Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Array

Microsoft issues Xbox Live bans for 'Marketplace theft'

Name:  xboxlive62210.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  20.7 KB
    It's not uncommon for Microsoft to unleash the Xbox Live banhammer once every few months.
    Rounds of banning are generally conducted for typical reasons -- piracy, cheating and the like -- but this ban session is a little different. We've received several tips on the matter, and Microsoft has issued a statement on the Xbox.com forums saying that the console bans were the result of Xbox Live Marketplace "theft."

The statement notes that the company "discovered users who illegitimately accessed Xbox LIVE Marketplace downloadable content," adding that "this access was intentional and not accidental, constituting a blatant violation of the Terms of Use for the service."

The company won't provide specifics on the kind of theft that took place, though there are some likely culprits. For example, there are known methods for downloading Xbox Live content for free (that we won't be sharing here) and presumably Microsoft has gotten wise. If you'd like to keep your account intact, then maybe, you know, don't steal.

Downloads : 7 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 4639 || Posts : 1,940 || Thanks : 96 || Thanked 566 Times in 319 Posts

Security
    Overlord

Array

Re: Microsoft issues Xbox Live bans for 'Marketplace theft'

i heard about this and frankly im not to happy about their approach..instead of attacking people who are doing something so minor they really need to hurry up and catch the people who are stealing accounts and selling them on ebay ..i already have 2 people on xbox live who have been flagged i assume for this reason so my word to anybody who reads this just be careful .

Array

I'll assume reaper that you used the wrong word "minor" I'm sure it involves more than live accounts stealers but also the creit card fruad that takes place when you buy the cheap ms point accounts on the web. That isn't something minor.

Demon

Array

I think "minor" refered to using a modded profile to play a game for free, I do agree that compared to credit card fraud it is quite minor, they're going to have to ban a lot of people if they ban everyone who played a game for free using a modded profile, it will most likely be in the hundreds, or maybe thousands. It would suck though, because I did grab a few games to play for a bit, and know quite a few people that also did. I think it could have a bad effect though for MS, if your console is already banned, no reason not to mod it, they may end up losing a lot more money from people that would've otherwise bought games.
    Downloads : 66 || Uploads : 0 || Rep Power : 3141 || Posts : 547 || Thanks : 95 || Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts

stevo9871

Quote Originally Posted by reapermech View Post
    i heard about this and frankly im not to happy about their approach..instead of attacking people who are doing something so minor they really need to hurry up and catch the people who are stealing accounts and selling them on ebay ..i already have 2 people on xbox live who have been flagged i assume for this reason so my word to anybody who reads this just be careful .
    I agree, they should be taking care of the real threat which is people stealing live accounts and ruining peoples bank accounts or credit scores.

Array

I remember one time that on the taiwan marketplace, plants vs zombies was labeled as "free"
    I made a taiwanese account and downloaded the game, wich is working till now
    I wonder if that's considered a theft...

Array

hi to all

the use of the marketplace thief, comes from the use of accounts with 10,000 and 6,000 microsoft ponts with credit card still functional for a week.

You spend what comes in the account, and still can for more points.

* when you download your account, you have the data of those who create.
    Spend it all came from but who do not use the card. After that, change your email and name gametarg. You always have the bills.

The problem is the credit card, which used the account, the card is fake

Array
    Twitter: @

Didn't quite understand what is meant by marketplace thief here. I always purchase my credits through Play-Asia because of two reasons: it is cheaper there and Microsoft won't accept my credit card since my country is not listed in their Live Marketplace. Hope this won't bite me in the end. My credit card is legit and working and I hope Play-Asia is selling legit credits too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast