PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Gaiden 3 Gets a 3.0 from IGN

Judd
03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Ninja Gaiden used to be about careful combat for skilled players. Knowing the skill-set inside and out was as important as understanding individual opponents, and digging into the complex mechanics was necessary to succeed. One basic enemy could kill Ryu Hayabusa, and getting him out of each encounter alive was an accomplishment. Ninja Gaiden 3 rejects this identity in an attempt to do something fresh and interesting with its hero.

This is an admirable ambition that's ultimately responsible for many of the sequel's numerous failures. Shallow combat, a misguided narrative focus, and awful pacing cripple what could have been the most interesting entry in the series' history. With Ninja Gaiden 3, Team Ninja displays an obsession with new-found emptiness that anchors the action, betrays fans, and repels newcomers.

Ninja Gaiden 3 video review.

In one of the early encounters, an unarmed enemy begs for his life, takes off his ski mask to show you his face, and talks about providing for his family. The only option is to walk slowly toward the man before cutting him down.

As intended, it's an unsettling scene. Thematically, Ninja Gaiden 3 strives for a dark story that wants to be taken seriously. It positions itself as a contemplative character study and reflection on Ryu's psychological struggle with his monstrous ethics.

In both the grand scheme and moment-to-moment of Ninja Gaiden 3 this aspect falls short of its intended mark.

Right before the credits roll, an ally reassures Ryu he's not a murderer. Hayabusa took 2,110 lives after eight hours according to my stat tally, some of which were more pleading, unarmed men. The questions Ninja Gaiden 3 asks its character throughout its narrative diametrically oppose the events that precede and follow them.

What...is happening?

Ryu has no motivational consistency and there are frequent narrative contradictions that left me with more questions than answers. Didn't she betray me? Why am I fighting a boss again instead of rescuing these people? Didn't I kill him? Oh, another betrayal? Ninja Gaiden's new focus flails while telling a meaningless story that gets in the way.

The prominence of poor storytelling interrupts the slicing and dicing so often that Ninja Gaiden 3 can't keep an enjoyable pace. Ryu's arm is plagued by the blood of his past and present victims, which regularly causes him to slow down and clutch his infected appendage. Why? The arm doesn't play an interesting role during gameplay. Beyond the inconvenience it serves no purpose. It just handicaps your mobility for brief periods, and the A.I. doesn't take advantage of it. If anything, they dial back the aggression.

Coming out of one cinematic and walking a short distance to another is irritating as well. Even if you're not interested in what Ninja Gaiden 3 is trying to say, it's going to tell you. These scripted sequences may mean to add tension or gravity, but the reality is that they get in the way of unleashing violence, which is the real reason anyone plays Ninja Gaiden.

Expect to fight this boss no fewer than three times.

Somewhere along the way, Team Ninja forgot this is what made Ninja Gaiden great. Nothing about Ninja Gaiden 3 is difficult, or even challenging enough to be amusing. Enemies here are harmless. More often than not, the soldiers, ninja, or monsters pop out simply to wait to die. Ninja Gaiden compensates for this with a disarming quantity of guys to kill, which is a cheap cop-out that emphasizes its creative vacancy. Repetition sinks in early, hits hard, and doesn't let up. In addition, the erratic and unreliable targeting means missing marks more often than is acceptable for a franchise revered for precision. In another questionable step backward, Ryu sticks with just one weapon for the entire game.

The most challenging thing about Ninja Gaiden 3 is dealing with its confused camera. It tries to highlight big moments via swooping angles and cool cuts, but it can't keep up with the events. How is the perspective more distracting and disorienting in 2012 than it was in 2004? More importantly, how can something this chaotic be so thoroughly unexciting?

Such archaic design dominates Ninja Gaiden 3. Structurally, it feels more like Dynasty Warriors than anything else. You'll kill a dozen or so identical enemies in a locked arena, wait for the next wave, and do it again. Every so often you'll unleash magic to wipe out everyone on-screen. Once you've killed 20-50 guys, you'll exit the arena, enter another, and fight 20-50 more hostiles.

Boss battles are similarly interminable. Bisecting a Goddess and cutting the arms off a biological experiment could have been climactic finales to otherwise uninteresting, too-similar spectacles. Instead, enemies regenerate lost limbs, repair their bodies, or have armored plates protecting what you thought you destroyed. Worse, Ninja Gaiden recycles bosses frequently. You can expect to fight numerous big-bads repeatedly and to do so in the same predictable fashion you did last time.

These are highly customized characters and they still look really similar.

Getting through five foes used to mean something. Maybe you'd be rewarded with a decapitation for your effort. Now the reward for enduring Ninja Gaiden 3 is, well, more of it.

Team Ninja has too many terrible new ideas that ultimately end up interfering with one another. The throwaway multiplayer mode would have been the one thing worth experiencing if the co-op challenges were even on par with the campaign. Tasks such as "press the attack button repeatedly" or "throw a shuriken" demand even less effort than the single-player. Multiplayer isn't just tacked-on or superfluous, it's also plain bad. The uninspired deathmatch mode is so straightforward, and the character customization is so limited, that there's nothing to keep you coming back.

Not that Ninja Gaiden 3 ever gives anyone a good reason to pay attention in the first place.
CLOSING COMMENTS
Ninja Gaiden 3 is a gash on the face of the franchise and one of the worst games the action genre has yet suffered. It has no consideration for its fans’ wants or what a new audience may have enjoyed. It’s a nightmare that’s as easy as it is uninteresting, and it abandons what used to work for awful new ideas that don’t work together. Under no circumstance should you ever waste your time on this self-indulgent and abysmal wreck.
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3404/untitlasdcsdced.png

More proof that IGN have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

lewyp1
03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
IGN are some of the most bullshit reviewers around in my opinion, the amount of games they have slated and other people thought they were awesome is ridiculous. Plus i've played Ninja Gaiden 3 and thought it was about an 8 /10

Noctis Caelum
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
IGN 2.1 they never rate anything good unless its a wii game lol

8Ball
03-19-2012, 02:35 PM
They're actually right for once, it is pretty awful, i completed it last night, aside from being short as hell it was REALLY boring. The oh my fucking god awesome effects wore off around 10 minutes in and left me with what felt like the most boring combat system i have ever had the misfortune to stumble across, i even started spamming ninpo just to clear the area so i could move on already, a squad of enemies? awesome no problem lets go bitch! 2? emmm ok sure but that last lot took a while. 3? get the fuck out.
And that stupid shit with the arm, you can tell when its going to happen because a 4th wave of enemies approachs, then it goes all cinematic and slow and you just look at and 1 hit kill the remaining enemies.

Absofuckinglutely terrible.
I miss ninja gaiden sigma/black/ican'tbelieveitsnotbutter, now that was a game that was fun AND wanted to assfuck you every second.
I hear the other weapons are on-disc dlc, i was amazed there are other weapons, you get a generic sword that changes every so often but has seemingly no difference besides cosmetics and a bow to blow ranged targets up.

I only keep it on my xbox because i'm mildly fascinated by the ninja trials, while just as bad, that level systems got me hooked (for now)
And the icing on the cake, getting me to kill a man who is unimportant, unarmed and has surrendered, pretty sure ninja don't kill people for shits and giggles. I mad.

Pk89
03-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Im actually enjoying this game .. I disagree with the review

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

CloudStrife7x
03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
i dont care for reviews i just play the game if i feel like it lol

nero
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
i like the game

go to hell Reviewers

aznghostbuster
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
The only opinion that should really matter in the end as a gamer should be yours. Just sayin'... I think I'm gonna like this game and no IGN, X-Play, or some Metacritic bullshit will ever change my view of how good or bad this game or any other games are.

miguslor
03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I agree with ign, except on the 3.0 rating. Game deserves a 6.0 as passable.

badman112
03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Well i know some of you guys actually like this but for me I really hated it, repetitive dodge and button mash all the waay... haay look hordes of enemies in every scene the only positive thing i could say is the bosses and that's about it the rest was just same stuff on the game not even better than first or second one.
Actually i stand corrected the areas when 2 of you fight enemies was okay as well.

angelon
03-20-2012, 10:49 PM
I agree it should get a 6 rating i mean a 3 sounds just unplayable

Judd
03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
I agree it should get a 6 rating i mean a 3 sounds just unplayableYeah if you went by IGN you wouldn't play anything, they game the new Res a 4....

BrayWyatt
03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
and the funny thing is. ign gave gta4 a 10. gta4 was no perfect game. its more like a 7.

vxand
03-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Finished the game today and I am very desapointed.
How could they destroy one of the best series.
Confuse combates mixing Qtes god of war Style, partner speaking all time on tour head, no decaptions, slows
Fire guns everytime.
I dont agree With ign 3 score But i think i know how reviewer thought when proved the game.
Very sad.

XajNyne
03-22-2012, 12:21 AM
and the funny thing is. ign gave gta4 a 10. gta4 was no perfect game. its more like a 7.

Yeah true that. I haven't come across a game yet that I'd give a perfect 10 to. No game is "perfect" but giving a score of 3 is just cruel. Well that's my opinion.

aznghostbuster
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
This is exactly why I've never bothered with IGN, or any other website that does video game reviews. Personally, I couldn't give less of a fuck about what rating IGN gave this game.

Emerald Lance
03-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Big NG fan here, including the NES games. As a fan, I gotta say that NG3 is a complete failure. Normally I can't stand IGN (I'm also a big Sonic fan) but this time I gotta side with them, especially about how it feels more like Dynasty Warriors than anything else. As much as I REALLY didn't like Itagaki, you gotta admit that Team Ninja has been going downhill ever since he left. Let's just hope DOA5 makes up for it.

CloudStrife7x
03-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Big NG fan here, including the NES games. As a fan, I gotta say that NG3 is a complete failure. Normally I can't stand IGN (I'm also a big Sonic fan) but this time I gotta side with them, especially about how it feels more like Dynasty Warriors than anything else. As much as I REALLY didn't like Itagaki, you gotta admit that Team Ninja has been going downhill ever since he left. Let's just hope DOA5 makes up for it.

yup i agree, after i finished the game i was really disappointed in this game as well, just could not believe how much they changed it from NG2, i loved that one and the first one and the NES games as well

poppap
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
what seriously just 3.0

BrayWyatt
04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
only review you should be worried about is your own.

revsix6
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
only review you should be worried about is your own.
Very impressive saying Mr. Sterling. Yes, we all have our own point of view and opinion on how we look at games, either it from; reviewers, trailers, really any media internet online etc. Ninja Gaiden 3 wasn't a bad game to say even though it has it weak points, my opinion of course.

kylefrancis
04-29-2012, 10:49 AM
The Ninja Gaiden series are like the best games out there all the different types of combat and weapons to use. How could IGN rate it so bad they need a good slaping for their failure to understand how great a game Ninja Gaiden 3 is.

Crimi Martin
04-29-2012, 12:16 PM
The Ninja Gaiden series are like the best games out there all the different types of combat and weapons to use. How could IGN rate it so bad they need a good slaping for their failure to understand how great a game Ninja Gaiden 3 is.

It's their opinion what they rate Ninja Gaiden 3. You think it's a great game, I think it's a horrible game compared to the previous versions.
If you think Ninja Gaiden 3 is such a great game, well, then, enjoy your opinion.

london_1904
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
i loved this game it pissed me off at times and really did get annoying like number 2 and number 1 but none the less i still loved it to bits i don't really like the online side of it all games seem to be going that and i just looking at ninja gaiden as a hack and slash not an online game but ign can go to hell XD

ekardreno
05-15-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm just pissed that they took out ALL THE DAMN WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate only using one fucking weapon.

fullmetal172
05-15-2012, 04:42 AM
it was expected

xfinnyx
08-31-2012, 06:33 AM
they stuffed this game

ricky9999
08-31-2012, 07:03 AM
I really dont like NG3 cause they throw every good things from NG series away! the combat now is slower than NG2 and the ninpo work like ultimate weapon! however I still play it with open mind cause the become more cinematic and the story is quite better than last one.
Hope that NG4 will have what it need to bring back Master Ryu we know and love.

ricky9999
08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
i dont care for reviews i just play the game if i feel like it lol
yeah me too :)) dont need to care cause we all have our own feeling! like people love to fight for fifa or PES lol Im fan of PES but still sometime play fifa for some of its awesome features

ps: sorry for double post! my network stuck :|

thegutta
08-31-2012, 08:07 AM
The game was a big disappointment so it was expected to happen eventually lol

hatchels
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Ninja Gaiden 3 was a very bad game. Not terrible, but the story was lifeless, and the combat was shallow as hell. I literally went through the entire first section doing nothing but hitting the "X" button, and then walking to the next group. Rinse and repeat. Plus the cheap QTE-esque sections (i.e. climbing a broken ladder using kunai for handles) made it frustrating as hell. I bought this on release expecting to get my balls smashed in with a rusted spiky mallet covered in piranhas that have been deprived of food for a week, but it ended up being more of a gentle tap to the sack.

This game doesn't deserve a 3.0, but I wouldn't go any higher than 4.5 or 5.0/10

It's playable, but only by a gnat hair.

mysticgage
12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
if they make it easy to control ryu better make using your magic quick that will be cool

Squall
12-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I played Ninja Gaiden from the first.. and without a shadow of a doubt 3 was by far one of the worst games I've played, period. There was no Excitement, no "OMG WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING TRYING TO CHEW ME UP" no new weapons or anything, It definitely disgraced the Ninja Gaiden's before it and hopefully team ninja will fire who ever wrote the plot for it. sorry guys but i think a 3/10 is very very generous

Righteous
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Definitely agree. I'm a NG fan from waaay back. And this 1 jsut wasnt done right..

SiN
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I haven't played a bad Ninja Gaiden yet..and I've been playing them since Nintendo days... This is the only one I haven't had time to pick up yet to play..been sooooo busy playing other games at the moment and working.... Errr

jayhov
02-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Yea this game didnt even compare go NG2 nor NG1 so i understand why it only got 3.0

Swiftus
02-26-2013, 06:14 AM
IGN's idea of a review is "If it ain't CoD it ain't worth playing"

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Mathayus
05-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Ninja Gaiden 2 was one of my favourites games when it comes out, but NG3 is a really bad game. Loosed time.