PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 4 Will Not Have DRM Against Used Games

CloudStrife7x
06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
http://squareportal.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/ps4.jpg?w=695
Earlier this week, Sony confirmed to Kotaku that they won’t be using any kind of DRM against used games on PlayStation 4. They added that it’s up to game publishers will they add something but Sony won’t be charging any fees if you buy your game from store like GameStop.

Unlike Sony, Microsoft has planned some sort of fees for players who buy their games used. The Xbox One announcement seemed to confuse many people because Microsoft employees gave different answers on used games and DRM.

So, Microsoft may be asking fees as high as full price of the new game. Microsoft stated, we will be hearing more about their policy at E3.

Sony’s answer on used games and DRM:
“At a roundtable this morning, Sony’s game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won’t require that.”

Source: http://squareportal.net/2013/06/01/playstation-4-will-not-have-drm-against-used-games/

drizzy
06-03-2013, 09:48 PM
yesssss even more reasons to get a ps4 and a ps3 :086:
thanks for the info good sir

SiN
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
ummm.. even tho they won't charge you a fee, i bet the game makers will...... sooo good/bad news... i guess..

lickerout
06-03-2013, 11:21 PM
ummm.. even tho they won't charge you a fee, i bet the game makers will...... sooo good/bad news... i guess..
as they said the charge would have to be done by the game maker not them and it's doubtful the makers of the game would add a charge for preowned games for instance ea have stated they will no longer be doing online passes for any of their games in the future so if you buy them preowned you can play online without having to purchase an online pass.

thegutta
06-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Awesome news that's why PS4 is gonna rock the next Gen of gaming great share Cloud :)

Emerald Lance
06-04-2013, 04:49 AM
That's good. Sony is in a perfect position to smear the floor (and walls and ceiling) with Microsoft's Xbox division. And they're making beautiful use of their opportunities. I love it! ^-^

13Dannyboy13
06-06-2013, 06:10 PM
as they said the charge would have to be done by the game maker not them and it's doubtful the makers of the game would add a charge for preowned games for instance ea have stated they will no longer be doing online passes for any of their games in the future so if you buy them preowned you can play online without having to purchase an online pass.
No doubt they will still withhold content though that requires a code like they do now with many games. I have a feeling that there's gotta be a catch somewhere for EA to drop the online passes altogether, they are the worst company hands down for nickle and diming the players to death. I'm definitely leaning towards ps4 over the xbox 1, it seems MS just completely dropped the ball by taking the focus away from what made the console so successful. Can't wait for E3 to see what kind of info they will release.