PDA

View Full Version : [News] Microsoft won't make Shenmue 3 for Xbox One, wants to "focus on our own franchises"

THUMBS
04-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm not likely to have one of our first party studios build Shenmue," says Spencer
Newly promoted Head of Xbox Phil Spencer has once again taken to Twitter to field questions about Shenmue 3, a game Microsoft would love to have on Xbox One, but not a game that Microsoft is actually developing.

Some bright spark created a fake trademark for the probably-mythical project last November, cue a hurricane of speculation. Spencer and other platform execs have been repeatedly pressed on the subject, much to their bemusement and consternation. "There is just no winning in answering Shenmue questions," he ruefully observed yesterday. "I'm not likely to have one of our first party studios build Shenmue."14502That's not to say that Microsoft doesn't want the game full stop, of course. "I'd welcome Shenmue on XBOX, just not something our first party is going to build," said Spencer, adding that "I'd rather have us focusing on our own franchises".

If you ask me, releasing the game would be the biggest mistake any company could make at this point - pent-up hope and expectation is such that the experience would inevitably fall short. Right? On the other hand, Shenmue 3 would make a formidable Xbox One exclusive.

devilswarchild
04-03-2014, 06:48 PM
well darnit...... i was really hoping for this to come out