Will make updating easier in future
The Xbox One's next system update will make it easier to download and install future system updates, according to an IGN report. It'll also allow you to automatically redeem any license codes you're sent, rather than copy-pasting them over. Exhilarating stuff.
The update's headline features include Blu-ray 50 Hz video output support, improvements to the friends system, and an audio mixer for in-game Kinect chat.The update will also, seemingly, introduce the OneGuide to markets outside the US, and use a SmartGlass-capable device as a universal remote. Here's a list of today's new bits, courtesy of IGN.
- OneGuide expansion in new markets. Participants in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy will begin to explore additional live TV features, including TV listings in OneGuide and using voice to change the channel directly from any activity in Xbox One.
- OneGuide and Universal Remote Control in SmartGlass. SmartGlass will become the ultimate remote control for your living room bringing all the features of OneGuide - TV listings, Favorites, and App Channels - to user's tablets and smartphones making it easier than ever to watch their favorite TV shows and movies from their cable of satellite services or from Apps. Additionally, SmartGlass will have a Universal Remote Control that enables users to control their cable or satellite box directly from SmartGlass, including setting new recordings and watching recorded shows on their DVR. OneGuide and Universal Remote Control in SmartGlass will be available to preview participants in US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, and Italy.
- Silent system update installation: Initial OS changes are present that enable consoles to take a system update overnight when in standby, and the console will now complete the installation, then boot back into standby. This feature will bypass the green installation progress bar currently seen when starting a console that needs to finish installing an update started in standby. This feature will already work with some consoles in this update.
- Manually install available updates. If a new system update is detected as available, a button will appear under system settings that will display "Apply Available System Update." Note: this feature is being enabled after this current update completes installation. This feature will be available to preview when the next update is made available.
- A new ability to automatically redeem a license code from console messages. For future console messages that include a 5x5 license code, a new option will appear to allow you to automatically redeem the license, versus having to copy and paste the license code.