PDA

View Full Version : America Say Goodbye To The 360?

lonelyhero
05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
found this on dashhacks a few minutes ago

Say Goodbye To The 360?
Submitted by UnashamedVandal; Today!

If you haven’t heard yet, Microsoft and Motorola have been going toe to toe in court and so far it has resulted in no further sales of the Xbox 360 in Germany. Now things aren't looking so good for the rest of us either...Since then, the case has taken a turn for the worse and Microsoft could be facing harsher punishment. Let’s take a quick recap. Motorola took Microsoft to court; surely you couldn’t imagine that going any other way but in Microsoft’s favour...well apparently not. Motorola’s claim that Microsoft breached their patents regarding secure wireless communication and transmission of video content between controller devices and game consoles paid off. Microsoft lost the first battle in the war with Motorola and their Xbox 360 and Windows 7 had to cease sales within Germany. Well now the war has headed to the USA and Microsoft could risk losing their biggest money maker. The judge in charge of the case has no sympathy for the gaming giants and suggested that not only must the console cease all sales; not only this but Microsoft must stop importing their console into the United States. If the case continues in favour of Motorola we could be saying goodbye to the Xbox 360 forever!

Serious_M
05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
hope it won,t comes to that , it would be sad

CloudStrife7x
05-26-2012, 09:12 PM
well if it does happen it will suck, luckily i have my 360 already lol

thegutta
05-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Shit is getting real for Microsoft they better put on there big boy sucks on n go out there n start fighting cuz if the happens here in America there biggest market you can kiss the xbox goodbye.

Renegade
05-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Microsoft are too proud to let this happen. BUT if it does happen the the US. The UK will be next.

XajNyne
05-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Oh well all good things come to an end eventually. If it did/does happen then sad as it may be, my busy life these days doesn't revolve enough around gaming that I'd suffer any great emotional effect over it lol! It would be sad for future generations of gamers though.

Emerald Lance
05-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Yeah. Making it so that Microsoft's biggest products can't be sold in their home country is gonna be a crippling blow. Motorola will win this one, and the prices of new consoles on site like eBay will skyrocket. And Ren's right, once they're done with the biggest money pot, they're gonna move to the next biggest: UK. I don't know what the laws concerning copyright are in UK, but in US Microsoft doesn't stand a chance.

And all this would go down right as my current console starts dying. I'm running an unmodded launch console, the only change I've made is to take it apart to clean. And now I'm starting to get read errors and RRODs. I don't have the money to spend on another console right now, and I probably won't until (as luck would have it) MS is banned from selling them in US. Thanks a lot, Motorola.

voidmage09
05-27-2012, 01:30 AM
if they did do it 360 i bet u they rename it to something else

arcona17
05-27-2012, 02:18 AM
I guess I need to buy a couple more XBox consoles, just in case...been eye'ing that R2-D2 console. Yeah, I think I will do that.

lonelyhero
05-27-2012, 03:02 AM
i have a horrible feeling if this goes through and ive got a feeling it will microsoft may pull out of the console race all together i seriously hope they dont but with tis looming ahead theyve gotta be panicing

xSaiintx
05-27-2012, 04:00 AM
This is FREAKING awesome news...I really love the huge battle between these two shitty companies

Emerald Lance
05-27-2012, 05:09 AM
i have a horrible feeling if this goes through and ive got a feeling it will microsoft may pull out of the console race all together i seriously hope they dont but with tis looming ahead theyve gotta be panicing
They very well could. Bob Chipman was one of the first to mention that neither Microsoft nor Sony are video game companies, but rather large multinational corporate empires with relatively small video game divisions, and that he foresees them pulling the plug on their respective divisions (and I quote) "the minute they become prohibitively unprofitable". If these court cases mean that MS can't make their next console, then they'll simply pull out.

Then it will be Nintendo versus Sony, with Nintendo completely dominating the market (current gen Wii has sold more than 95 million units worldwide to date while MS and Sony are stuck at just under 66 and 64 million respectively). And Sony's got bad blood with Nintendo, so leaving them alone together just doesn't seem like a good idea for the industry.

In reality though, I can't predict the future. Who knows what's really going to happen.

revsix6
05-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Well now, that is interesting news. Well, whatever happen, happen.

tukiya
05-27-2012, 07:23 AM
whats next? zombies?

NormG27
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
People forget this patent battle is not just over technologies used in the 360 but also windows 7. This meaning they will fight long and hard to prevent that. If it was just the console, then I could see them maybe pulling the plug, but every year the revenue from micro transactions and license deals is netting them more and more money. Another fact to consider, is that the US courts have ways of stalling and prolonging these types of things. This tactic will result in Microsoft having enough time to release the next console (or at least have it right around the corner), and also Windows 8. It is easy to remap and change things during development to not infringe on Motorola's patents, then it is to fix it on already established products.

Emerald Lance
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
That's true. I did forget about Windows7. That's a good point. Since Windows is Microsoft's biggest product (and in Microsoft's home country) then they will fight harder than if it were just the 360 on the line. Thanks for that one, Norm.