360haven works best with JavaScript enabled
Searching for values when Hexing.
Register
    Array

Searching for values when Hexing.

Hey guys, new to hexing, so this is a nooby question. When I'm searching my saves to modify, let's say, my health value of 500. I know I need to find the address of my health, but I'm having some trouble.

I have about 10 save files of my health at different levels, but I still can't seem to find the address. Here's my process:

• Load save 1. Search for health value of save 1
    • Load save 2. Filter for health value of save file 2.
    • Load save 3. Filter for health value of save file 3.
    • Load save 4. ...

I repeat steps 2-4 until I can find my address. But for some reason I've only gotten this working a handful of times. My question is: Is there another method/program that I can use to find my values? What method(s) do you guys use?

Oh yeah. I'm using artmoney to search and filter the files, but I'm getting some kind of I/O error.

Program Engineer
    Jappi88

Array

Re: Searching for values when Hexing.

Quote Originally Posted by darksoulzero View Post
    Hey guys, new to hexing, so this is a nooby question. When I'm searching my saves to modify, let's say, my health value of 500. I know I need to find the address of my health, but I'm having some trouble.

I have about 10 save files of my health at different levels, but I still can't seem to find the address. Here's my process:

• Load save 1. Search for health value of save 1
    • Load save 2. Filter for health value of save file 2.
    • Load save 3. Filter for health value of save file 3.
    • Load save 4. ...

I repeat steps 2-4 until I can find my address. But for some reason I've only gotten this working a handful of times. My question is: Is there another method/program that I can use to find my values? What method(s) do you guys use?

Oh yeah. I'm using artmoney to search and filter the files, but I'm getting some kind of I/O error.
    huh.. so you want to find a specific offset ?!

well... i suggest u use Hexworkshop, and the compare function. it will help a lot.

first you take a save with half health bar, and a second save with full health bar.
    compare the two with hexworkshop, and it will show you the difference between the two files.

then go trought the differences , and look at the changed values.

the value of the first save should be lower as the second save (first save = half healthbar , second save = full healthbar.)

change the higher value in save 2 , or the lower value in save 1 and test it... keep trying till you find it.

some games are harder as another... but the most values used for bars = Float value.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jappi88 For This Useful Post:

Array

Re: Searching for values when Hexing.

Ok, I see, thanks Jappi. The problem is that when I search for my value in the initial save I have, like, over 1000 results. Do people normally sift through over 1000 search results/comparisons? And how can I determine the value type at a potential offset? Does the data inspector column tell me that?

Edit: ok, I think it does.

Next question: How many bytes, usually, does something like a float memory address for a life bar have?

About the float data type, wouldn't a life bar with 500 hp be a 16 bit integer data type?
    Last edited by darksoulzero; 11-16-2011 at 03:13 AM.