PDA

View Full Version : Online Game Passes...

CLOUD STR1FE
06-02-2011, 05:05 PM
-Battlefield VIP codes
-Mass Effect cerberus code
-HOMEFRONT battle codes
-Mortal Kombat Online access pass
And the list could go on.

I know why they do this. To increase their income and/or persuade people to purchase a new copy of the game as opposed to a used copy. But it kind of unfair. What about those who rent the game to play online and see if they like it so they could purchase it at a later time. Am I the only one who thinks this is not right?

Knives
06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I agree with you there I like to at least play a demo which no1 really puts out anymore before I go and spend 60-80 bucks on a game i dont like

pureIso
06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
-Battlefield VIP codes
-Mass Effect cerberus code
-HOMEFRONT battle codes
-Mortal Kombat Online access pass
And the list could go on.

I know why they do this. To increase their income and/or persuade people to purchase a new copy of the game as opposed to a used copy. But it kind of unfair. What about those who rent the game to play online and see if they like it so they could purchase it at a later time. Am I the only one who thinks this is not right?

That is the point,
Game makers are losing money to pre-owned games. Also imagine the amount of people pirating games these days, doing things this make ensure them getting a little cut.

Daimashin
06-02-2011, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if one day you'll need a pass to play the full game or a pass to unlock the controls.

CLOUD STR1FE
06-02-2011, 07:07 PM
That is the point,
Game makers are losing money to pre-owned games. Also imagine the amount of people pirating games these days, doing things this make ensure them getting a little cut.

I understand where they are coming from but if that's the issue then give the gamertag a 48 hour online trial or something if they don't have a pass. That way they aren't losing anything. Since that's the concern. If people like it they will buy the pass and its a win win situation.

alig200
06-25-2011, 08:41 AM
While it does force people who buy games pre-owned to pay more it supposedly "weeds out piracy." Not to say that some DLC or Costumes or whatever is gonna stop pirates from doing it anyway.

Ravanofdarkness
06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I still think it's total Garbage specially for those that don't Pirate Games and enjoy buying them used and still having to pay for XboxLive.

reapermech
07-08-2011, 03:53 AM
personally i hate this buy a use game 2 weeks later around 5 -10 bucks cheaper then find out it has a online pass then have to spend 10 more bucks to find out that the multiplayer is crap and wanting my money back

in all lower the damn prices on games so that they can sell more units and not have to worry about the used game market as much

nnaatteedd
07-08-2011, 05:17 AM
That is the point, Game makers are losing money to pre-owned games. Also imagine the amount of people pirating games these days, doing things this make ensure them getting a little cut.
I do find it ironicly funny that this is a concern coming from a modding/pirating website, lol. *disclaimer* I mean no ill will or disrespect with that sentence *disclaimer*
But seriously, wanting to work in the industry I understand completely why they feel the need for online passes. If you are renting the game though, you really don't need access to the multiplayer to tell if a games good, because typically the mp is based on or an afterthough of the sp. Hence, if you play sp, the only difference with mp would be real people instead of bots. Yes, the 360ites have to pay a LIVE fee but they are the only ones (out of PS3, PC, Wii and technically phone apps) , so I doubt that is taken into consideration when deciding to implement the online pass.
There was a court hearing recently about selling used pc games on Ebay because of the license. The developers said because you bought the software doesn't mean you own it. The court agreed.
They have to do something to make up for lost revenue from used games, rentals, and pirating as mentioned. So the way I see it, this online pass seems like an unspoken middle ground negotiation to allow the continued sale of used software. I would be glad they're doing this as opposed to stopping the sale of all used games. And they could do it too, think about it. Just start putting EULAs in games that state the software can't be resold and BAM! No more used games; And if you don't agree, you can't play.
Oh, and here's a link to the court case here (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/09/the-end-of-used-major-ruling-upholds-tough-software-licenses.ars)

I agree Reaper, they've semi-slowly crept the price up on games over the years and used games and rentals seem to be the peoples retaliation to high prices. However people are way too contempt with renting (especially gamefly) and preowned, to the point that I think lowering the prices even $10 wouldn't help.

saberdragon18
07-10-2011, 02:51 AM
I like to test games and then decide if I want to buy it. I hate buying new games too expensive. I usually wait about 2 weeks, then buy the game if I like. I even heard some of these new games are going up in price, which makes me mad. I already have to pay to play online. They need to quit charging so much and they might actually sell more games. Like most people say that people pirate games. Most people pay for theirs but just price gets a little too high.

amufery
07-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Depends on the game. If it's something that's out of stock, or is hard to find, I don't have any problems buying it used. Generally, though, I buy it new, for the reason you stated.

sgtgunnerdawg
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Online game passes usually come with a trial version for people who are renting the game, but I still hate them because half the games I dont even want to play online like football or golf, but everytime I start the game up Im warned that I need an online pass and blah blah blah.