Register
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member

Array

Rumor: Xbox 360 Games Could Run On Windows 8 PCs

Name:  controller610.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  42.3 KB
    You see that big "Rumor" tag in the headline.
    Good; keep that in mind as you read this story, because this one could be too good to be true. A persistent batch of rumors from the tech world suggest that Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 operating system will allow users to play Xbox 360 games on their computers.

Teknylate reports from an unrevealed source that if you have Windows 8 installed on your PC, you'll be able to pop Xbox 360 discs directly into your computer tower and load them up as though it were a console. Supposedly gamers will also be able to access their Xbox 360 dashboard and Xbox Live services on PC.

The rumor suggests that players will need to pay a fee to unlock this feature on Windows 8, although its unclear if this just means subscribing to Xbox Live Gold or paying on top of that subscription. It's important to remember that this is all rumor and speculation at this point, but various similar rumors have been circulating for several months now.

Microsoft has yet to announce an official release date for Windows 8, but the company is expected to continue unveiling features for the operating system in the next few months. Hopefully that means we'll know one way or another whether this rumor is legitimate soon.

[via Media Mindfield, thanks to alltimelemon for the news tip.]
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4635 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 566 Times in 319 Posts

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jkipp82 For This Useful Post:

nnaatteedd

Re: Rumor: Xbox 360 Games Could Run On Windows 8 PCs

Holy Crap!!! This is one rumor I hope turns out to be true!!! I would totally pay more money to turn my pc into a full functioning 360!!!

Security
    Overlord

Array

well i hope this rumor is true since the 360s are still suffering from the RROD maybe this can migrate people to gaming on their pcs more often

Inactive Member
    Array

I'd easily call it 100% bullshit off the bat, but there are strings related to Xbox 360 error handling in the Windows 8 kernel. Unlikely that it's gonna be released though.

Divided by zero and lived

Array

Would require emulation. Most if not all every day use computers do not have enough power to emulate something like an Xbox 360 game at a playable speed. Its not going to happen, its a rumor and nothing more. Why would Microsoft do that anyway? It would easily allow pirated games, and decrease sales of the 360 by a landslide.
    Downloads : 4 || Uploads : 1 || Rep Power : 3208 || Posts : 388 || Thanks : 52 || Thanked 1,031 Times in 236 Posts

CapAmerica

IF this actually happens I'll actually be willing to go out and buy a copy of Windows 8 on day one.

The graphics card would be easy to over come, just require a 1GB minimum which is pretty common in gaming rigs today and at least 2GB of RAM, The biggest hurtle I see is how much power would it take to emulate a PowerPC chip.

Xbox 1 would be even easier to support since it was mostly off the shelf parts.
    Personally I would love to see Microsoft add Xbox support to all future versions of Windows so I can take my games and play them where every I want. They could do a Game Edition similar to what they did with Media Center Edition with XP :)

Zyrius

Im afraid to say it's already easy enough to pirate games onto the 360- I don't endorse it, but then I also don't endorse video game retailers rushing games out for 60 dollars that have a ridiculous amount of bugs. Heck, I'd buy a rehash of Morrowind, for 60 bucks- It had more than enough content to keep me going for the last 8 years. Update it's visuals and I'd be set. Been my go to game since it came out. I wonder, though. Assuming this rumor is true, will Windows 8 also play traditional Xbox games as well?

Array

Though an interesting idea, I agree with several other posters that this is something from the rumor mill. Microsoft would lose quite a bit of income if this were to happen due to piracy of games and they just can't afford to let that happen. Emulation of an Xbox 360 game, though interesting, would be very difficult even with a decent high speed computer with multiple processors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrius View Post
    Im afraid to say it's already easy enough to pirate games onto the 360- I don't endorse it, but then I also don't endorse video game retailers rushing games out for 60 dollars that have a ridiculous amount of bugs. Heck, I'd buy a rehash of Morrowind, for 60 bucks- It had more than enough content to keep me going for the last 8 years. Update it's visuals and I'd be set. Been my go to game since it came out. I wonder, though. Assuming this rumor is true, will Windows 8 also play traditional Xbox games as well?
    And Zyrius, I could not agree with you more when it comes to games being put out with flaws and bugs. I miss the old days when games were at most about $40.00. I just can't see, no matter what the game, spending over that for a game that will price drop to $40.00 from $60.00 in three to six months. I can wait! lol

aksparky

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast