PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Ditches Xbox One DRM!

Genepool
06-19-2013, 10:37 PM
tl;dr version: All forms of DRM for Xbox One have been ditched, including the 24-hour check in timer and all used game restrictions. It is now an offline capable device (Apart from a one-time setup) and you can freely sell/trade your used games..

"Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year."

Sourcehttp://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

drizzy
06-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Cool now just make the xbox one $100 cheaper, and also kinect should be optional and include a free game for hurting everyone's feelings lol :086:

Idlehands88
06-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Cool, but I'll stick with PS4, Microsoft can't make me like them again.

CodyMP
06-19-2013, 10:55 PM
I agree with Idlehands88, it's too little and too late. I already pre-ordered my PS4 and I still don't want a Kinect. I'll miss you Halo but not that much because I'll be playing Destiny!

8Ball
06-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Nope, i want their dignity on a plate.
Admit your fail for my amusement! Grovel, puppets, grovel!

Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.
Now when i do finally decide to get one, long after their self respect is sold for crack, i can just import it and it will still be cheaper than buying it here.

CloudStrife7x
06-19-2013, 11:19 PM
its good that they are doing this for xbox fans who are getting the xbox one, but i still am not getting a xbox one this year, its just too much money, plus the way ms has been acting has been crap, they could have done this the whole time, and only changed cause they saw how big a backlash they were getting

thegutta
06-19-2013, 11:28 PM
Easy said then done they think just cuz they said is off is really off i think they trying this publicity stunt just to get us to preorder there Cablebox One cuz they know the hole they dig is to deep so is to late now my PS4 is already preorder so I'm sticking with Sony why cuz i know they didn't try to screw me form the beginning so nice try Microsoft go screw somebody else cuz i know who u really are now.

gundambansheefa
06-20-2013, 12:16 AM
i heard its also region free now. you can buy a european game and play on the us xbox one. ill import jap games now, so much dating sims i bet

Noctis Caelum
06-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Looks like im getting a xbox one now. The online community is way better than ps. Damn i was looking foward to playing my ps4, o well

SIKE, fuck ms

69bigplayer69
06-20-2013, 12:28 AM
only thing need to fix now fucking backward compatibility for old games , what an fucking waste ish

reapermech
06-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Looks like im getting a xbox one now. The online community is way better than ps. Damn i was looking foward to playing my ps4, o well

SIKE, fuck ms

:094: lmao

ekardeno
06-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Cool, I was buying one anyway.

davesmith
06-20-2013, 12:54 AM
I guess I still have trust issues. Microsoft can still do a firmware update a year later and put DRM back again.

I'm going with the PS4 this time around and maybe XboxOne couple of years down the road.

Renegade
06-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Eh, I'll get one further down the line. All the real exclusives I want are on the PS4 anyway. Sony has my heart this Gen. Besides there is no definite way to determine that they won't pull this trick out of their ass further down the line. We all know MS are money grabbing assholes. I'll stick with Sony for now.

SiN
06-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Good news... i knew they was going to do this anyways ...lol

Still not getting one this year tho... going to wait for the Xbox One Special Edition Console.... hoping they make a COD: Ghost.... then I'm sold... if not then i'll wait next year.

xBASSxMONSTAx
06-20-2013, 02:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbAefjzovJg

Treatment
06-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Woooooooooooooooo!!!! Still not sold on it. :/

(continues to play Xbox 360)

hamako
06-20-2013, 03:50 AM
I want ps4 but i'm gonna wait till what happens after release. To bad MS has to piss me off for what they did lol. Just because they went 180 with their policies doesn't mean they can't go back to their original policy.

UWSCSS
06-20-2013, 06:18 AM
This just in: PS4 got knocked the fuck out! I was beginning to come to terms with having to buy one anyways because of The Witcher, Fable IV and a few other games I wanted to play, so this makes it a bit easier.

Swiftus
06-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Meh, they could say that Nicole Shirtswinger is giving free blow jobs with every new One and I still wouldn't give them my money. As for the PS4 being "knocked the fuck out", sorry but Sony has won by a One (pun intended) round T.K.O as MS talk a load of shite.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

morbidone76
06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Still not sold on the Xbox One. I will still get a PS4 and MS will be lucky if they get any of my money for the One. They could just as easily change their mind and put that right back in. It would be stupid but it was stupid to be there in the first place.

Sephiroth
06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
new xbox can fly
new xbox can kill zombie
new xbox can burn demon
new xbox can ... take my money :D

New Xbox & PS4 will disappoint you

Don't get your hopes up too high. You might fall down and hurt yourself.
Don't expect too much so you'll never be disappointed.

Guess i was right about the Xbox One.

SIKE, fuck ms

Remember, this is microsoft we are talking about.
Do you think Microsoft will try to put their DRM back at a later date?
-
-
1 or 2 Years later
Year 2014/2015, 99 million Xbox One consoles have been sold worldwide.
Microsoft has announced it will put DRM restrictions on Xbox One (http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one-all-in-one-system-launches-with-new-focus-on-live-tv) games.
-
Microsoft: Thank you all fellow Xbox One owners. We are thinking now about placing the limitations because we are greedy so.. shut up and give us your money and do what we say. Good boy (LOL)
-

NewSheep
06-20-2013, 01:26 PM
That's all well and good but its too little too late. The PS4 is still cheaper even if you add the Eye its still around 30 or 40 cheaper I think. And they didn't make any mention of the always on Kinect? That'd still be a turn off for me.

DragonChild
06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
I lost a little bit of respect for Microsoft when I found out. If you're going to do something then do it, have pride in it.. don't chicken out before even actually doing it!

Squall
06-20-2013, 04:40 PM

-
-
1 or 2 Years later
Microsoft has announced it will put DRM restrictions on Xbox One (http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one-all-in-one-system-launches-with-new-focus-on-live-tv) games.
-
Microsoft: Thank you all fellow Xbox One owners. We are thinking now about placing the limitations because we are greedy so.. shut up and give us your money and do what we say. Good boy (LOL)
-

That's exactly what will happen, I'm glad i pre-ordered a ps4. Killzone Infamous and destiny!! Plus drive club looks pretty cool, maybe it'll give forza a run for its money (I am a HUGE forza fan btw) plus the all important... FINAL FANTASY XV!! I know its a multi console release but man it should be exclusive to its home console! Fuck the xshit one even with all restrictions lifted they'll slide it back in somewhere, Remember guys and gals they said and i quote "We reserve the right to change our policies at any given time" .. meaning DRM Is still lurking no matter what those assholes say! i wish i could of been there when consumer's slapped that prick nelson around the face :D

Shinlucifeh
06-20-2013, 05:31 PM
About time stupid M$... :021: Hope they do not think of another stupid thing to do now ¬¬

g10_glitterboy
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I am glad they reversed their stance on the issue. I also find it quite amusing that people forsake M$ for what they attempted to do. Frankly, I think the game line shown so far for Xbox One crushes PS4. I will get both on day one to compare.

Swiftus
06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I am glad they reversed their stance on the issue. I also find it quite amusing that people forsake M$ for what they attempted to do. Frankly, I think the game line shown so far for Xbox One crushes PS4. I will get both on day one to compare.

Na it's all good we are getting KZ4, Drive Club, 1886: The Order, inFamous: Second Son, Warframe, Planetside 2, Knack and others I can't think of off the top of my head

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Noctis Caelum
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM

-
-
1 or 2 Years later
-
-
Pretty much, i still have my ps4 pre ordered and i actually went back and pre ordered Infamous and Killzone 4

Sadisticserpent
06-27-2013, 02:03 AM
I'm just getting both systems just for the hell of it, but japan will be having plenty of purchase orders coming from me anything gundam related that's good.

UrK
06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Good, DRM is stupid Nobody wanted it.

John Henry Eden
06-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Good, DRM is stupid Nobody wanted it.
True, but you can expect Microsoft to bring it back after a year or two.

NirvanaFanEHW
06-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Very good news, although I'm honestly still undecided between X1 and PS4

reckon
07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
im not buying this. M$ are dirty and can flip the drm policy and bring it back

BobVanDam
07-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Smart move ditching this plus Hattrick, They could actually re-enforce the DRM and people can't sue. I believe it's in their ToS somewhere.