PDA

View Full Version : Here’s Why Silent Hill HD was Terrible

BrayWyatt
05-29-2012, 12:50 AM
www.ps3.qj.net

When we first learned of the plan to take the old Silent Hill games and give them a digital makeover, we were, to say the least, amped. The thought of re-living some of our favorites scares in an updated, more attractive package was simply too exciting to bear. Of course, the whole thing came crashing down when the title actually came out.

Silent Hill HD: Collection was packed with terrible graphics bugs, horrible presentation elements and enough game-crippling garbage to land it a strong 3.3 user score on Metacritic. In fact, the only positives in most of the official reviews of the collection were related to the source material—not the much-hyped HD upgrade.

As it turns out, it may not be the developer’s fault that the HD collection was such a mess. Tom Hulett, series producer for the franchise, has gone on the record as claiming that the game code provided to his HD team by Konami wasn’t code for the finished games. Hulett notes that because the code received wasn’t from the release versions of the Silent Hill games, it was packed with unexpected bugs and glitches.

Not only did the team have to work out the “porting” bugs and HD upgrades, it also had to repair dozens of other bugs fixed by the original release teams during the actual development of the games.

“A lot of assets such as textures and sound had to be taken out of the compiled game, and that brings with it a host of unique issues, especially taken on top of the tricky coding workarounds at play in the original games. We certainly had our hands full. I think at one point Heather was blue.”

So let that be a lesson to all of you future game developers: Always save your source code.

CloudStrife7x
05-29-2012, 12:53 AM
well i never really like Silent hills games lol, but a interesting read, nice share Sterling :)

BrayWyatt
05-29-2012, 01:01 AM
im the same with you. ive played them. i just couldnt get into them. im more into resident evil. just not the new one. that one was total garbage.

revsix6
05-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Excellent share, Mr. Sterling. It was okay, but I still loved to play it again. Even with all it bad little critic it received.*Looks at Sonic the Hedgehog 2006*

tukiya
05-29-2012, 01:19 AM
im the same with you. ive played them. i just couldnt get into them. im more into resident evil. just not the new one. that one was total garbage.
an abomination!

RK1ll3r187
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I love the silent Hill series. They are really scarey. Each game tells a different story. It gives different views of the history of the town and it's people. Granted that graphics could have been better but it was made before all of this HD junk. No video game has ever been perfect. no matter how much we want it to be. cuz someone else will say it's bad. I'm still hoping one of my favorite PS2 games would make it to the XBOX 360. The Suffering. Either way....mistakes happen.