PDA

View Full Version : Best 360 cooling mods?

pirknuts
02-07-2011, 02:00 AM
What cooling mods have the best effect? I've read about some cooling mods online, but I want to know what the communities opinion is. My jtag already runs pretty cool, but I want it cooler. My CPU temp is usually 30 and the gpu temp is usually 35 with fan speed at 70%. At 100% CPU is 27 and gpu is 32.

h1n1viruz
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
suggest water cooling if you want it to be cooler

Insane JIC
02-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Don't waste your money in "cooling mods" get the newest console, you'll save money in the long run.

pureIso
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Why dont you just leave your console open?

8Ball
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Water cooling is the all time best thing ever but i have observed leaving the case open with the wind tunnel and fan intact is pretty cool.
If you want to shield your ram chips you can cover them in a thin cutout of fresh, unused blu-tack to cover the 8 chip heads both on top and below the motherboard, this also will repair most RAM-related red ring errors from personal experience.

Another given is the x-clamp fix, this is to be done sooner rather then when it starts going wrong, consider it a factory fault (they included it on the slim, the thing with the central/graphical processing unit freak of nature ffs).

You should also try and use the highest revision of heatsinks avaliable, they tend to be revised for a reason and i have noticed they are a lot better, these can be plucked fresh off a dead box after some cleaning or bought on ebay, i also upgraded the daughterboard but that was simply because i could.

The final solution is to just move to a place with a meat locker and store the console in there during use, if it still dies from heat related destruction i think you are fully inclined to sue.

If you have a fairly big budget for this you could buy a purpose built casing that resembles a pc case (there was an article on xbox-scene a long time ago) and simply pack it with an ungodly amount of fans.

Renegade
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Or...ship it to Alaska, and let it live in the snow for a few weeks, Whenever you want it overheated, Throw it into the core of Earth.

AMIGAKID
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Don't waste your money in "cooling mods" get the newest console, you'll save money in the long run.

He is talking about his JTAG

i wouldnt advise this method lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2hW4He9-Zs&feature=related

This i would recomend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGrOUdIvW4

pirknuts
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all of the responses! Im actually thinking about maybe building my own case for some spare computer parts/cases and some old 360 I have laying around. It will be a fun little project for me to do while the wife is in boot camp.

Insane JIC
02-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all of the responses! Im actually thinking about maybe building my own case for some spare computer parts/cases and some old 360 I have laying around. It will be a fun little project for me to do while the wife is in boot camp.

Oh I didn't know you were talking about your Jtag

pirknuts
02-10-2011, 03:52 AM
It's cool bro! I'm just trying to come up with a project now to pass the time. I made one jtag and posted it in the jtag development forum. Now time to come up with another one.

game0606
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
hopefully we can see pics i love seeing people get creative with 360 mods but to me your 360 is pretty cool mine on 70% fan speed is 42 gpu and cpu is 50 something and at 100 it go down a little im just thinking about placing a better fan in the xbox

pirknuts
02-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Yeah I enjoy coming up with new ideas. Coming up with the ideas actually gives me some opportunity to use my artistic skills. I posted one xbox I made in the jtag development forum. I called it the "butcher".

Caleb Ragnarok
02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a Xenon that has great temps.. CPU never goes about 120 F, GOU never even hits 100 F and the mobo/ram MAY hit 90 F..

Took out the DVD drive and mounted a 1st gen cpu heatsink on the gpu, cut two fan shrouds to go around the new heatsink and then mounted a fan infront of the cpu heatsink...

pirknuts
02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
With my new project I'm going to find our what the best CPU fans on the market are and find the best heatsinks. Then I'm going to have 2 power sources so the 360 doesn't pull to much power and I'm going to see if i can find anything online about making vent systems.