Thanks : 3,661 || Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,446 Posts

Advanced Member

i even would pay 60 bucks if just come out for xbox360 , one of my fav games ever :(