PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Got RROD or E74 Error Xbox lying around? Try this out instead of selling that xbox!

idrivefast999
10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
I didn't see any posts on this here but this is a great fix for older Xbox's with overheating issues which usually prompts the 3 Red Lights or E74 error. There is a great kit made by Team Xecuter that helps not only repair most of these related issues but also reinforces better heat protection. It also replaces the current clamps to the heat sinks with one solid universal clamp system that locks in the heat sinks better to the GPU and CPU also. Take a look at the link below to see what is involved and always be careful when performing this repair. Also this kit when ordered comes with all the easy tools you will need to perform the opening of the Xbox and clamp removal with ease. Also highly recommended to use Arctic Silver thermal paste instead of normal replacement for better treatment. Another thing to help with your system, if you have 1st generation heat sinks for the GPU and CPU, be sure to replace them with 2nd generation heat sinks as they offer more protection and are built better to suit your needs.

These can be easily obtained on EBay and are fairly cheap and usually have free shipping on them.

How to open Xbox -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaxIB6cXTYM

How to install The Extreme Repair Kit -

http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87998

WARNING - IF YOU HAVE TRIED THE TOWEL TRICK AND BAKED YOUR XBOX BEYOND BELIEF YOUR XBOX MAY BE BEYOND THIS REPAIR AND MAY HAVE PERMANENTLY DAMAGED THE GPU OR CPU ALREADY!!!

Be careful when performing this procedure as you could do permanent damage to your Xbox. I do not accept any responsibility as to what you use with this information. If you do not feel comfortable performing this task please seek a professional who can do this for you.

thegutta
10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Great share fast999 :)

masterchief07
10-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I personally prefer baking them in the oven, no joke. Works 60% of the time, every time.

http://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/the-ultimate-xbox-360-oven-reflow-tutorial/

But really, it has worked every single time.

CloudStrife7x
10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
nice to know idrivefast999

Serious_M
10-20-2012, 09:44 AM
very nice tut shared idrivefast999

idrivefast999
10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Hmmmm fresh baked Xbox's! Whats for dinner :D Never though about baking them like that before in an oven, nice way to re-flow. That has gotta leave something nasty & toxic behind in the oven though.

Hacker-T
12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
The Towel Trick worked 4 me for 7 Month now.
The First 1-2 weeks it just worked for a few days and got RROD aggain.
1 Week Later i made the Towel trick aggain and runned my RROD Box for 2 Hours with towels.
Removed HDD & pluged off everything. waited a hour. Pluged In ONLY my WLAN Cable to connect 2 the Internet.
Opened Internet Explorer and browsed the Internet for a 30 mins and still no freezes/Errors.

After that I've tried to play a game and it worked without any Freezes played it without HDD 10 Mins later i turned my Xbox Off and plugged IN my HDD and it worked 4 me.

I've noticed that the only way without freezes woks if u've removed everything except the controller and the I Net Connection. Than run an App (NO Video/Music/Game App) Just an App like INET Explorer and play it about 30mins. It worked for me. Otherwise it crashed/freezed and got the damn, fckn ROD aggain!

I used a flashed, 1st Generation, 2006 Build 360 with Samsung Drive

archerz
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I can say that this worked for me all i did was change both of the heat sinks to 2nd gens thanks mate :)

Jassandnick
04-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Very good to know, It's my 3rd Xbox and my second jtag.....

savagepaulsavage
04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I think ive had 3 xboxs in the past 6 years and 2 have RROD and the one ive got now has been set up as RGH. Pain in the arse when one goes.

PUR3 RAF3X
04-11-2013, 10:04 AM
There are still people who really matters in such hold on to.
So I 've never seen one xbox is gone forever after such a fix .This usually it is the case of a ROD not only the solder ball is defective but the MB is warped.Since no help per reball .The Xbox will always get the ROD .

Renegade
04-11-2013, 10:40 AM
The only true way to fix an xbox after getting E74 or RRoD is to replace the GPU and CPU chips..sure the heatsyncs might make it last a little bit longer. But it's still doomed to RRoD.

brianhorrible
04-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I've got my first JTag floating around somewhere that got E74'd. I may want to give this a shot.