Coming to the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain
Microsoft has announced that it will release a USB-powered HD TV tuner for the Xbox One, providing an alternative to plugging in an external set-top box through the console's HDMI in to watch terrestrial broadcasts. At this stage the tuner is only coming to the UK and parts of Europe from October onward, and will cost £24.99 or €29.99.
According to the Xbox Wire, you'll also be able to use your voice to browse OneGuide, thus giving you legitimate reason to yell at the TV. However, your Xbox One may not change the channel when you yell at the screen "Oh don't be so stupid!" as you rage at your most loved/hated show.
As for legitimate functionalities, you'll be able to pause live TV, snap the function to the side of the screen if you really feel like watching a show while playing a game or using Skype, and program in favourite channels in the OneGuide, scheduling upcoming programs. The OneGuide will also be available for use on your SmartGlass app.
There's no word yet when the rest of Europe, the US and Australia will see the TV tuner in their territories, but we'll be sure to give it a go when we can get our hands on one.
Update - Here's a full list of Xbox One TV tuner features. The voice commands obviously require Kinect.
- Watch HD TV on Xbox One: With the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you can watch free-to-air DVB-T, DVB-T2 and DVB-C television channels without changing TV inputs. You can receive game invitations and notifications while watching TV and even watch TV while you wait for a multiplayer match to start.
- TV Viewing in Snap Mode: You can watch TV using the Snap mode, watching TV on the side and leaving the main screen for games, Skype, or other applications.
- Pause Live TV: Pause your favorite show when you get up to take a break.
- TV Listings in the OneGuide: TV listings will be available in the OneGuide. From anywhere, say "Xbox show guide, what's on BBC One?" to quickly navigate directly to that channel's listings*.
- Favourite Channels in the OneGuide: Create your own personal Favourites in the OneGuide so you can easily choose what you want to watch.
- Channel Tuning by Voice: The OneGuide allows you to call out your favourite TV channel by name and start watching it instantly*.
- The OneGuide on Xbox SmartGlass: Now you have access to the full OneGuide on the new Xbox SmartGlass app with the ability to tune channels on your TV.
- TV On Demand: TV listings in the OneGuide will indicate which shows are available on demand from video apps.