Molyneux admits Fable 3 wasn't 'all he dreamed it would be'
Register
    VIP Member

Array

Molyneux admits Fable 3 wasn't 'all he dreamed it would be'

Name:  fabley3.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  45.4 KB
    Young people may choose to rely on new-fangled methods like websites and E3 press conferences for the announcement of new Fable games, but we're far too rooted in tradition for that.
    No, we learn about the existence of a new Fable game by hearing Peter Molyneux admit there were problems with the last Fable game, the way our grandfathers did it.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Molyneux admitted the game wasn't "all he dreamed it would be" saying, "It's hard to be completely honest without offending people; but I know, when I read in the middle of a review [of Fable 3] that said the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

Now, that's the headline of course, and the reason you're reading this post in the first place, but you owe it to yourself to read Molyneux's explanation. He manages to get across why Fable 3 didn't meet its full potential (not enough time, primarily) without excusing the game's failings.

Oh Peter, you always know the perfect thing to say to win us over. ... Unless you're saying, "Hey, our game is done, let's sell it to people." Other than that, though, perfect.
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4262 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 561 Times in 316 Posts

BritBong

Array

Re: Molyneux admits Fable 3 wasn't 'all he dreamed it would be'

...and not a single gasp was given.

This is like the time he claimed fable 1 wasnt all he dreamed it would be because of the hardware limitations and the like, stuff like how the trees actually grew and aged as time went on (they had the code and it worked but it took up much needed cpu cycles), funny then how it wasn't present on the newer games on systems which based on the original criticisms, could support it twice over and throw in a sapling planting minigame to boot, hell it was on pc, a device that is on the frontline of technological advancement, soon enough the original xbox will probably be emulated with reasonable playability, i remember the first attempts were just to damn slow and crappy, ah, progress.

I suppose a fable 1 remake (needz moar updated goodness) is to much to ask, it would likely be updated with the wrong stuff from the new ones (the combat, the magic, the plot), hell i'd enjoy a black & white remake but that will probably absorb the wrong stuff. The Journey won't even get a raised eyebrow from me.
    Maybe i should head down to surrey and stare into the studio in disappointment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 8Ball For This Useful Post:

The Immortal God
    Rpg_Fan

Array
    Twitter: @

At least he is admitting it wasnt as good as it could be, maybe that means there is still hope for fable the journey
    Downloads : 157 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 21774 || Posts : 18,759 || Thanks : 4,444 || Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,605 Posts

VIP Member

Array

the bad thing is he knew it at the time and didnt want to admit it. why not just spend another year on the game and he could have had everything he wanted. instead he was tired of working on it and therefore needs to leave the industry because thats his mind telling him ive had enough and this isnt fun anymore.
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4262 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 561 Times in 316 Posts

nnaatteedd

Quick synopsis of all Fable games:
    (Fans and Critics) Well, it's ok, but it's not THAT good.
    (Peter Molyneux) Everyone, I'm sorry that the game's not that good, we'll do better next game.
    Repeat x 3, lol.
    Really though, I've played them all and have been more dissapointed in what was promised and pulled from the game than the game itself.

eviljasonn

Doesn't surprise me. Most games these days don't live up to the hype. But atleast he's saying sorry. But I'd rather wait longer for a better game then send 60 bucks and get a sorry.

You, Kakarot!
    OriginalBoss

Array

I actually like fable 3 and if they are making fable 4 then i will look forward to it

Haven Donator

Array

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    This is like the time he claimed fable 1 wasnt all he dreamed it would be because of the hardware limitations and the like, stuff like how the trees actually grew and aged as time went on (they had the code and it worked but it took up much needed cpu cycles), funny then how it wasn't present on the newer games on systems which based on the original criticisms, could support it twice over and throw in a sapling planting minigame to boot,

I suppose a fable 1 remake (needz moar updated goodness) is to much to ask, it would likely be updated with the wrong stuff from the new ones (the combat, the magic, the plot), hell i'd enjoy a black & white remake but that will probably absorb the wrong stuff. The Journey won't even get a raised eyebrow from me.
    Maybe i should head down to surrey and stare into the studio in disappointment.
    I'd love to see a reboot of F1 but like you said they would probably fuck up the good shit (DON'T TOUCH MY ASSASSIN'S RUSH :P). Shit if he was to rebuild it with all he dreamed of using all the latest technological advancements of today plus some, I could imagine the market would go crazy for it. Even if it was to powerful for a console to handle comfortably and only playable on PC at least he can say "I am Proud that I built the game of my dreams".

I'm probably looking at this from too much of a fan of Fable series but hey a man can dream:)

Though on topic of Fable 3, even as a fan I felt it lacking a lot of what made Fable enjoyable, some cool concepts that just didn't feel finely tuned that and too much fucking cut (mainly in Magic).
    Though at least he sort of apolgized... again:P
    Downloads : 8 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 2905 || Posts : 714 || Thanks : 107 || Thanked 78 Times in 52 Posts