360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Getting Into PC Gaming
Register
    Array
    Twitter: @

Getting Into PC Gaming

Hey guys, what's up? I decided I was going to get rid of consoles all together, and buy the best gaming PC I could get for around $600. But the thing is, I've only ever been a console gamer, so I'm a noob. I need some tips from you pro PC gamers out there, I'm not looking for some crazy setup, just something that works and won't kill my wallet for around $600. But me being new, I'm not familiar with anything PC gaming related at all, so I have a few questions.
    1. Steam? Is Steam like Xbox Live, except for PC's? Is this needed to play PC games? What is this exactly? I'm sorry, I'm a noob.
    2. I hate the keyboard and mouse combo because I'm coming over from a console, I know that I can buy gaming pads and gaming controllers for the PC, how well do these work?
    3. And finally, the games. I'm always hearing awsome things about Steam sales this and Steam sales that, so is it better to download them off of Steam or buy a hard copy from Wal-Mart or Gamestop or whatever?
    I'm sorry guys, I must sound like a rambling idiot, but I'm new to all of these, please help me understand a little more about PC gaming and help a noob out, since I'm getting rid of my consoles for a good gaming PC (Or one that gets the job done, doesn't have to be pretty)

Downloads : 11 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 2401 || Posts : 119 || Thanks : 17 || Thanked 129 Times in 19 Posts

Music, Anime, Coffee

Retired Staff

Array
    Twitter: @

Re: Getting Into PC Gaming

I'll buy your consoles hit me up :D
    Downloads : 47 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 13177 || Posts : 10,475 || Thanks : 3,231 || Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,224 Posts

Developer
    matthewjohn

Array

well steam is like xbox live yes but u can pretty much download any game for pc for free if u know where to go and u can use a xbox 360 controller on a pc so u dont have to use a key bord or mouse :)

Soloblade

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritReaper21 View Post
    Hey guys, what's up? I decided I was going to get rid of consoles all together, and buy the best gaming PC I could get for around $600. But the thing is, I've only ever been a console gamer, so I'm a noob. I need some tips from you pro PC gamers out there, I'm not looking for some crazy setup, just something that works and won't kill my wallet for around $600. But me being new, I'm not familiar with anything PC gaming related at all, so I have a few questions.
    1. Steam? Is Steam like Xbox Live, except for PC's? Is this needed to play PC games? What is this exactly? I'm sorry, I'm a noob.
    2. I hate the keyboard and mouse combo because I'm coming over from a console, I know that I can buy gaming pads and gaming controllers for the PC, how well do these work?
    3. And finally, the games. I'm always hearing awsome things about Steam sales this and Steam sales that, so is it better to download them off of Steam or buy a hard copy from Wal-Mart or Gamestop or whatever?
    I'm sorry guys, I must sound like a rambling idiot, but I'm new to all of these, please help me understand a little more about PC gaming and help a noob out, since I'm getting rid of my consoles for a good gaming PC (Or one that gets the job done, doesn't have to be pretty)
    It is like Xbox live yeah like the guy/gal person said above me but IMO it is better to get the games off steam the deals are worth it, last time i was on there they were selling GTA4 the complete edition for like 8 Dollars or around that price and the 3D universe GTA trilogy for 7, and don't fret most modern games support a Xbox controller and the buttons are mapped the same as on the 360 just plug it in let it install the drivers for the control and your game should pick it up.

And yes there are places you can go to get em but um yeah...

Dead
    SatsuinoHado

Array

CPU - AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card - Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card
    Case - NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power supply - Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/alanhenry/saved/1x6N

You can use an xbox controller for your PC games, but make sure it's wired and not wireless otherwise you will need to spend more money on a wireless receiver and games on steam are very cheap and have great deals, but I only pay for games if they have a multiplayer I am interested in otherwise I will just pirate games

Array

yes steam is totally worth it and they are always adding new games. and most of them have controller support. and for a 360 controller use a wired 360 controller with your pc unless you have a bluetooth dongle to pick up the signal from a wireless one
    Downloads : 11 || Uploads : 3 || Rep Power : 2932 || Posts : 1,525 || Thanks : 533 || Thanked 106 Times in 100 Posts