360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
[PROJECT] Generic Save Editor for easy save editing
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kushan

[PROJECT] Generic Save Editor for easy save editing

Hi Everyone,

I'm just throwing this idea out there to see if there would be any interest in such a project.

Backstory:
    I was playing Code Veronica and needed a save editor. So far, the only one around was from Jappi88 and it was fairly basic. Jappi said he wasn't all that interested in the game, which is why that editor has been more or less left neglected. However, upon request, he was kind enough to send me the source so that I may finish what he started.

Little did I realise that the source was in VB. I probably should have anticipated this, but that's fine - long story short, I hate VB and I'm going to rewrite the thing from scratch in a language of my preference. Jappi's source will still come in handy, though and he sent me blackskillz research, so a big thanks to them both for that.

Anyway, when I build stuff, I like to build it in as open a way as possible. I could knock up a quick editor for RE:CV in a day or two, but I'd much rather do something more beneficial to everyone, in case this happens again - a game is neglected because the people with the skills to make the editor aren't interested enough to make one, even though the people skilled enough with a Hex editor have figured out what to mod and where.

I could knock up a program that loads basic config files (text, probably XML) for save editing. That way, you don't need a whole new program, just an .xml file that ANYONE can cook up with ease, giving you all the usual options. It wouldn't necessarily be very complex, but since most gamesave editors are simple stat modding, it would suffice for most tasks. Anything else and a dedicated editor could still be made.

Here's an example of what the XML file could look like (This is just an example, it's not final as I haven't sat down to work out the best possible format yet):

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <Game>
    	<Name>Resident Evil: Code Veronica</Name>
    	<file name="backupdata.txt"> <!-- Filename inside CON file-->
    		<Edit name="Number of Saves"> <!-- What to display to the user-->
    			<Offset location=0x10, size=0x01/> <!-- This is the important bit-->
    			<Values min=0x00, max=0xFF/> <!-- Some hacks only like certain values and ranges -->
    		</Edit>
    	</file>
    </Game>
    As you can see, it's pretty straightforward and you don't need to be a programmer to figure out what's going on there. It would also encourage more open "research" into save files as they're not always documented very well. The source code to this app would be released as well.

Like I said, at the moment I'm just testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in such a thing. If not, then I won't bother spending time on it. So, what's the word - any interest?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kushan For This Useful Post:

Hoshikage

Array

Re: [PROJECT] Generic Save Editor for easy save editing

It's a great concept, shows you are thinking outside the box. Will it work, I don't know. It sound easy but will most people understand it?
    I will throw out another idea for you.

=== Divide and Conquer ========
    If you can get few people who has the game together:
    You can get 2+ people to look for set of offsets (e.g. 1 person focuses on item another, difficulties etc)
    You can get 1 person to do the coding and design

I don't have the game so I can't help but I am sure there people out there looking to get something done.
    The more people working together the better and faster thing will be done.
    The main problem is usually only one person get all the thanks

===Way Around One Person getting the thanks==========
    if 2 people - 1st post Images and Editor Functions
    2nd post Download link and how to use
    =============================================

Good Luck
    PS: Thread Moved to: Xbox 360 Modding Discussion
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 5870 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,970 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

Kushan

Well, it'll work in the sense that the program will do as it's advertised. That bit is actually quite easy. The hard part is getting people to use it.

Haven Donator
    Array

i had a similar idea to this. The only thing that will be a pain to do are files with moving data. Make sure you allow for reading things sequentially. As in a length value for a string pushes the data for something else further depending on it's length.

Wisdom Sold Seperately

Array

Guess everyone was thinking along the same idea, I made something that could be considered a dumber version of this, it lets you search for something using either an offset, string or a combination of the 2 to find and edit a value, no support for checksums or anything besides straightforward search and modify, can't quite remember how far along i got, was nothing more then a 5 min project, made it for a friend of mine who doesn't know a thing about hex.

Sounds pretty cool though to only need to relase a 'plugin' of sorts instead of coding a new damn app every time (though i really enjoy the gui part...), if you throw in title id recognition and possible auto plugin download you have yourselves a sexytime app.

Kushan

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Guess everyone was thinking along the same idea, I made something that could be considered a dumber version of this, it lets you search for something using either an offset, string or a combination of the 2 to find and edit a value, no support for checksums or anything besides straightforward search and modify, can't quite remember how far along i got, was nothing more then a 5 min project, made it for a friend of mine who doesn't know a thing about hex.

Sounds pretty cool though to only need to relase a 'plugin' of sorts instead of coding a new damn app every time (though i really enjoy the gui part...), if you throw in title id recognition and possible auto plugin download you have yourselves a sexytime app.
    Yeah, it wouldn't actually be difficult to do something like that. Have the XML file put a Title ID in it, then it can automagically load the right one depending on the save file selected. Downloading could be done, too, although there's other logistics to consider there.
    The gritty details of how it handles offsets and strings are easy enough to overcome. I'd probably allow you to specify a regex pattern to look for specific offsets that "move", or calculate offsets depending on other fields and all that good stuff. The only problem is that the more things like that I add, then the more "complicated" it gets and there's a point whereby the complications are more than the complications you get from programming a totally new app.
    In that instance, it'd be easier to just create a base app that people can take and modify to suit their needs.

Another issue is when games have their own special checksums. I can't imagine an easy way to calculate that from an XML file, so it'd probably require loading of external plugins, but that would require someone writing them and releasing them for the app, rather than just using it in their own save editor.

I'm trying to promote a much more open platform for everything, so ideally I'd like people to be willing to contribute to it for the sake of everyone, rather than the "glory" of doing something themselves. The X360 library is a great example - entirely open source and it's found in nearly all of the CONsigners floating around, without it a lot of projects wouldn't exist, or wouldn't resign saves for you.

blackskillz

Nice idea. Want to see it working.

Hoshikage

Array

Why not make a prototype so we can see :D
    Downloads : 69 || Uploads : 22 || Rep Power : 5870 || Posts : 2,733 || Thanks : 557 || Thanked 2,970 Times in 735 Posts

## If you don't Contribute || Help - Why should I Contribute || Help - Leechers Should not be helped ##

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast