Gabe Newell on Xbox Live restrictions, hope for Steam
Register
    VIP Member

Array

Gabe Newell on Xbox Live restrictions, hope for Steam

Name:  yunosteamm.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  31.5 KB
    Speaking to Eurogamer, Valve head Gabe Newell offered his thoughts on bringing Steam to Xbox Live.
    The company successfully integrated Steam features into the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 earlier this year, though the Xbox version shipped without any such functionality. According to Newell, the reason lies with the "restrictions" Microsoft places on Xbox Live.

Microsoft has to become "comfortable" enough to allow developers and publishers to implement such features, said Newell, adding that he hopes to see the companies' restrictions "relaxed." Newell made note of the (staggering) amount of free content that has been added to Team Fortress 2 over the years, stating that Microsoft's policies prevent such content on Xbox Live.

PS3 developers are "starting to benefit from Sony's more open approach," said Newell, who hopes this will prove the value of openness to Microsoft, and prove that "the barbarians won't tear down the walls of Xbox and turn it into some chaotic wasteland."

Head over to Eurogamer for more the full interview, in which Newell discusses Valve, talks about the future of Steam and reveals the release date for Half-Life 3. Just kidding about that last one.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...well-interview
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4636 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 566 Times in 319 Posts

CapAmerica

Re: Gabe Newell on Xbox Live restrictions, hope for Steam

I REALLY want Microsoft to open up to Steam.
    I'm most likely one of the few people out there that liked Games for Windows. I liked having my Live account working on both my XBox and PC. And I Love Valve and Steams serves. I wish they would just get along. I would love it if MS and Valve teamed up and made it so my Steam achievement would be part of my Live achievement and I could use my save game between my XBox and PC versions of games.

Maybe the fact that Fable III is coming to Steam is a sign that MS knows they need to embrace Steam and not do things on their own.
    Wish full thinking I know..

VIP Member

Array

Re: Gabe Newell on Xbox Live restrictions, hope for Steam

Fable 3 is already on steam
    Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4636 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 566 Times in 319 Posts